WordPress is an excellent Content Management System for almost all your requirements – may it be creating a blog or a website. It offers an attractive option for adding practically any type of content easily.
One of the best options it helps you out is in adding images to your blog post or pages. Are you checking out the options for inserting images in WordPress? Let us tell how you can add images to your WordPress blog posts.
How to Add Images to WordPress?
While WordPress lets you add images and other visual content to your WordPress blog post and pages, you can even create your own WordPress media gallery. Some of the things you can do with WordPress regarding images and other visual content can be summarised as follows –
- Add images to your WordPress posts and pages.
- Edit the images you have added to the posts.
- Create a gallery of your images.
We will check out each of these options one by one.
How to add Images to WordPress Posts?
To begin with, you will need to create the post with consideration in mind that where you want to add images. Once the post is completed, you can follow the steps below to add them. Please note that before adding images to your WordPress posts and pages, you will either need to download the images or create them depending on your preferences.
Make sure you have the images in the proper size and format. If they aren’t, you may need to format them accordingly to make them suitable for your blog design and theme. The ideal forms are JPG, GIF or PNG. The JPG format is one of the most preferred as other formats may not work efficiently.
If you are adding an image to the already existing article, you will need to click on Posts -> All Posts from your dashboard. Choose the post you want to add images to and click on Edit option.
- Click at the position where you want to add images inside the post content. Take care when positioning your cursor. It is advisable to place it at the beginning of a paragraph, or in a new paragraph altogether.
- Click on the Add media at the top, just below the post title.
- You will find a window pop up with the options for uploading your videos or images. Choose the Upload Files tab if it is not already chosen.
- You can browse for the photo by choosing the option Select Files and then find the file that you want to add. You can even use the drag and drop function for adding your files.
- Once the file is uploaded, add the details like image alt text, and other information and then click on Insert into post.
That does it. Your image will be added to the post at the specified location. You can continue adding other images as per your preferences by clicking at the area where you have planned to add the images.
You can employ the same technique for adding images to your WordPress pages.
How to Create Image Gallery in WordPress?
You can even create a photo gallery in WordPress so that you can display multiple images at once on a post or page.
The procedure will be similar to the one where we added images to the post or page in WordPress. Here are the steps you will need to follow –
- Go to your post editor as in the previous example.
- Click on Add media in the same way as in the previous tutorial.
Choose Create Gallery from the menu on the left sidebar
- Choose the images you would want to add to the gallery. You can even drag and drop the images.
Once you have added the required images to the gallery, click on Create a new gallery.
- Next pop up will let you edit the settings for the images in the gallery. Some of the settings will include providing a caption and changing the file size.
- Once you have performed all the settings, you can click on Insert Gallery for adding the images to the gallery.
The Options you need to add to the Images
What are the details you can add to the images you have added to the post or page in WordPress? Here is complete information on the dialog boxes on Add Media option –
URL – This refers to the URL of the image being added to the post. WordPress automatically populates this. It may not be necessary to change these settings.
Title – Add the title for the image. Make sure it is relevant to the content inside the post. It would be a good idea to add your focus keyword to the title.
Caption – You can add the detail if your theme supports image captions. If your theme does not support it, the functionality may not be needed.
Description – This may not be needed unless you want to add it for information purpose. It does not affect the functionality in any manner.
Alt Text – This is an important element from the SEO point of view. Include your focus keyword in your alt text. Ideally, you can keep the title and alt text similar. Search engines identify the alt text and thus it is an essential aspect for better SEO performance.
Alignment –This specifies the positioning of your images. You can choose any of the options among Left, Right, and Centre. If you are placing the image with text, using the left or right option will excellently wrap the text. However, for all practical purposes, we recommend opting for the center option.
Link URL – This is ideally left blank. You can link it to Media File so that you can let the users enlarge the image.
Size – Choose the right size as per your exact needs.
How to edit an image after it is inserted in a post?
WordPress also lets you edit the image after it has been inserted. Here is how you can do it –
- Click on the required image to select it.
- Click on the edit option represented by the pencil icon.
- You can even delete the image directly.
You can opt for several editing functions with ease.
The Media Library
WordPress stores all the image you have added to your WordPress posts in one location. It can help you retrieve or edit the pictures without having to search for them in the respective posts.
The Media Library can be accessed through the following procedure –
Click on ‘Media’ on your WordPress dashboard and then click on ‘Gallery’. You can even use this option to add more images to your Media Library and use them in your posts in the future.
This feature can help you have your own media collection so that you can straightaway add images to your library when you create or use them. You can add the relevant images to the posts you create later on.
The Parting Thoughts
Well, for those of you who were confused about adding images to your WordPress posts and pages, we assume we have packed in almost all the information related to the task in this post. If you are still in doubt, you may ask your questions via comments so that we can address them.