Cheetos is a corn-meal snack with cheese flavor, and PepsiCo is its mother company. It was first introduced in the USA in 1948 and globally later on. The best market of Cheetos is in the US, and the annual sales of 2010 were $4 million. Along with the original Cheetos, there are also 21 other types of Cheetos found in North America.
Cheetos has spread over more than 38 countries, and every country has some additional Cheetos flavor according to the regional preferences. Cheetos never stop on experimenting, and they have launched flavors like Strawberry Cheetos in Japan. In 2010 Cheetos was the 11thlargest brand in Pepsi Co.
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Cheetos
Strengths of a company help in setting themselves ahead of their competitors in the market. Here are some of the strengths that Cheetos has:
- A strong mother company: As said Cheetos is a brand by PepsiCo which is a well-known brand in the snacks and drinks industry. They have a lot of tactics to do their best in the field.
- A huge market: Cheetos may have originated in the US, but it can spread itself to more than 38 countries which have created a larger market for themselves.
- Different flavors: Along with the classic cheese flavors Cheetos have diversified themselves to include several flavors like Flamin’ Hot Cheetos and Baked Cheetos. They have also launched flavors based on the regions that they have introduced themselves in.
- Good Advertisement Tactics: Every kid and adult is able to recognize Chester Cheetah who is the mascot of Cheetos. He is lovable and is witty as well. Cheetos have also targeted the youth quite well to raise their market even more.
- The first in their field: Cheetos was the first one to introduce cheese puffs, and that is the reason for them holding the market quite well. The flavor that they have is unique and the ingredients used are best for others.
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Cheetos
Weaknesses are places where a company can definitely improve themselves to have a better market. Here are some weaknesses that Cheetos have:
- Other corn chips competitors: Other companies like Doritos are also gaining popularity due to their claims of being better and due to strong advertisements. Even on an international level Cheetos is facing competition from local brands coming up with cheese puffs.
- The quotient of unhealthiness: People are getting health conscious, and people are not fond of having fried chips anymore. Also, people with cheese or gluten allergies are not able to consume Cheetos.
- Competition from its own mother company: Lays is another brand from the PepsiCo, and it is loved around the world. People, in general, have been seen to prefer potato chips more than any kind of snack presented in the market.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Cheetos
Opportunities are moments that the company can seize to make they better in the market. Here are some of the opportunities that Cheetos has:
- Expansion to more countries: The best way to make a global market is to increase the countries that one is dealing with. Cheetos can easily incorporate more countries under their arms and set themselves at a better growth.
- The inclusion of more flavors: As other companies are introducing a lot more flavors Cheetos should do the same. Some international flavors can be made to interest the people into it.
- Including healthier options: As eating of snacks is often considered an addiction, Cheetos can launch something healthier. They should improve their ingredients and utilize healthy oils. Along with that creating options for people who are allergic to the normal Cheetos will also lead to a better market.
- Increase in their advertisement and visibility on the internet: Cheetos has somewhat lagged in their advertisement in the last few years. They should revamp their advertisements to catch people’s eyes. Also, they should tie up with big chains to make something new happen to entice their followers. They should include more campaigns on social media sites as they help in pulling in more followers.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Cheetos
Threats present in the market can often lead to the downfall of the company and their business. Here are some probable threats of Cheetos:
- Fall in customer base due to its unhealthiness: Parents and youths are getting health conscious, and the unhealthy content and high calorie of Cheetosare making them stop eating it.
- Association of it with binge eating: As Cheetos is a snack it is backlashed by the media for being an unhealthy snack and as a leading cause of obesity.
- Marketing is done by the competitors: Other snack producers are constantly trying to take their place by advertisement. Often they portray themselves as a healthier option.
Alternatively, check out the Marketing91 Academy, which provides you access to 10+ marketing courses and 100s of Case studies.