The human resource manager is the professional who is entrusted with overseeing the human resources department in an organization. He ensures that his team carries out all the tasks and functions related to this department in an efficient manner.
HR managers are generally part of most industries like banks, universities, hospitals, insurance companies, etc.
Job Description and Responsibilities
The human resource manager job description includes the following
- The responsibility of human resource manager jobs is working towards the development of human resources system, goals, and objectives
- He is responsible for the recruitment of all employees
- The HR manager is responsible for employee orientation as well as counseling
- The HR manager has to create, analyze and update the evaluation program of the company
- The HR manager job description includes benefits administration
- The HR manager has to modify and maintain the handbook of the company on policies and procedures
- The HR manager job description includes modifying existing job descriptions and creating new ones that will benefit the company as well as the employees
- Human resource manager jobs include ensuring overall evaluation and administration of human resources plans, processes as well as programs.
- The HR manager’s job description includes planning, controlling, and organizing the actions and all the relevant activities of the human resource management department.
- He is the one who maintains records and reports of all departments along with organizational charts and company directory
- The HR manager takes part in administrative meetings. He is the one who recommends new approaches and policies
- The HR manager has a significant hand in modifying and later implementing the compensation plan of an organization
- The HR manager has to conduct surveys related to annual salaries.
- He is also entrusted with creating, analyzing, and updating the salary budget of the company
- HR manager job description includes maintaining action programs
- The HR manager is entrusted with creating, analyzing, and updating personal procedures and policies of the company
- The HR manager has to oversee the exit interviews in the organization
Qualification of the Human Resource Manager
An HR manager must possess skills like
1. Ethical skills
An HR manager needs to have strong ethical skills so that he can take fair decisions at important points
2. Speaking skills
The HR manager must have excellent speaking skills as he will have to communicate his thoughts and directions clearly to concerned employees
HR managers have to interact with numerous people and collaborate with teams and individuals regularly. They must have powerful interpersonal skills to create positive working relationships with one and all
4. Leadership qualities
One of the essential skills that an HR manager must have is leadership skills. His responsibilities include overseeing operations, directing staff, coordinating activities, and ensuring all the organizational duties are being fulfilled. He needs to be a strong leader to undertake all these responsibilities effectively.
The human resource manager will have to manage several tasks and projects at one go, and this is why it is essential to have organizational skills
6. Decision-making skills
The HR manager will have to weigh the pros and cons before making every decision as it will have a direct impact on both operations and employees. He must have the ability to handle tough decisions with an impartial mind.
An HR manager must be well-educated with at least 5-year of work experience. He should have a proper bachelor’s degree, for instance
- Bachelor of Arts in Human Resource Management
- Bachelor of Science in Human Resource Management
- Bachelor of Arts in Management with a concentration in HR
- Bachelor of Science in Management with a concentration in HR
- Bachelor of Business Administration(BBA) with a concentration in any one of the following
- Industrial relations
- Organizational behavior
- Human resources
- Management and leadership
As per the reports published by the US Department of Labor, the individuals who have a Masters’s degree have the best chance of becoming an HR manager. People with good knowledge of employment law, policies, and human resources are also in high demand. The most popular graduate degrees then are
- Master of Arts in Human Resource Management
- Master of Science in Human Resource Management
- Master of Arts in Management with an HR concentration
- Master of Science in Management with an HR concentration
- Master of Business Administration(MBA) with a concentration in any one of the following
- Industrial Relations
- Organizational Behaviour
- Human Resource Management / Organizational leadership
- Labour Relations
- Human Capital Development
- Leadership Development
According to the recent reports 2019, the Median pay of Human Resource Managers was 116,720 dollars per year that amounts to 56.11 dollars on an hourly basis. Projected growth is at 7%, with an employment change for 2018 – 2028 at 10,800. The Median annual wages in top industries the same year were as follows-
- Healthcare -99,380 dollars
- Manufacturing – 115,510 dollars
- Professional, scientific, and technical services – 131,340 dollars
In India, an HR manager has a national average salary of Rs 10 18,765. In TCS or Tata Consultancy Services, it is an estimated 12,34,236 rupees per year, in ICICI Bank 14,87,316 rupees per year and Deloitte 19,85,438 rupees per year.
Advantages of Being a Human Resource Manager
The advantages of being an HR manager are as follows
- The advantage of being an HR manager is that it facilitates better growth.
- A person is exposed to several opportunities for better remuneration
- The individual in that position holds financial authority in the organization. He is considered a compelling person
- A person learns the art of better management skills. This knowledge will prove a blessing in the coming years
- The advantage of being an HR manager is that it provides better job satisfaction
- Working as an HR manager will no doubt boost the communication skills of the individual
Disadvantages of Being a Human Resource Manager
The disadvantages of being an HR manager are as follows
- The disadvantage of being an HR manager is that he is expected to maintain a distance from the employees so that he can act impartially, but this makes him look aloof and arrogant in the eyes of other employees
- The job of HR manager does not have recognition value. All good deeds are credited to the Human Resource Management team and not the HR manager
- The HR manager is expected to have lots of experience and act in the best possible manner at all times. This expectancy can create undue pressure on the manager and result in stress, anxiety, or any other issues
- The position of HR manager has several legal responsibilities. If not appropriately handled, he can face serious legal repercussions
The human resource manager is the bridge between the employees and the organization in which he works. He is the one who consults with the top executives for strategic planning and is entrusted with coordinating and directing all the related administrative functions.