The Marketing mix of Qatar Airways analyses the 7Ps of Qatar Airways, which includes the Product, Price, Place, Promotion, People, Physical Evidence, and Process of Qatar Airways. Qatar Airways is associated with the aviation industry. It is a subsidiary and flag carrier of its owner, the Government of Qatar. Qatar Airways was founded in 1993 on 22nd November but was able to commence operations from 1994 to 20th January. It is one of the fastest-growing airlines and has earned a five-star rating because of its services. Qatar Airways faces competition from the following companies.
About Qatar Airways
- Type: Airline
- Industry: Aviation
- Founded: 1993
- Founder: Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani
- Headquarters: Doha, Qatar
- Area served: Over 160 destinations worldwide
- Current CEO: Akbar Al Baker
- Number of employees: 43,000
- Major products: Passenger and cargo transportation
Table of Contents
Qatar Airways Product Strategy
Qatar Airways is one of the most popular commercial airlines. It offers both passenger and cargo services. Its freight branch, Qatar Airways Cargo, is ranked third in the world as the largest cargo carrier. Qatar Airways provides its services with the help of a fleet that includes one hundred and ninety-two aircraft.
Qatar Airways’ product mix is diverse and geared towards providing high-quality services in the aviation industry.
The new Product Mix of Qatar Airways in 2024 is as follows (Source).
- Passenger and Cargo Services: Qatar Airways offers both passenger flights and cargo services. Its freight branch, Qatar Airways Cargo, is among the world’s largest cargo carriers.
- Variety of Flight Classes: The airline features several classes of service to accommodate different passenger needs and preferences. This includes First Class with luxurious amenities like flat beds and massage functions, Business Class with horizontal beds and beverage options like champagne and wine, and Economy Class with comfortable seating and individual TV screens.
- In-Flight Entertainment: Qatar Airways places a strong emphasis on in-flight entertainment. Most of its aircraft are equipped with personal television screens. The airline’s Oryx One entertainment system offers a wide range of options, including Wi-Fi access, enabling passengers to stay connected during flights.
- Premium Facilities for High-End Passengers: The airline operates the Premium Terminal at Doha International Airport exclusively for business and first-class passengers. This terminal features amenities such as duty-free shopping, conference rooms, spa treatment rooms, and a restaurant.
- Expansive Network: Qatar Airways serves various destinations across various continents, including Oceania, South America, North America, the Middle East, South Asia, Europe, Central Asia, and Africa. The airline operates from its central hub at Hamad International Airport in Doha and is part of the Oneworld Alliance, extending its reach further through code-share agreements.
Qatar Airways Pricing Strategy
- Premium Pricing: Qatar Airways is known for its luxury services and five-star rating, which justifies its premium pricing model. The airline targets middle and upper-middle-class and corporate clients, offering high-end services at higher prices.
- Dynamic Pricing: Reflecting the nature of the aviation industry, Qatar Airways employs dynamic pricing. Prices vary based on several factors, such as demand, seasonality, route popularity, and booking timing, ensuring a competitive advantage in fare options for different customer segments.
- Competitive and Going-Rate Pricing: Qatar Airways often adopts a competitive pricing strategy in markets with stiff competition. It sets ticket prices marginally close to competitors, balancing competitiveness with brand prestige.
- Economy Class Pricing: While maintaining its premium image, the airline also offers more affordable options in its Economy Class. These tickets are priced lower yet provide comfort and quality, aligning with the brand’s reputation.
- Loyalty Program Benefits: Qatar Airways also leverages its Privilege Club loyalty program, offering rewards and benefits that enhance customer retention and encourage repeat business. This strategy involves offering value-added services and discounts to frequent flyers.
- Strategic Promotions and Offers: Regularly, Qatar Airways introduces promotional fares and special offers, particularly during off-peak travel periods or for new routes, to attract a broader customer base.
Overall, Qatar Airways’ pricing and marketing strategy blend premium positioning with strategic competitive pricing, catering to a diverse customer base while maintaining its high service standards and luxury brand image.
Qatar Airways Place Strategy
Qatar Airways caters to an international audience and has spread its network to include several global routes. It has its headquarters in Doha at Qatar Airways Tower and, since 2013, has been a part of Oneworld Alliance. Qatar Airways functions via a hub-and-spoke network and has linked one hundred and fifty destinations in the global arena across places like Oceania, South America, North America, the Middle East, South Asia, Far East, Europe, Central Asia, and Africa with its base hub at Hamad International Airport.
