The Marketing mix of Canara Bank analyses the 7Ps of Canara Bank which includes the Product, Price, Place, Promotion, people, physical evidence and process of Canara Bank. Canara Bank is a public bank in India and is state-owned. It has the distinction of being one of the earliest banks in India and was established in Mangalore in 1906. Its present headquarters are situated in Bangalore in the state of Karnataka. It was nationalized by the government in 1969. Canara Bank deals in the banking sector and provides various financial services. It was the first bank to offer consultancy services that are agriculture-based. It faces competition from banks like:
- Allahabad Bank
- Andhra Bank
About Canara Bank
- Type: Public sector bank
- Industry: Banking
- Founded: 1 July 1906
- Founders: Ammembal Subba Rao Pai
- Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka, India
- Area served: India, London, Dubai, New York
- Current CEO: Rakesh Sharma
- Number of employees: 220,000
- Major products: Savings accounts, current accounts, loans, investments, insurance, and foreign exchange
Table of Contents
Canara Bank Product Strategy
Canara Bank has achieved numerous milestones and has an unmatched brand equity reputation as one of the most proficient banks in India.
- Savings and Current Accounts: Basic banking services offer different savings and current accounts tailored to meet the needs of individual customers, businesses, and other organizations.
- Deposits: A range of deposit products such as fixed deposits, recurring deposits, tax-saving deposits, and other savings schemes designed to offer customers options for saving money with attractive interest rates.
- Loans and Advances: A comprehensive suite of loan products, including personal loans, home loans, education loans, vehicle loans, loans against property, and business loans, to meet the financial needs of individuals and businesses.
- Credit Cards: Various credit cards cater to different customer needs, offering benefits such as reward points, cashback, and discounts on purchases.
- Investment Services: Offering customers options to invest in mutual funds, government securities, bonds, and other investment products through the bank’s investment services.
- Insurance Products: Tying up with insurance companies to provide life, health, and general insurance products to protect customers against various risks.
- Digital Banking Services: Internet banking, mobile banking, and other digital channels enable customers to conduct online banking transactions.
- NRI Services: Specialized banking and financial services tailored for Non-Resident Indians (NRIs), including NRI accounts, loans, and investment options.
- Corporate and SME Banking: Customized banking solutions for corporate and small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs), including working capital finance, term loans, trade finance, and treasury products.
- Agricultural and Rural Banking: Products and services designed specifically for the farm sector and rural customers, including agricultural loans, microfinance, and other rural banking services.
- Wealth Management Services: Advisory services for wealth management, offering high net worth individuals (HNIs) and corporates advice on managing and growing their wealth.
Canara Bank Place Strategy
Canara Bank has a vast network of branches spread across all parts of India to provide numerous services to its customers. It had nearly 5784 branches by the end of 2015, and its ATM numbers were 9153 at 4081 centers. Canara Bank was the first bank to go for an ATM Network at the inter-city level and issue farmers’ credit cards.
In 1976, its international division was established, and offices were in numerous places worldwide, such as New York, Dubai, South Africa, Bahrain, Doha, Shanghai, Moscow, Hong Kong, and London. The bank undertook a significant initiative that included moving all its branches towards online retailing, a single-software platform, and it has completed the first phase of its initiative recently. Canara Bank has set up e-lounges in selected 172 branches equipped with high technology.
Canara Bank’s place strategy refers to how and where its products and services are available to customers. It is an integral part of its overall marketing strategy and operational approach. Here are five key points highlighting Canara Bank’s place strategy:
- Extensive Branch Network: Canara Bank has a widespread network of branches across various geographical locations in India, including urban, semi-urban, rural, and remote areas. This ensures accessibility and convenience for customers irrespective of their location.
- Overseas Presence: The bank has also established branches in foreign countries to cater to the banking needs of Non-Resident Indians (NRIs) and to facilitate international banking transactions for its domestic customers.
- ATM and Self-Service Kiosks: A vast network of ATMs and self-service kiosks enables customers to perform a variety of transactions, such as cash withdrawals, deposits, fund transfers, and bill payments, enhancing banking convenience outside of regular banking hours.
- Digital Banking Platforms: Canara Bank has invested in digital banking platforms, including internet banking, mobile banking apps, and digital wallets, allowing customers to access banking services anytime and anywhere, thus reducing the dependency on physical branches.
- Partnership with Other Entities: To widen its reach, Canara Bank has partnerships with various entities, including post offices, retail chains, and other financial institutions. This strategy allows the bank to offer its services in locations where it does not have a physical presence, thereby increasing its accessibility to customers.
Canara Bank Pricing Strategy
Canara Bank has a competitive pricing policy as it is determined to become customer-friendly and corporate banking only. It has kept its interest rate lowest for deposit accounts and provides unique benefits to senior citizens and farmers. The minimum average monthly balance is only INR 500 in rural areas, and in urban areas, it is INR 1000. Canara Bank also provides various services for its customers. Local cheques are cleared on the same day, and multi-city checkbooks payable at all branches within India are issued.
