Hawkins is a consumer goods manufacturer and was founded in India in the year 1959. It got converted to a public company in the year 1075. Hawkins is an umbrella brand and has many brands under its operations such as Ventura, Big Boy, Hevibase, Contura, and Futura. It sells cookers globally.
Table of Contents
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Hawkins :
This helps in understanding the core areas of the business where it beats the competition and has the competitive advantage in the market. The business should use its strength to create differentiation in the market. Strengths are generally the core competency of the business.
- Global Market – Hawkins has a global presence and hence it helps in building the brand reputation that the products are exported internationally. It sells nearly 72 million units of pressure cooker annually across the globe which is a huge number.
- Brand Reputation and Awareness – Hawkins as mentioned above is present globally as well and hence it has a high brand awareness owing to the fact that it has been selling huge volumes of pressure cooker across the globe.
- Quality products – Hawkins has been able to make its brand internationally because of the fact that the quality of the products are high and they are durable in nature.
- Aptly priced for the customers – The brand has priced its products appropriately so that it can be consumed by the middle and upper-income group. It has different variants of packages priced according to the size of the pressure cooker such as 1 liter, 5 liters etc.
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Hawkins :
This is the pain area of the organization where it does not have the resources or skills. Business has to work upon these areas so that they are not left behind from the competition. Though there will be some or the other weakness it should not be an area which takes the business pout off the market
- Branding and Advertising – Hawkins makes use of television advertising and hence mass advertise the product as it can be used by them. But at the same time, the reach of advertising is not so good and other branding activities are not up to the mark and totally depends on the activities conducted by the store where it sells.
- Company-owned retail outlets are not there – Although the brand is present globally it does not have any vertical integration in the group. It is highly dependent on the retail stores for its sales
- Weak Relations with the Suppliers – Hawkins being a product which depends highly on suppliers and distributors for sales have weak relations with them in comparison to the competitors and hence it leads to low market share
- Market Share is low – As mentioned above that Hawkins is having a weak relationship with the distributors which gives the competition an edge overselling and availability of product leads to low market share.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Hawkins :
This helps in understanding what other things a business can do with the current skills and resources. It helps the business to know the areas where it can expand and take a lead in order to diversify the business and expand the customer base
- Vertical Integration – Hawkins can establish its own retail stores. The brand recall is high and it will help in establishing good connection with the customers in the market
- Market Development – As the size of the economy is rising and rural areas are also getting developed Hawkins should expand to rural areas as well. Half of the Indian population is in rural areas and hence focusing on them will definitely help them to gain market share.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Hawkins :
This analysis helps in understanding what are the areas which can impact the business in future or right away. So business has to prepare itself to handle the threats in the market landscape. Competition or increasing number of players in the market with same value proposition is a threat to business as it directly lowers the customer base and revenue
- Competition – The competition is high in the market. Prestige, Havells and Bajaj Electricals are aggressive competitors in the market.
- Sales Cannibalization – As Hawkins is an umbrella brand and due to the presence of other players under the same parent brand and in the same category leads to cannibalization of sales.
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on SWOT