Do you want to make your resume impressive enough, so your recruiter could not resist from calling you? Then you need to know the example of skills best suited for your new jobs. You should inculcate the most crucial ones in yourself (and if possible other ones as well), and then you can add those into your resume.
Frankly speaking, resume forms the most crucial gateway for you to get your dream job! It creates the first step of getting into the most admired situation!
Many people run in a race, but only one win. The reason is pretty simple; it’s all about what strategy people follow. Resume forms a significant part of your strategy for landing you in front of the interviewers of some great job posts.
You must have heard the phrase “the first impression is the last impression” In a job selection procedure; your resume presents your first impression. It can break or make your career.
However, preparing a resume takes a lot of effort and asks for your attention to its different sections. One such a critical part is the skills section. It becomes crucial for you to mention your skills in your resume according to what the employers seek in you.
People tend to make many mistakes in preparing their skills section and being rejected in their dream jobs. The hiring team focuses on searching relevant skills in their candidates’ applicants, and thus the skill section becomes the center of attention.
Thus, to help you out in clean bowling the HR with your picture-perfect resume, the following sections give you an exact layout of the critical examples of skills you should introduce in your resume.
The sections will also give you some basic knowledge of what various types of skills are and how you can partition your resume in different parts according to your skills.
Without wasting much time, dive into the minute details of what an ideal resume should have.
What are skills?
Skills can be your natural talent or something in which you expertise. They can be divided into two types:
- Life skills
- Professional skills
When we talk about a resume, mentioning some amazing professional skills can pave the way for you to slide into the limelight.
But professional skills offer many sets of skills that people often get confused with.
The different types of professional skills which you can generally find are:
- Hard skills
- Soft skills
- Domain – general skills
- Domain-specific skills
However, the following section will focus on two critical professional skills: soft skills and hard skills as they shape up your resume.
Type of Skills
The two types of skills which you must have before filling up your resume are:
1. Hard skills
Hard skills include technical skills that you acquire under training. These skills denote your expertise in the specific work arena which you have gathered by experience.
Hiring officials look for hard skills on every application, making it an important criterion.
There are many traditional hard skills which you can find on different resumes. But some of the most famous ones are given below.
Some of the common examples of hard skills are:
- Skills in the machinery sector – these skills include driving a particular machine, like road roller or pallet stacker.
- Skills in the software section – expertise in any of the software like Ableton Live The suit, Adobe Creative Suite or any other software
- Expertise in tools – Many online tools require experience and knowledge for smooth working. For example – SEM, SEO, Google analytics and much more
- Languages – The hard Skills also include your expertise in different languages like French, Spanish or any other language
- Expertise in coding languages – Python, C++
- It could be any technical skills related to your job profile
2. Soft Skills
Soft skills mainly include your habits and how you bond with others around you.
Your soft skills help the hiring team understand what type of employee they would have in their organization. They would know on a personal level.
And as every employer looks for a mixture of soft skills and hard skills, they want to look at what soft skills you offer.
These skills show your behavioral response. Some examples of these skills are:
- Communication skills
- How you work as a team
- Your responsibility skills
- Problem skills
- Leadership skills
- Your adapting skills
For understanding the differences between these two skills, you need to go through two parameters on which you can differentiate between these two skills.
1. How can you obtain these skills?
Hard skills – These skills can be obtained through experience, education, and training.
Soft skills – These skills are obtained by different phases of your life, during, or after work.
2. How can you use these skills?
The hard skills are used directly for the job; however, soft skills can be used indirectly in a post or daily life.
Now the question, which is the more essential skills which you should include in your resume?
Have a look below.
Which are more important examples of Skills for your resume?
Both (Hard & Soft) these skills are equally crucial for giving your resume a perfect look.
If we look at tough jobs, hard skills come to more limelight as employers look for specific skills in their employers. The primary reason behind this is that companies are looking for candidates who can offer more resources.
On the other hand, some of the companies are also seen hiring candidates with amazing soft skills.
