The Marketing mix of Tresemme analyses the 4Ps of Tresemme, including the Product, Price, Place, and Promotions. Tresemme was first manufactured in 1947 by Godefroy Manufacturing Company in Missouri, USA, and was named after Edna Emm’e, the renowned hair care expert. The brand was later bought by Alberto in 1968 and subsequently by Unilever in 2010, after which more products were added.
The Marketing Mix of Tresemme is designed to cater to the diverse needs of its global customer base, offering a range of hair care products that combine quality with innovation. The main reason it has been able to impress is because of the marriage between its professionalism and affordability, two essential business needs of today’s economy.
It is worth noting that even the best products in the world will never be known if they aren’t correctly marketed. Therefore, the producing company has invested in an elaborate marketing mix that has born fruits and quality. Though it has been on the market for long, its insurgency can be attributed to its serious use of the 4P’s in the near past.
- Type: Consumer goods company
- Industry: Personal care
- Founded: 1948
- Founder: Edna L. Emme
- Headquarters: United States
- Area served: Worldwide
- Key people: Fabrizio Freda (Chairman) and David Taylor (CEO)
- Number of employees: 10,000
Table of Contents
Tresemme Product Strategy
Tresemme, the hair care brand, concentrates on solving hair fall issues, thus giving the user salon-styled hair. The products are free from harmful chemicals, thus making them loved more by the population that has, of late, been becoming more and more sensitized to health and wellness. Coming in four main sachet and bottle sizes, namely 8ml, 100ml, 200ml, and 600ml, Tresemme is used in washing hair to reduce the hair falling menace. Each Tresemme hair product results from extensive research and development, ensuring that whether you’re dealing with dryness, damage, or dullness, there’s a solution that works. Addressing concerns like hair fall, Tresemme has developed targeted solutions that strengthen and nourish, reducing breakage and promoting healthy hair growth. Tresemme’s Keratin Smooth collection is at the forefront of its product line, promising to tame frizz and bring silkiness to hair with every wash.
- Shampoos: TRESemmé offers a range of shampoos designed for different hair types and concerns. This includes volumizing, smoothing, moisturizing, color protection, and scalp care options. They also offer specialized formulas like keratin-infused or sulfate-free shampoos.
- Conditioners: Complementing their shampoos, TRESemmé’s conditioners are formulated to address specific hair needs such as hydration, damage repair, frizz control, and enhancing shine. They have conditioners for daily use as well as deep conditioning treatments.
- Hair Styling Products: This category includes hair moussees, gels, hair sprays, serums, and heat protection sprays. These products cater to different styling needs, from holding hairstyles in place to protecting hair from heat damage during styling.
- Hair Treatment and Repair Products: TRESemmé offers intensive treatment products such as hair masks, leave-in treatments, and serums designed to repair and rejuvenate damaged hair, reduce breakage, and promote hair health.
- Professional Series: Some regions feature a professional series by TRESemmé aimed at providing salon-grade products. These might include more advanced formulations or products targeting specific hair care concerns.
- Limited Edition and Seasonal Products: Occasionally, TRESemmé introduces limited edition or seasonal products, which might include unique scents or formulations tailored for particular times of the year or specific consumer trends.
- Travel Size and Convenience Packs: TRESemmé also offers travel-sized versions of their popular products and convenience packs, which might include combinations of shampoos, conditioners, and styling products, often popular among consumers for trial or travel purposes.
Tresemme Place Strategy
Starting from where the price mix left, the products mainly target the rich, with the poor having little chance of landing on such an effective product. Locally in India, Mom-and-Pop stores and large retail stores such as Reliance, Big Bazaar, and DMart stock the product. Tresemme also has elaborate marketing strategies and distribution channels that include wholesalers and sales agents who haven’t been employed to reach customers at the grassroots but to promote the idea of the product all over.
If only the company were price-sensitive to factor in the economic needs of other countries and the majority of middle-class and low-end potential customers, you never know. Tresemme could probably be the leading hair care company beyond India today.
Here’s the place strategy of TRESemmé.
- Wide Retail Distribution: TRESemmé products are widely available in various retail outlets, including supermarkets, drugstores, and beauty supply stores, ensuring that consumers can easily find and purchase their products in convenient locations.