Instant credit is provided to its loyal customers with a satisfactory record, and service charges levied by a bank are minimal so as not to burden its customers. Canara Bank also provides lockers to its customers where they can keep valuables safely. These come in four sizes: giant, small, large, and medium, and their rental varies according to their size. Enrollment and annual fees on their credit cards are also relatively low compared to other banks. Canara Bank Turnaround also provides debit cards to its customers that can be used at any of their ATMs and ATMs associated with them.
Canara Bank’s pricing strategy is a critical component of its marketing mix, designed to offer competitive and attractive rates to its diverse clientele while ensuring its financial sustainability and growth. This strategy is finely tuned to balance customer value with profitability, reflecting the bank’s understanding of the competitive banking landscape and customer expectations. Here are crucial elements of marketing strategies that define Canara Bank’s pricing strategy.
- Competitive Interest Rates: Canara Bank monitors the market to offer competitive interest rates on deposits and loans. This approach attracts savers looking for a secure and profitable place to park their funds and appeals to borrowers seeking cost-effective financing solutions. By aligning its rates with market conditions, the bank remains an attractive choice for existing and potential customers.
- Tiered Pricing: The bank employs a tiered pricing strategy for several of its services and products, including but not limited to savings accounts, transaction fees, and loan interest rates. This means pricing is adjusted based on account balances, transaction volumes, or the borrower’s creditworthiness and relationship with the bank. This differentiated pricing approach allows Canara Bank to cater to a broad spectrum of customer needs, rewarding loyalty and higher engagement with better rates and lower fees.
- Value-Based Pricing: Canara Bank adopts a value-based pricing strategy for its premium services, such as wealth management, advisory services, and customized banking solutions. Pricing in these segments is based on the perceived value these services provide to high net-worth individuals and corporate clients rather than just the cost of service delivery. This strategy helps reinforce the bank’s brand as a high-quality, personalized financial service provider.
- Fee-based Services: Apart from interest income, the bank has a structured approach to fee-based income from non-fund-based services like processing fees for loans, charges for bank guarantees, letters of credit charges, and fees for various digital transactions. This diversifies the bank’s revenue streams and contributes to its financial health. The bank ensures these fees are competitively priced to balance revenue generation with customer satisfaction.
- Promotional Offers and Waivers: Canara Bank occasionally introduces promotional offers, including waiver of processing fees, reduced interest rates for specific categories of loans, or bonus interest rates on deposits during festive seasons. These promotions are strategically timed and targeted to stimulate growth in particular customer segments, enhance product uptake, and bolster customer loyalty.
Canara Bank Promotion Strategy
Canara Bank has adopted several promotional policies to impact customers’ mindsets positively. It provides a friendly atmosphere and good working conditions that bring out the best in its employees and customers. It sends SMS alerts for every transaction so the customer is always aware of what is happening in his account. Canara Bank has offered cash rebates to customers who shop with its cards.
Its debit card holders are offered various discounts at many places if transactions are made through them. For traveling purposes, it provides a Prepaid-Travel Card and issues Gift Cards at minimum fees. Former Indian cricketer Venkatesh Prasad has been a brand ambassador, and cricket Shikhar Dhawan has recently been roped in as its current ambassador.
Some Recent Video ads and Print ads for Canara Bank are:
Canara Bank People Strategy
The “People” component of the Service Marketing Mix is crucial, especially for a service-oriented sector like banking, where human interaction directly impacts customer experience. As one of India’s leading public sector banks, Canara Bank also places significant emphasis on this aspect of mobile marketing. Here’s how “People” play a pivotal role in Canara Bank’s service marketing mix:
- Staff Training and Development: Canara Bank invests in comprehensive training and development programs to ensure they are well-equipped with the latest banking knowledge, customer service skills, and compliance procedures. This continuous learning approach ensures that employees can handle customer queries, provide accurate information, and effectively offer solutions that meet customers’ financial needs.
- Customer-centric Culture: The bank fosters a customer-centric culture throughout the organization. This means prioritizing customer satisfaction and building long-term relationships over mere transactional interactions. Employees are encouraged to go the extra mile to understand and meet customer needs, enhancing customer loyalty and trust in the bank.
- Diverse Workforce: Reflecting the diverse customer base it serves, Canara Bank employs a diverse workforce in terms of gender, age, and cultural background. This diversity enables the bank to understand better and cater to its customers’ varied needs, providing more personalized and inclusive services.
- Employee Engagement: Recognizing that satisfied employees lead to satisfied customers, Canara Bank actively engages its workforce through recognition programs, feedback mechanisms, and opportunities for career advancement. A motivated and engaged workforce is likelier to deliver superior customer service, contributing positively to the bank’s reputation and satisfaction.