Thus, both skills form a complementary pair.
Why and how you should skill on a resume?
The skills section forms one of the essential parts of creating a resume.
You must be wondering about what difficulties you might find in just listing the skills?
The answer is- it could be tough if you don’t have the right knowledge of how to organize your skills.
These days, the companies have become advanced in selecting candidates, as they have started using an applicant tracking system.
This system helps the company go through a considerable number of applications daily. The system scrutinizes your requests for specific keywords that match the requirements of the company.
Thus, it becomes essential to mention your skills, which match the company’s requirements in your resume.
How can you organize your skills in the resume?
- Mention skills that are relevant to the job you are looking for.
- Make sure you mention your proficiency in the skills:
- Beginner – if you are still learning
- Intermediate – if you have used the skills practically
- Advanced – If you can teach the skills to beginners
- Expert – You are excellent in the skills
- Mention your transferable skills which you can use while switching careers
- Use 2-4 universal skills in your resume
- Comprehensive skills can be your soft skills, which you can use in all sorts of jobs.
- Mention few skills in your introduction
100+ Examples of Skills for your resume
In case you are confused about what skills should go into your resume, you must have a look at the below section as it will give you some examples of what skills can be a good entry for your resume.
Examples of Soft Skills
In some job opportunities, your soft skills can be more important than hard skills.
As major companies these days are focusing on hiring candidates with more behavioral skills than hard skills.
However, if you are more experienced in hard skills, try focusing more on mentioning hard skills in the resume.
The soft skills which are high in demand these days are:
- Time Management skills
- Good communication skills
- Good emotional intelligence
- The ability of critical thinking
- High concentration level
- Effective conflict management
- Adept stress management
- Organization and productivity
- Ability to adapt, etc.
Examples of Management Skills
Management is one of the most important job profiles that, for sure, need specific examples of skills. It also needs a good mix of hard and soft skills.
Some of the key skills for management jobs are-
- Six Sigma techniques
- The McKinsey 7s Framework
- Porter’s Five Forces
- Emotional Intelligence
- Dealing with work-related stress
- Task delegation
- Technological savviness
- People management
- Business Development
- Strategic Management
- Proposal writing
Examples of Technical Skills
Technical jobs are one of the most searched jobs around the world.
For making the right impression in front of your recruiters, some of the examples of skills for technical jobs are-
- CRM Software Expertise
- Microsoft Office Pack: Word, Excel, Access, Publisher, Outlook, PowerPoint
- Product knowledge
- Filing and paper management
- Data entry
- Research and data analysis
- Cloud networking and file sharing
- Bookkeeping through Excel or TurboTax
- Basic knowledge of user interface communication
- Technical writing
- Web development
- Cloud management
- Email Marketing
Examples of Sales Skills
The next types of jobs that are preferably searched around the world of sales jobs and some of the key skills are there that you have to include in your resume.
So, let us have looked upon some of those examples of skills-
- Customer Relationship Management (CRM)
- Public speaking
- Lead generation
- Buyer-Responsive selling
- Buyer engagement
- Product knowledge
- Effective communication and sociability
- Social media/digital communication
- Time management
Examples of Marketing Skills
Marketing jobs are again one of the most preferred career choices for the professional across the world.
There are some of the skills that are very important for marketing jobs. Let us go through examples of skills best-suited for marketing jobs-
- Data analysis
- Web analytics
- HTML & CSS
- Email marketing
- Web scraping
- CRO and A/B Testing
- Data visualization & pattern-finding through critical thinking
- Search Engine and Keyword Optimization
- Project/campaign management
- Social media and mobile marketing
- Paid social media advertisements
- B2B Marketing
- The 4 P-s of Marketing
- Consumer Behavior Drivers
- Brand management
- CMS Tools
Examples of Accounting and Financing Skills
Business, commerce, finance, and accounting sectors are also responsible for a wide variety of jobs, and for applying for such jobs, there are some key skills that professionals need to include in their resume.
