WhatsApp Messenger is a freeware and cross-platform instant messaging and Voice over IP (VoIP) service. The application allows the sending of text messages and voice calls, as well as video calls, images and other media, documents, and user location. Here is the SWOT Analysis of WhatsApp.
Table of Contents
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of WhatsApp :
1) Huge customer base – Social media business is all about a number of users on the platform and WhatsApp has already acquired a huge user base of more than 700 million users.
2) Use of superior technology – Technology is one of the biggest strengths of WhatsApp as such platforms are completely dependent on the kind of technology they use. No major outages in the recent past, best connectivity are some of the traits on which WhatsApp is playing.
3) Free for users – The application is completely free for its users with no fees at all attracting a big number of users on a regular basis.
4) Top of the mind messaging app brand – WhatsApp is the top brand in the instant messaging app. It has been the most preferred app for users of Internet-based calling and messaging.
6) No major bugs in the application – There have not been any reports of technological failures or bugs. A problem-free application for daily use is what users want and they are getting it.
7) The ad-free application gives more customer satisfaction – Being ad free increases the customer satisfaction and this has been a great strength for the company.
8) Early mover advantage – WhatsApp has been one of the earliest entrants in the instant messaging business which gives it an early mover advantage.
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of WhatsApp :
1) Data privacy is still a concern for the users – Data privacy is being seen as a continuous issue for the users. The company has still been unable to provide a full proof solution for this.
2) Can’t work without internet – Since the internet is the prerequisite for the app to function, a large number of the population where internet is not available is still unable to be targeted.
3) No group calls – Group calls are not yet an option in the application.
Opportunities for the SWOT analysis of WhatsApp :
1) Increasing internet penetration in developing economies – Ever increasing internet penetration even in the developing countries is a big opportunity for WhatsApp to even tap a number of users.
2) Continuous development in technological department – Technology is getting innovated day on day with new requirements of customers and a company like WhatsApp has that opportunity right in front of them to develop and sell those products which this new generation of customers aspire for.
3) The Huge customer database can open new revenue streams – The kind of customer data WhatsApp has can be a huge opportunity for them to explore new revenue streams using this data.
4) Penetration of Smartphones – The major benefit to Whatsapp is the penetration and adoption of smartphones across the globe. This penetration has naturally helped the worlds leading app for instant communication.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of WhatsApp :
1) Continuous innovations in competitive market – Internet is a wonderful thing, new innovative ideas are getting generated on a daily basis. You never know which idea in which part of the world is going to kill WhatsApp.
2) Changes in regulations for any negative effects of WhatsApp communication – Every new technology has its own loopholes and you never know when someone decides to use a technology maliciously. This is always a threat till the time everything becomes full proof.
3) Low entry barriers for new entrants – Anybody can come and build a wonderful product like WhatsApp as this is not an investment-heavy service. The barriers are negligible which makes it pretty easy for other entrants to play the game.
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on SWOT