- Role of Frontline Employees: Frontline employees, such as tellers, customer service representatives, and relationship managers, are the face of Canara Bank. They play a critical role in service delivery, directly interacting with customers daily. The bank ensures that these employees are skilled in technical aspects and excel in soft skills like communication, empathy, and problem-solving, which are essential for delivering exceptional service.
- Leadership and Vision: The leadership at Canara Bank sets the tone for the importance of “People” in the organization. With a clear vision of customer service excellence, the leadership drives the bank’s strategic initiatives toward building a skilled, customer-focused, high-performing workforce.
Canara Bank Process Strategy
The “Process” element of the Service Marketing Mix refers to the actual procedures, mechanisms, and flow of activities by which services are consumed. This element ensures efficient, reliable, and customer-friendly service delivery for Canara Bank, a leading financial institution. Here’s how the “Process” aspect is managed and executed within Canara Bank:
- Streamlined Account Opening: Canara Bank has simplified the process of opening savings, current, or deposit accounts, making it faster and more user-friendly. Customers can initiate the process through the bank’s website or mobile app, requiring minimal paperwork and ensuring that new accounts can be activated quickly.
- Digital Banking Services: The bank has heavily invested in technology to offer a comprehensive suite of digital banking services, including online banking, mobile banking, and digital wallets. These platforms feature user-friendly interfaces and secure authentication processes, allowing customers to conduct various banking transactions remotely and conveniently.
- Loan Application and Disbursement: Canara Bank has streamlined its loan application and disbursement process, making it more transparent and less time-consuming. This includes online applications, quick processing through credit scoring models, minimal documentation for pre-approved offers, and faster disbursal of funds to eligible customers.
- Customer Service and Grievance Redressal: The bank has established a multi-channel customer service framework, including call centers, email support, and in-branch services. A structured grievance redressal process ensures that customer complaints and queries are addressed promptly and effectively, with clear timelines for resolution.
- Feedback and Continuous Improvement: Canara Bank has implemented mechanisms to collect customer feedback on its services and processes regularly. This feedback is analyzed and used as a basis for continuous improvement, with the bank periodically updating its processes to enhance service quality and customer satisfaction.
- Compliance and Security: The processes at Canara Bank are designed to emphasize robust compliance with regulatory requirements and security standards. This includes secure transaction processing, data protection measures, and regular audits to ensure the integrity and safety of customer information and financial transactions.
- Cross-selling and Service Integration: Canara Bank utilizes its processes for effective cross-selling and integration of services, providing customers with tailored financial solutions. The bank identifies customer needs through its CRM system based on transaction history and interactions, enabling personalized service offerings.
Canara Bank Physical Evidence Strategy
The “Physical Evidence” component of the Service Marketing Mix is essential in the banking sector, mainly because it encompasses all the tangible and intangible aspects that support and encapsulate the service experience. For Canara Bank, physical evidence is crucial in shaping perceptions, building trust, and reassuring customers. Here’s how Canara Bank leverages physical evidence in its service marketing management and delivery:
- Branch Design and Layout: Canara Bank’s branches are designed to be welcoming and comfortable, offering a secure and professional environment for customers to conduct their banking transactions. The layout is planned to ensure privacy in customer interactions, with dedicated areas for different services, from general banking to private consultation for loans and investment advice. This physical setup reflects the bank’s commitment to customer service and confidentiality.
- Branding and Signage: The bank’s branding elements, including its logo, color scheme, and signage, are consistently displayed across all physical and digital platforms. This visual consistency helps reinforce brand recognition. It assures customers of the bank’s authenticity, whether entering a branch, using an ATM, or logging into the digital banking platform.
- ATM Networks: Canara Bank’s ATMs serve as a vital physical touchpoint for the bank, offering 24/7 banking services to customers. These ATMs are strategically located in various locations, including branches, shopping centers, and other accessible areas, ensuring convenience for customers. The ATMs have security features and clear instructions, providing a safe and user-friendly banking experience.
- Official Documentation: Physical evidence also includes official documentation and communications from the bank, such as account statements, loan agreements, and policy documents. These documents are professionally designed, easy to understand, and securely delivered, providing customers with tangible proof of their transactions and agreements with the bank.
- Digital Platforms: While primarily intangible, the bank’s digital platforms, including its website and mobile banking app, serve as virtual physical evidence. These platforms’ design, usability, and security features reflect the bank’s commitment to providing a seamless and secure digital banking experience. The consistency in branding and the ease of navigation on these platforms reinforce trust and confidence in the bank’s services.
- Customer Service and Employee Appearance: The appearance and behavior of Canara Bank’s employees also constitute physical evidence. Staff members are professionally dressed and trained to interact with customers courteously and knowledgeably, reinforcing the bank’s reputation for professionalism and high-quality service.
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Marketing Mix