Qatar Airways’ place strategy is focused on ensuring global reach and accessibility:
- Extensive Global Network: Qatar Airways serves over 160 destinations worldwide, connecting major cities across continents like Oceania, South America, North America, the Middle East, South Asia, Europe, Central Asia, and Africa.
- Strategic Hub at Hamad International Airport: The airline’s central hub is at Hamad International Airport in Doha, Qatar. This strategic location serves as a central point for its extensive international network.
- Member of the Oneworld Alliance: As a part of the Oneworld Alliance since 2013, Qatar Airways has expanded its global reach through code-sharing and partnerships with other member airlines.
- Online and Digital Ticketing Platforms: Qatar Airways utilizes its website and mobile apps for ticket bookings and customer service, catering to the digital preferences of modern travelers.
- Physical and Online Presence through Subsidiaries and Partnerships: The airline operates through various divisions like Qatar Executive, Qatar Distribution Company, Qatar Aviation Services, and more. It also has tie-ups with car rentals and hotels, offering a comprehensive travel experience.
Qatar Airways Promotion Strategy
Qatar Airways recognizes the impact of good advertising on an organization. It has adopted several promotional policies to create positive brand awareness. It has launched ad campaigns via television, corporate videos, and its website. Qatar Airways has a Privilege Club loyalty program, a tie-up with several international car rentals and hotels, and a reciprocal agreement with Gol Transport Aereos and Middle East airlines. It rewards its loyal customers with several benefits.
Qatar Airways has entered several sponsorship deals to increase its visibility in the aviation sector and the consumer market. Since 2005, it has been sponsored by Sky News weather forecasts. It became the primary shirt sponsor of FC Barcelona in the years 2013 and July, and in October 2016, it became associated with Sydney Swans as the Official International Airline Sponsor. During the Skytrax Awards ceremony in 2009 and 2010, Economy Class of Qatar Airways was awarded Best in the world.
Some Recent Video ads and Print ads for Qatar Airways are:
Qatar Airways People Strategy
The “People” component of the Service Marketing Mix for Qatar Airways is a critical aspect that focuses on customer service and the overall customer experience, which the employees of the company influence. Here are some key points regarding the “People” of Qatar Airways:
- Highly Trained Staff: Qatar Airways invests significantly in training and developing its staff to ensure they provide exceptional service. This includes cabin crew, ground staff, and customer service representatives.
- Multilingual and Diverse Workforce: Reflecting its global operations, Qatar Airways employs a diverse and multilingual workforce. This diversity enables the airline to cater to its international customer base’s cultural and linguistic needs.
- Cabin Crew Excellence: The airline’s cabin crew is renowned for its hospitality and service excellence. They play a pivotal role in enhancing passenger experience through their attention to detail and personalized service.
- Customer Service Representatives: Qatar Airways’ customer service representatives are trained to handle inquiries, complaints, and bookings with efficiency and courtesy, ensuring a positive experience for customers at every touchpoint.
- Employee Recognition Programs: The airline has recognition programs to reward employees for outstanding service, encouraging a culture of excellence and motivation among staff.
- Customer Feedback and Continuous Improvement: Qatar Airways actively seeks and incorporates customer feedback to improve service quality. This feedback is used for continuous training and development of their people to meet and exceed customer expectations.
- Dedication to Safety and Security: Employees are trained to adhere to the highest standards of safety and security, ensuring the well-being of passengers throughout their journey.
- Innovative Employee Engagement: The airline engages its employees through innovative practices and technologies to keep them motivated and informed, fostering a positive and productive work environment.
- Global Recruitment and Development: Qatar Airways engages in global recruitment drives to attract talented individuals worldwide, followed by comprehensive development programs to prepare them for their roles.
- Leadership and Management: Strong leadership and management practices are in place to guide and support employees, ensuring they are aligned with the company’s goals and committed to delivering the highest level of service.
Qatar Airways Process Strategy
The “Process” component of the Service Marketing Mix of Qatar Airways refers to the procedures, mechanisms, and flow of activities by which services are consumed. This aspect is crucial in ensuring customer satisfaction and efficiency in service delivery. Here are some key points regarding the “Process” of Qatar Airways:
- Online Booking System: Qatar Airways offers a user-friendly online booking system that allows customers to easily search for flights, compare prices, and book tickets. The system also supports seat selection, meal preferences, and special requests.