Some of the examples of skills important for accounting and financing jobs are-
- Microsoft Excel (Advanced)
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Big Data Analysis & SQL
- Know Your Customers (KYC)
- Cognos Analytics (IBM)
- Visual Basic
- Accounting Software
- Revenue recognition
- Anti Money Laundering
- Clear communication
- General business knowledge
- Numerical competence
- Attention to detail
Examples of Design Skills
There are many jobs in design sectors, and creative designers keep on looking for the best-suited opportunities.
Let us have a look upon the examples of skills considered best for the design jobs-
- Adobe Creative Suite: Illustrator, InDesign, Photoshop
- HTML & CSS
- Photo editing
- Typography: spacing, line height, layout, choosing fonts
- Targeting and marketing through visual communications
- Logo creation
- Digital printing
- Integration of visual communication in social media platforms
- Attention to detail & aesthetics
- Interactive media design
- Color sense & theory
- Ad design
- Active listening
Examples of Web Development Skills
Along with designing, web development jobs are other job opportunities that are considered quite prevalent at the time when the world is going digital.
Some of the most crucial examples of skills for web development jobs are-
- CSS preprocessors
- Graphic User Interfaces (GUI)
- Git/Version Control (Github, GitLab)
- Search Engine Optimization (SEO)
- Application Programming Interface (API)
- Adobe Photoshop, InDesign
- Content Management Systems (CMS)
- Responsive design principles
Examples of Education Skills
Education jobs are also essential, and if you are applying for education jobs, you need to incorporate some specific skills along with the aforementioned soft skills.
Let us go through some of the examples of skills for education jobs-
- Updated curriculum knowledge
- Research & Data analysis
- Educational platforms (software like Elearn)
- Stress management
- Technological & digital literacy
- Critical thinking
Examples of Business Analytics Skills
Analytics jobs are also gaining lots of popularity around the world, and for getting hired for such job opportunities, you need to acquire some of the key skills.
Let us go through examples of skills necessary for the business analytics jobs-
- SQL (a must) and Hive (optional)
- Programming language (R, Python, Scala, Matlab)
- STATA, SPSS, SAS
- Data Mapping
- Entity Relationship Diagrams
- Big Data tools
- Microsoft Visio
- Agile Business Analysis
- Machine learning
- System Context Diagrams
- Business Process Modeling
- Technical and non-technical communication
Examples of Healthcare and Nursing Skills
There are many jobs in the healthcare and nursing industry, and to get hired in these jobs, it is essential to have some of the specific skills.
Some of the skills that you should incorporate for nursing and healthcare jobs-
- Patient care and assistance
- Paperwork/record-keeping abilities
- Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS)
- Attention to detail
- Physical endurance
- Acute care
- Infection control
- Surgery preparation
On the concluding note, we hope you would have understood some of the specific examples of skills for particular kinds of jobs in different niches.
For optimizing your chances of getting hired, you must have an attractive, well laid out skills section in your resume. This section helps your application to pass through the scrutiny round.
Many companies have started using an applicant tracking system, which helps the company see-through only those candidates who have mentioned the required skill in their resume.
Thus, you need to mention the relevant skills in your resume. There are two types of skills you can mention on your resume: hard skills and soft skills. The significant difference between these two sets of skills is that you can use the hard skills directly in your job but can apply soft skills indirectly in both your job and life.
Organize your list of skills accurately to highlight the skills which you have more expertise in. It will improve your chances of getting into every interview round.
Thus, preparing the skills section with the above tips will become quite easy for you if you keep everything in mind. Try making a perfect resume by following the above tips, as you might just grab a huge opportunity by giving an eye-catchy resume to your employers!
What kind of jobs are you looking for? Did you find the examples of skills best suited for your job profile? Share your views with us in the comment section below.
Alternatively, check out the Marketing91 Academy, which provides you access to 10+ marketing courses and 100s of Case studies.