Toblerone is a premium brand of chocolate owned by the confectioner Mondelez International. The chocolate which in popularity for its different shape as well as signature flavours is popular amongst all age groups of people across the world. The popular variants of Toblerone currently available in the market are Toblerone White, Toblerone Dark, Toblerone Fruit & Nut, Toblerone Milk and Toblerone Tiny.
The chocolate which was introduced in 1908 has undergone numerous changes with time but continues to retain its shape which is its core differentiator. The chocolate has also been associated with interesting advertisements that were largely responsible for evoking curiosity and interest amongst customers. Toblerone that is consumed across the world is manufactured in just one factory located in Bern-Brünnen.
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Toblerone
The following are the strengths of Toblerone:
- Shape: Toblerone was introduced into the already competitive Swiss chocolate market and what made it stand apart then and now is its unique shape.The chocolate consists of a series of triangular pieces each of which can be broken easily and eaten as individual units. This shape is the unique selling proposition of the chocolate.
- Popularity: Toblerone is easily one of the most popular chocolate brands in the world with presence in almost 120 countries. Almost 98 % of Toblerone chocolates are exported. Time Magazine has indicated that Toblerone is one of the world’s most influential chocolate bars of all times.
- Suitable for all kinds of people: Each chocolate has a specific target group but Toblerone is suitable for people of all age groups. The milk chocolate and the white chocolate from Toblerone is popular with kids and adults while the dark chocolate, as well as fruit and nut, has the huge fan following amongst grown –ups.
- Strong Swiss Association: Toblerone has numerous features that associate it strongly to Switzerland. The shape of the chocolate is inspired by the peaks of the Swiss Alps and the richness is characteristic of Swiss milk chocolates. The symbol of the Toblerone indicates its place of production Bern-Brünnen.
- Good Marketing: Toblerone has always been positioned as a luxury chocolate brand and it has been promoted differently in different countries. In the USA it gained popularity by associating itself with the serial Friends in the nineties. In India, it is positioned as a chocolate for gifting. The brand has also been omnipresent in social media. The Facebook page, as well as the Twitter handle of the brand, has a lot of fan following which increases the online visibility of the brand.
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Toblerone
Some of the key weaknesses ofTobleroneare :
- Expensive: Toblerone is an expensive chocolate and is positioned in the premium segment in every country it is sold in. Thus the brand has to look at value and not volumes for its returns. Considering poor margins it may not be able to sustain in the long run.
- Controversies in the redesign: Mondelez International recently announced that the gaps between the triangular peaks in Toblerone will widen. This created a lot of controversies as customers objected to the move.
- The high cost of raw materials: The reason why Swiss Chocolates stand apart from other types is that of the quality of raw materials used in them. Toblerone is finding it increasingly difficult to keep the prices of an already expensive chocolate bar with increasing prices. Though they have made the chocolate leaner in design how long they can sustain with the same price is questionable.
- Negative marketing on social media: The decision to cut down the size if Toblerone to save on costs and to keep the prices the same has faced a lot of backlash on social media. The negative comments that have appeared on both Facebook and Twitter pages of the brand will impact its image for a long time to come.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Toblerone
Some of the opportunities include :
- Gifting Culture: Globally the gifting culture has changed and it is now considered trendy to gift chocolates. Premium chocolates like Toblerone are thus positioning themselves in the gifting category now, a move which will open up a lot of new opportunities for the brand.
- Healthy chocolate: There is a lot of content being shared online on the health benefits of dark chocolate and customers are now preferring to have dark chocolate on a regular basis since it is supposed to be rich in antioxidants. This is expected to create a surge in demand for dark chocolate and sugar-free chocolates globally.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Toblerone
Some of the threats include:
- Competition: Some of the major competitors of Toblerone are Lindt, Ferrero Rocher and Ghirardelli.