- Check-in Procedures: The airline provides various check-in options, including online check-in, mobile check-in, and airport kiosks, to streamline the process and reduce waiting times at the airport.
- Baggage Handling: Qatar Airways employs a streamlined baggage handling process, from check-in to arrival, including tracking and notifications for peace of mind. The airline also offers clear guidelines and assistance for special baggage items.
- Boarding Process: The boarding process is organized and prioritized to ensure a smooth experience for passengers, including priority boarding for families, first and business-class passengers, and members of its frequent flyer program.
- In-flight Service Procedure: Qatar Airways has a standardized yet personalized procedure that ensures high-quality service delivery, including meal service, entertainment options, and comfort amenities.
- Safety and Security Measures: The airline adheres to stringent safety and security measures throughout the passenger journey, from check-in to arrival, including comprehensive pre-flight safety briefings and security checks.
- Customer Service and Support: Qatar Airways has established efficient processes for customer service and support, including a 24/7 hotline, email support, and social media channels for queries, feedback, and assistance.
- Frequent Flyer Program (Privilege Club): The process for enrolling and accumulating points in Qatar Airways’ frequent flyer program is straightforward, offering various benefits and rewards that enhance the customer experience.
- Feedback and Complaint Resolution: The airline has a structured process for collecting customer feedback and resolving complaints, ensuring that customer concerns are addressed promptly and effectively.
- Operational Efficiency: Behind the scenes, Qatar Airways focuses on operational efficiency, including flight scheduling, crew assignment, and maintenance operations, to ensure timely and reliable service.
- Sustainability Initiatives: Qatar Airways is incorporating processes to reduce its environmental impact, including fuel-efficient flights, waste reduction measures, and sustainable in-flight products.
Qatar Airways Physical Evidence Strategy
The “Physical Evidence” component of the Service Marketing Mix for Qatar Airways encompasses all the tangible and visible elements that support and communicate the airline’s brand quality, service, and values. This component is crucial in the airline industry, where customer perceptions are heavily influenced by their physical and sensory experiences. Here are some key points regarding the “Physical Evidence” of Qatar Airways:
- Aircraft Fleet: The modern and well-maintained fleet of Qatar Airlines, including the latest and advanced aircraft like the Airbus A350 and Boeing 787 Dreamliner, is solid evidence of its commitment to comfort, safety, and technology.
- Cabin Interior and Design: The airline’s cabin interiors, from Economy to the luxurious Qsuite in Business Class, showcase attention to comfort, privacy, and design, reflecting the airline’s brand promise of a superior travel experience.
- Uniforms of Cabin Crew: The elegant and distinctive uniforms of Qatar Airways cabin crew symbolize the airline’s professionalism, service quality, and cultural heritage.
- Airport Lounges: Qatar Airways’ exclusive lounges, particularly the Al Mourjan Business Lounge at Hamad International Airport, offer luxurious spaces that reflect the airline’s commitment to excellence and comfort, providing a superior pre-flight experience.
- In-flight Amenities: Branded amenities such as amenity kits, bedding, and dining ware in premium cabins reinforce the airline’s focus on quality and luxury.
- Ticketing and Boarding Passes: The design and ease of use of Qatar Airways’ ticketing and boarding passes contribute to a seamless and positive first impression of the airline’s service processes.
- In-flight Entertainment System: The Oryx One in-flight entertainment system, with its wide range of movies, music, and games visible through personal screens, represents the airline’s dedication to passenger enjoyment and technology use.
- Brand Imagery and Advertising: The consistent use of Qatar Airways’ logo, color scheme, and imagery across its advertising, website, and branded materials creates a strong visual identity that passengers recognize and associate with quality.
- Catering and Meals Presentation: The quality, presentation, and variety of meals served on board, along with the dining experience in premium cabins, serve as tangible proof of the airline’s commitment to high service standards.
- Airport Presence: The branding and customer service desks at airports, especially at its hub in Hamad International Airport, Doha, offer a physical manifestation of the airline’s presence and service ethos.
- Safety and Cleanliness Measures: Visible cleanliness, hygiene practices on board, and implementing health and safety measures, especially in response to health concerns, reinforce passenger trust and confidence.
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Marketing Mix