- Online Presence: Embracing the digital era, TRESemmé has a robust online presence, selling through e-commerce platforms and online retailers. This strategy broadens their reach and caters to the growing number of consumers who prefer shopping online.
- Salon Partnerships: TRESemmé collaborates with hair salons and stylists, placing their products in professional settings. This serves as an endorsement from hair care professionals and allows consumers to experience their products during salon visits.
- Global Market Accessibility: The brand has a significant global presence, catering to various international markets. This includes adapting their product offerings to suit different hair types and preferences across diverse regions.
- Promotional Events and Collaborations: TRESemmé actively participates in and sponsors fashion and beauty events, such as fashion weeks, leveraging these platforms to showcase their products and reinforce their brand presence in the beauty and styling industry.
Tresemme Pricing Strategy
On average, the 8ml sachet costs about Rs. 3, the 100ml about Rs. 68, the 200ml about Rs. 135, and the 600ml costs an average of Rs. 295. The pricing will, however, differ from place to place, with those customers across the Indian border buying it at a higher price depending on the taxation and tax rates used in their countries. The company’s tradition is to discount retailers, attracting even more traders. The price isn’t that sensitive as it only caters to high-end users.
TRESemmé’s pricing strategy exemplifies a keen understanding of its position in the competitive hair care market, balancing quality and affordability in the marketing mix to attract a broad consumer base. Here’s an expert analysis of their approach:
- Competitive Pricing Strategy: TRESemmé positions its products at a competitive price with other mass-market hair care brands. This strategy is crucial in maintaining its appeal among cost-conscious consumers who seek quality hair care solutions without the premium price tag of salon brands.
- Premium Yet Accessible: While maintaining affordability, TRESemmé slightly edges its pricing above budget brands to position itself as a premium option. This strategy appeals to consumers aspiring for higher-end products but at a more accessible price, enhancing its value perception.
- Price Differentiation Based on Product Line: TRESemmé employs a tiered pricing structure within its product range. Their more advanced or specialized products, like salon-grade formulas or treatments, are priced higher than their essential shampoos and conditioners, catering to a diverse customer base with varying willingness to pay.
- Promotional Pricing and Discounts: TRESemmé often uses promotional pricing strategies, such as discounts, bundles, and special offers, to attract new customers and retain existing ones. This approach is efficient in competitive retail environments and during critical sales.
- Geographic Pricing Considerations: Recognizing the diverse economic conditions across global markets, TRESemmé adapts its pricing strategies regionally. This flexibility ensures price optimization in different markets, considering local purchasing power, competition, and consumer behavior.
- Dynamic Pricing in E-commerce: TRESemmé leverages dynamic pricing strategies in online marketplaces. Prices may fluctuate based on demand, competition, and consumer trends, ensuring the brand remains competitive and relevant in the fast-paced digital shopping landscape.
Through this multifaceted pricing approach, TRESemmé successfully positions itself as a brand that offers professional, salon-quality hair products at affordable prices for a wide range of consumers, thereby maintaining its competitive edge in the global hair care market.
Tresemme Promotion Strategy
The company has a very elaborate promotion and marketing plan that involves using agents to promote the products all over India and beyond. In addition, as mentioned earlier, the company gives retailers impressive discounts that have made them like stocking the Tresemme products. Promotions are regularly and frequently done on TV, PoP displays & persuasions, print media, and PR activities, e.g., sponsored events & hair styling fests, as well as sampling promotions. Tresemmé’s marketing strategy focuses on empowering users with professional-quality hair care products accessible at home, positioning itself as a salon-grade brand at supermarket prices.
Tresemme promotions and significant discounts are done throughout the year, but a Neck-to-Neck strategy is employed during special occasions such as the New Year and Valentine’s Day. The primary marketing strategy is that Tresemme products have positioned themselves as quality products that guarantee their users a saloon-styled appearance; hence, anyone who has used them before will always want to use them again if they can afford them. The Tresemmé marketing strategy leverages influencer partnerships and digital campaigns to highlight the effectiveness of its products, from the Keratin Smooth range to solutions for hair fall.
Some Recent Video ads and Print ads for Tresemme are:
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Marketing Mix