The Marketing mix of Garnier analyses the 4Ps of Garnier, which includes the Product, Price, Place, and Promotion of Garnier. Garnier is a deep-rooted brand name related to the cosmetics industry. The brand serves a mass market by supplying personal care products. Founded in 1904, the company was known as “Laboratories Garnier.”
Later, in 1970, it was acquired by its parent company, “L’Oreal”; however, the brand entered the Indian market in 1992. Presently, Garnier is a global brand with goods sold in countries all over the world. Some of the brands in niche markets that provide stiff competition to this company are as follows –
- Type: Cosmetics brand
- Industry: Personal care
- Founded: 1904
- Founder: Alfred Amour Garnier
- Headquarters: Clichy, Hauts-de-Seine, France
- Area served: Worldwide
- Key people: Adrien Koskas (CEO) and Thibault de Monge (President)
- Number of employees: 8,000
Table of Contents
Garnier Product Strategy
Garnier is an international brand with definite product lines for various purposes. The products belong to the skincare under Nutritionist and hair care regime under the Fructis line targeted for different types of skin and hair. Garnier has many products, along with their variants, under its product portfolio. The brand entered the Indian cosmetics market only with a shampoo range called Garnier Ultra Doux Range.
Garnier range of products for women section includes the following –
- Skincare items- The products are White Complete Eye Roll-On, Garnier White Complete Face Wash, Daily Care, Pure Active, Gentle and Pure. These are for different skin needs like perfection, cleansing, protection, removal of pimples, moisturizer, fairness, anti-imperfection, and anti-aging.
- Hair care items- Fructis Long & Strong Shampoo, Fructis Good Bye Damage Shampoo, Fructis Normal Shampoo, and Fructis Shampoo Fall Fight.
- Hair colors– The products are available in black naturals and color naturals like red, brown, and burgundy with Color Naturals Hair Color Shades 1 to 8
In keeping with the times, the Garnier brand has launched a range of products for men. The products under this range include the PowerLight product range with ingredients like anti-pigmentation. This provides natural energy and brightens and enriches the male skin. The three items under this range are as follows-
- Garnier PowerLight Oil Control – It is a moisturizer used for fairness purposes.
- Garnier PowerLight Intensive – This moisturizer contains an ingredient SPF 15 for the specific purpose of fairness.
- Garnier PowerLight Intensive Face Wash- This product is for the face and has ingredients that cause fairness to the face.
Garnier has developed Garnier Fructis Kids Hair Sporty Strawberry Shampoo for the kids section.
- Skincare: Cleansers: Micellar Water, Cleansing Milk, Gel Cleansers, Moisturizers: Day Creams, Night Creams, Moisture Bombs, Serums: Hyaluronic Acid Serums, Vitamin C Serums, Face Masks: Sheet Masks, Clay Masks, Sunscreen: UV Protection Products
- Haircare: Shampoos: Fructis, Whole Blends, and other variants; Conditioners: Matching conditioners for shampoos; Hair Treatments: Hair masks, leave-in conditioners, Hair Styling: Hair gels, mousses, hair sprays, Hair Color: Nutrisse and Olia hair dyes
- Hair Color: Garnier Nutrisse and Olia: Various shades of permanent hair color
- Haircare for Specific Needs: Hair care products for damaged, curly, or color-treated hair, Hair oils and serums for shine and repair
- Body Care: Body lotions: Various moisturizing options, Body wash: Shower gels and cleansing products, Deodorants: Roll-ons and sprays
- Hair Removal: Hair removal creams
- Men’s Care: Skincare and grooming products designed for men
- Hair Accessories: Hairbrushes, combs, and hair ties
Garnier Place Strategy
Garnier is a natural beauty brand that has spread to various parts of the world, as its products are available in numerous countries. Garnier luxury brand has a broad Asian market, especially in countries like India, Japan, and China. The demand for natural cosmetics has led to the strong presence of Garnier in emerging markets.
Garnier has a distinct distribution strategy, and policy has helped distribute products quickly and conveniently. The brand has gone for the usual system consisting of manufacturers and from them to the wholesalers. They provide to the retailers, who supply to various outlets where consumers can easily purchase the products.
The products are available in almost all the retail outlets and at various shopping sites on the various websites. The company also has a capable R & D. Garnier, a valuable brand that, with its creative innovations, has successfully held together its efficient distribution and digital marketing channels. It has retained all its intermediaries, as it is easier to negotiate with existing distributors than the newer ones.
In March 2006, L’Oreal, Garnier’s parent company, took over The Body Shop in a successful takeover bid. The Body Shop had a distribution network in sixty-one countries with two thousand and four hundred stores. It has proved a blessing for Garnier marketing the distribution of Garnier products, especially the Power Light Range for men’s products.
