The Marketing mix of Tropicana analyses the 4Ps of Tropicana, including the Product, Price, Place, and Promotions. Tropicana Products, Inc. was founded by Anthony T. Rossi in 1947 in Bradenton, Florida, but was acquired by PepsiCo in 1998. It is an American-based multinational company with its headquarters in Chicago, Illinois. Though it produces so many juice brands today, it’s specialized, and the signature product is Orange juice. The Tropicana marketing mix is designed to encompass product, price, place, and promotion, ensuring widespread brand recognition.
- Type: Beverage company
- Industry: Food and beverage
- Founded: 1947
- Founder: Anthony T. Rossi
- Headquarters: Bradenton, Florida, United States
- Area served: Worldwide
- Key people: Eduardo Pellerano (Chairman) and Simon Lowden (CEO)
- Number of employees: 10,000
Table of Contents
Tropicana Product Strategy
Tropicana produces and sells different fruit juices. It has almost all the familiar juice flavors, which include mango, orange, grapefruit, blackberry, lemon, grape, apple, cherry, banana, watermelon, raspberry, tangerine, pineapple, peach, strawberry, and cranberry, among others.
As of now, Tropicana has more than 70 different juice kinds. Interestingly, the company also produces smoothies. In a nutshell, it is almost confident that Tropicana will satisfy your juice needs regarding taste, brand, and nutrition. One fruit juice among the few common juices on its shelf is pomegranate.
Tropicana employs a robust marketing mix, strategically focusing on key elements like product quality and innovative television commercials to reach its target market effectively. The brand’s marketing strategy encompasses a well-crafted distribution strategy, leveraging social media platforms to enhance visibility and engage consumers. Tropicana aims to optimize the marketing mix, ensuring a harmonious blend that resonates with its audience.
- Pure Premium Juices: This is perhaps the most recognized Tropicana product line. It includes 100% pure and natural orange juice and grapefruit juice, available in several varieties like no pulp, some pulp, lots of pulp, and calcium + vitamin D fortified.
- Trop50: A line of juice beverages containing 50% less sugar and calories than regular fruit juices. Trop50 juices are typically sweetened with stevia, a natural sweetener, and come in various fruit flavors.
- Farmstand: Tropicana’s Farmstand line offers fruit and vegetable juice blends. These are marketed as a convenient way to consume a serving of fruits and vegetables, available in flavors like Peach Mango, Pomegranate Blueberry, and Tropical Green.
- Essentials: This line includes juices fortified with additional vitamins and minerals, catering to specific health needs. Examples are Tropicana Essentials Probiotics and Tropicana Essentials Fiber.
- Tropicana Kids: Juices aimed at children, often featuring organic ingredients and less sugar. These come in kid-friendly packaging and flavors.
- Seasonal Products: Limited edition flavors or juice blends available during certain times of the year. These might include unique holiday-themed flavors or summer blends.
- International Varieties: Tropicana may offer unique flavors and products tailored to different countries’ local tastes and dietary preferences.
Tropicana Place Strategy
Tropicana targets all market segments with its fresh, tasty, and healthy juices. There is not a single person today who doesn’t want to be healthy or doesn’t want their loved ones to be healthy. Unfortunately, unlike the case with other healthy brands, Tropicana offers users brands that are cheaper and affordable. Anyone from the middle-income base can, therefore, afford to buy it.
Its commercials that encourage people to have Tropicana every morning clearly show that everyone and anyone can take the juice. And though it has its headquarters in Chicago, the company has spread throughout the six continents, with an impressive market share and customer base.
Here’s the place strategy of Tropicana.
- Wide Retail Distribution: Tropicana products are available in various retail outlets, including supermarkets, grocery stores, and convenience stores. This extensive distribution ensures that Tropicana juices are easily accessible to a broad consumer base.
- Online Sales Channels: Recognizing the growing trend of online shopping, Tropicana has made its products available through various e-commerce platforms. This approach allows customers to purchase their favorite juices with the convenience of home delivery.
