Clinic Plus is a brand of shampoo that is targeted towards young girls who aspire to have long and healthy hair. The brand that is owned by HUL gives confidence to mother who struggles with the air problems faced by their daughters who are in their pre-teens. Clinic Plus has a set of products which cater to all kinds of hair and also resolve a multitude of problems like itchy scalp, dandruff, dry and frizzy hair.
Clinic Plus claims to have milk protein as its main ingredient which increases the strength of hair and also helps to prevent hair fall. The shampoo is sold in three different variants – natural, anti-dandruff and hair fall control. The shampoo also has a daily care shampoo which is meant for customers who wish to wash their hair every day. The shampoo Clinic Plus is sold in India, Pakistan, Indonesia, Sri Lanka and the Philippines.
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Clinic Plus
The following are the strengths of Clinic Plus:
- Association with HUL: Hindustan Unilever has a number of successful products in skin and hair care like Dove, Sunsilk, Tresemme etc. The strong background of the company in product research and creation of products that are customer savvy.
- Addresses most hair issues of target segment: Clinic Plus has a set of products which cater to all kinds of hair and also resolve a multitude of problems like itchy scalp, dandruff, dry and frizzy hair. Clinic Plus claims to have milk protein as its main ingredient which increases the strength of hair and also helps to prevent hair fall.This almost is a comprehensive list of hair issues.
- Right targeting: The haircare market has become more fragmented and each company targets niche segments. The target segment for Clinic Plus is the pre-teen girls who have a lot of hair issues and they try to target this group through their mothers who struggle to maintain long hair. This is the right target audience for the brand and it ensures consistent.
- First mover advantage: Clinic Plus was the first shampoo to be launched in the anti-dandruff line. In fact, it was the first product to introduce Indian mothers to the concept of an anti-dandruff shampoo. This has always worked to the brand’s advantage.
- Features: The shampoo Clinic Plus has been developed with a clear understanding of the hair wash habits of the Indian. It is customary for Indians to apply oil prior to shampooing and Clinic Plus removes oil and leaves a refreshing smell after each wash. These features have been responsible for the popularity of the brand.
- Right positioning: The positioning of Clinic Plus has been directed towards the right problem. The brand follows a need-based positioning and the need addressed by the brand is that for healthy and strong hair.Through slice of life ads which mostly have involved a mother-daughter duo, the positioning has been communicated effectively to the audience.
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Clinic Plus
Some of the key weaknesses of Clinic Plus are :
- Change of positioning: HUL made an attempt to reposition Clinic Plus as a shampoo in the premium category for which it changed the packaging and the color. However, customers were highly reluctant to accept the makeover and the sales declined sharply. Competitors like Head & Shoulders from P & G capitalized on this mistake.
- Inability to satisfy rural customers: Though HUL through its widespread distribution network could reach the shampoo to rural customers, the acceptance was low since they lacked the awareness about the need for a shampoo for dandruff.
- Negative publicity against chemicals: Online sources have created a huge movement against the usage of chemicals in hair and skin care products. This has resulted in people preferring to use ayurvedic or organic shampoos which have hit the sales of the brand drastically.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Clinic Plus
Some of the opportunities include :
- Huge market Potential: The hair care market has a lot of opportunities for growth in hair concerns and poor water quality. Some of the areas where growth is expected include anti –hairfall, dry and itchy scalp and conditioning.These needs can all be used to churn out new variants.
- Men’s cosmetics: In India, there is an increased focus in the domain of men’s skin and hair care products. Though some companies have hair gels for men there has not been the specific shampoo for boys in their pre-teens.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Clinic Plus
Some of the threats include:
- Competition: The main competitors of Clinic Plus is Head & Shoulders, Pantene. Loreal and Dove.
- Brand switching – There is just too much brand switching in the shampoo market. Because of the huge variety, people keep trying new brands and leaving old brands.
- Customer acquisition costs – Because of the brand switching, customer acquisition costs are higher affecting the bottomline. Lot of trade discounts and sales promotions have to be run to get good profitability.