Here are five key points regarding Garnier’s place strategy:
- Wide Retail Presence: Garnier aims to have a strong presence in various retail outlets, including supermarkets, drugstores, beauty supply stores, and online marketplaces. This strategy ensures their products are easily accessible to a broad consumer base.
- Exclusive Salons and Boutiques: Garnier often collaborates with exclusive salons and boutiques to showcase and sell its premium skincare and haircare products. This approach allows the brand to reach customers seeking a more personalized experience and expert advice.
- E-commerce: Garnier invests in its online presence, selling products directly through its official website and partnering with popular e-commerce platforms. This strategy caters to the growing trend of online shopping and provides convenience to consumers who prefer to shop from home.
- Global Distribution Network: Garnier leverages L’Oréal’s extensive global distribution network to reach consumers in various countries and regions. This network includes distribution centers, warehouses, and logistics partners to ensure efficient product availability worldwide.
- Customized Distribution Channels: Garnier tailors its distribution channels to suit specific product lines and target demographics. For example, they may focus on specialized retailers for premium skincare while ensuring everyday haircare products are available in mass-market stores.
Garnier Pricing Strategy
Garnier has decided to keep a value-added pricing policy to tackle competition between the branded manufacturers. To cater to the needs of various segments of society, the brand has developed different varieties of products. These are from reasonable to high price. Therefore, the pricing policies vary from product to product as they cater to diverse sections.
Some of the Garnier goods are of exceptionally high quality and are at a premium pricing range as the policies are made with upper-middle-class people in mind. The competition in the prices amongst the competitors also helps the consumers as the most prominent brand itself is forced to offer schemes and discounts at regular intervals.
This reduces the product’s prices, making the brand’s pricing policy reasonable. Instead of being stuck in only the premium pricing category, the brand has wisely adopted innovative pricing policies. This has helped penetrate new diversified markets and encourage the highest brand loyalty, larger sales volume, and, ultimately, more significant revenues.
Here’s an overview of Garnier’s price strategy:
- Value-Based Pricing: Garnier adopts a value-based pricing approach, which means its pricing is influenced by the perceived value its products offer consumers. The brand positions itself as a mid-range option, offering quality skincare and haircare solutions at affordable prices for a broad customer base.
- Product Tiering: Garnier offers a range of products catering to different consumer needs and preferences. This includes primary, entry-level products and more premium offerings with advanced formulations.
- Promotional Pricing: Garnier frequently employs promotional pricing strategies to incentivize purchases and drive sales. These promotions may include discounts, bundle deals, or limited-time offers.
- Competitive Pricing: Garnier closely monitors its skincare and haircare industry competitors and adjusts its pricing to remain competitive. This involves benchmarking its prices against similar products from rival brands, ensuring that Garnier’s pricing aligns with market standards while maintaining its value proposition.
- Price Transparency: Garnier emphasizes price transparency by clearly displaying product prices on packaging and marketing materials. This approach builds trust with consumers and helps them make informed purchasing decisions.
Garnier Promotion Strategy
Garnier has adopted a very aggressive and dynamic marketing communications strategy to promote its products. This is to counter its competitors’ effects and create and maintain the consumer base. Radio promotions and television commercials are the most active advertising channels, as are ads in magazines, newspapers, and hoardings.
Garnier has also utilized social media marketing the internet medium to promote its products to online consumers. It runs an online campaign where ads are triggered by snaps of women with remarkable skin. The company “Luminate” has been employed to identify and tag the relevant photos.
The thought process behind the ad was to make the consumers curious about the products that the women were using. Garnier has projected a brand image of itself as a “Green Brand” with a characteristic and unique tagline, “Take Care.” This tagline automatically represents the brand’s caring nature and thus connects emotionally with its consumers.
In a different strategic move, the company stimulated the “Viral policy” of marketing. Under this viral promotion strategy, the consumers were encouraged to pass a marketing message on the product from person to person. This exposure had a positive influence on the product and the consumers.
For its ads, the brand has used several models, actors, and celebrities, both Indian and Foreigners. For an endorsement, the famous and prominent Bollywood Actor Kareena Kapoor Khan was signed as she represents the brand ambassadors’ young and trendy new generation.
In 2011, Garnier partnered with TerraCycle to recycle the product containers. It also decided to promote the use of biodegradable goods to encourage consumer awareness. This resulted in higher sales amongst loyal customers from the eco-friendly section of society.
Garnier’s promotion strategy includes:
- Multichannel Advertising: Garnier invests in traditional and digital advertising channels, utilizing TV commercials, social media campaigns, and influencer partnerships to reach a broad audience.
- Product Sampling: The brand frequently distributes product samples through magazines, in-store promotions, and online platforms, allowing consumers to try their products before purchasing.
- Educational Content: Garnier creates content on skincare and haircare topics, positioning itself as a trusted advisor in the beauty industry and fostering consumer loyalty.
Some Recent Video ads and Print ads of Garnier are:
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Marketing Mix