- Global Presence: Tropicana has a significant international market presence, offering its products in numerous countries worldwide. This global strategy caters to regional tastes and preferences, expanding consumer reach.
- Strategic Placement in Stores: Within retail environments, Tropicana products are often strategically placed in high-visibility areas, such as near the entrance or in the refrigerated sections, to attract consumer attention and encourage impulse buys.
- Collaborations with Food Services and Hospitality: Tropicana also partners with various food service providers, hotels, and airlines to offer their juices, enhancing brand visibility and reaching consumers beyond the traditional retail settings.
Tropicana Pricing Strategy
The pricing strategy employed by Tropicana on its products is the low pricing strategy. One of their main promotion strategies is based upon this low pricing strategy. The strategy encompasses low price levels that are above-the-line activity.
This price strategy was mainly adopted in 2004 and was based on the fact that highly penetrated areas such as Scotland and London were registering low purchase frequency. In contrast, un-entered regions would not have embraced the product if it had a higher budget than what the people already had. As a result of this pricing strategy, the company has been registering better revenues thanks to the fact that more people are buying at a higher frequency than before.
Tropicana employs a sophisticated pricing strategy that reflects its market position as a premium juice brand and its commitment to offering high-quality, nutritious products. This strategy includes the following key aspects:
- Premium Pricing: Tropicana positions itself in the premium segment of the juice market. The brand commands a higher price point than many competitors, reflecting its quality, brand reputation, and product perceived value. This premium pricing strategy aligns with the brand’s image of offering superior, healthy, and natural juice products.
- Competitive Price Matching: While maintaining a premium stance, Tropicana also stays competitive by closely monitoring market prices. This ensures that their products remain attractively priced compared to other premium juice brands, balancing quality with cost competitiveness.
- Price Skimming for New Products: Tropicana often adopts a price skimming strategy for new product launches. This involves setting higher initial prices for innovative or unique products and capitalizing on early market entrants willing to pay more. Prices gradually lower over time as the product becomes more established.
- Promotional Pricing: Tropicana uses promotional pricing strategies, such as temporary price reductions, coupons, and bundle offers, to boost sales volume, especially in highly competitive markets or during new product introductions. This approach helps to attract cost-conscious consumers and encourages trial of Tropicana products.
- Segmented Pricing Strategy: Recognizing the diversity in consumer segments, Tropicana employs a segmented pricing strategy. This involves offering different product lines (such as Trop50, Essentials, and Pure Premium) at various price points to cater to different consumer groups, from those seeking premium health-focused options to those looking for more affordable choices.
Tropicana Promotion Strategy
Tropicana is a very successful brand, as it has managed to penetrate and maintain a formidable market share. Tropicana’s marketing strategy focuses on delivering pure, nutritious juices and leveraging health trends to reach its target audience. Its success is greatly attributed to its market strategy. Few companies have invested in TV commercials the way Tropicana has. In fact, during its primary years, Tropicana dominated TV commercials in all the markets it has already managed to penetrate.
And its commercials themselves were impressive. No wonder customers were flocking to their shelves quickly to get a taste of the products. For instance, “Have a Tropicana Morning,” a more recent TV commercial, has made many starts using the product every morning.
The company has not given the print media as much as many companies have. Tropicana is advertising its products through newspapers, magazines, and other print and electronic media. Tropicana also sponsors concerts, games, and sporting events. Through an innovative Tropicana marketing strategy, the brand maintains its position as a leader in the juice industry. Tropicana’s marketing highlights their juices’ freshness and natural quality, appealing to health-conscious consumers.
Tropicana’s St. Petersburg Florida Field Stadium, which has a 45360-seat capacity and hosts baseball, has done the company a lot of good regarding marketing. But its message about natural, fresh, health-oriented, and 100% juice taste emphasis boosts the confidence of this health-conscious population more.
Some Recent Video ads and Print ads for Tropicana are:
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Marketing Mix