Dabur Babool Toothpaste is a brand of ayurvedic toothpaste that is sold by Dabur pharmaceuticals. Dabur sells babool toothpaste in a number of foreign countries like Nigeria, Egypt, Nepal, Bangladesh, Sri Lanka and exports to the United Kingdom and the USA. Dabur Babool Toothpaste is made from natural ingredients like cloves, the bark of the babool tree and neem and they protect the gums and teeth.
The toothpaste has whitening agents and one of the core features projected about the toothpaste is the capability of whitening yellow teeth. The key ingredient in the toothpaste which is the bark of the babool tree not just makes the product a natural one but also whitens teeth and makes gums stronger.
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Dabur Babool
The following are the strengths of Dabur Babool Toothpaste:
- Customer feedback: The product Babool was conceived after a thorough research on the tooth and gum issues. The research determined that one issue that other toothpaste failed to address was the yellowing of teeth and thus Babool positioned itself as a toothpaste that whitens yellow teeth.
- Usage of natural ingredients: Dabur has researched into natural ingredients that trigger whitens teeth, makes teeth stronger and also looked at home remedies for and then developed Dabur Babool toothpaste with the bark of the babool tree as its key ingredient along with cloves, neem and other herbs which promote oral health and hygiene.
- Low costs: Dabur has always been conscious of keeping its costs as low as possible.In order to economize on costs, Dabur always tries to source its raw materials from sources close to the point of manufacture.The herbs used in Basbool toothpaste have been grown in-house in their herbal gardens. This has helped them keep costs as low as possible.
- Technology-driven distribution channel: One strength of Dabur has been its distribution channel which is powered by technologies like ERP, RFID and 3 D printing.These technologies have ensured that the distribution channel is streamlined and that they are able to reach their products to the maximum number of people.
- Multiple Features: The extract helps to battle the germs and increases the strength of the teeth. The ingredients also help to strengthen the gums and gives teeth the teeth effective protection. The anti-bacterial power of the ingredients helps them fights germs.
- Increased demand for ayurvedic products: As the negative publicity on the growing usage of chemicals is on an increase, ayurvedic products from companies like Dabur are gaining more popularity not just in India but in other markets as well. The same holds good for Babool also.
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Dabur Babool
Some of the key weaknesses of Dabur Babool are :
- Low penetration in foreign markets: In comparison to competitor products, Babool toothpaste has the lower presence in markets other than India. This will affect the long standing of the business.
- Lower penetration in rural markets: In India, the biggest market in rural India. However in comparison to multinational giants like Unilever which sells top selling toothpaste brands like Colgate the distribution channel of Dabur is unable to get babool to remote locations in India and thus the brand has to depend primarily on urban sales for its revenue.
- Poor presence in other oral care domains: Most brands in oral care that is popular have the presence in multiple product categories like tooth powder, toothbrushes or mouthwashes. However, Babool sells only toothpaste and thus the popularity of the brand is low in comparison to the competition.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Dabur Babool
Some of the opportunities include :
- New and untapped segments: In the oral care segment there are a lot of upcoming areas which are likely to offer a lot of new opportunities for business. These include mouthwashes, tooth powders, toothbrushes and whitening pastes.Dabur babool should try to diversify more into segments like these.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Dabur Babool
Some of the threats include:
- Entry of multinationals: Companies like HUL and P & G which were earlier making chemical-based products are currently foraying into ayurvedic and natural products. These products coupled with local brands like Patanjali and Himalaya are likely to create a surge in competition for dabber Babool.
If you liked this article, we bet that you will love the Marketing91 Academy, which provides you free access to 10+ marketing courses and 100s of Case studies.