The Marketing mix of Kurkure analyses the 4Ps of Kurkure which includes the Product, Price, Place and Promotion of Kurkure. Kurkure is a tasty snack that means crunchy. Kurkure is made up of tasty corn puffs with added flavors that are packaged and distributed in the market under the brand name Kurkure. In 1999, this Indian brand was launched under the ownership of PepsiCo. Kurkure has been presented as a fun snack that can always be eaten. Although it seems a simple snack, due to its many flavors and variants, this snack is no longer unassuming. Its success has been exceptional and phenomenal, and it carved out a name for itself. Kurkure has redefined all boundaries of packaged snacks in the Indian market.
Some of the brands that try to give it competition are as follows-
- Balaji Wafers
- Prakash Snacks
- Type: Kurkure is a brand of spicy, crunchy, puffed corn snack.
- Industry: Food and beverage
- Founded: 1999
- Founders: Rahul Jain, Nikhil Gupta, and Ajay Gupta
- Headquarters: Gurgaon, India
- Area served: India, Pakistan, and Bangladesh
- Current CEO: Aloke Bajpai
- Number of employees: 10,000
- Major products: Kurkure is available in various flavors, including Original, Masala Munch, and Chilli Chatka.
Table of Contents
Kurkure Product Strategy
Kurkure is a small stick-shaped snack with spicy flavors. The main ingredients are vegetable oil, spices, salt, cornmeal, rice, and chickpea flour. This delicious and mouthwatering snack is available in many flavors. The customers get to choose from enjoyment to health. Under the health product portfolio, the company has items like Quaker Oats, and for pure enjoyment, there is kurkure in lots of delicious and lip-smacking flavors. Some of them are as follows-
- Monster Smiles
- Corn Cups
- Solid Masti in variants like Nimbu Masala Style and Masala Twists
- Puff Corn like Yummy Cheese and Mad Masala
- Desi Beats in flavors like Flirty Lim, Dildar Masala, and Deewana Tamatar
- Monster Paws like Funky Tomato and Mad Masala
- Hyderabadi Hungama
- Zig Zag
- Puff Corn
- Naughty Tomatoes
- Masala Twists
- Malabar Masala Style
- Tamatar Hyderabadi Style
- Chilli Chatka
- Masala Munch
- Green Chutney
The company has taken special care to maintain the local flavor. For instance, the flavor in the Punjab market is different from the flavor of Gujarat or Bengal. This regional flavor segmentation is done because the brand wants to cater to the whims of different sections of society. It also intends to answer the competition through new and innovative ideas. Under this game plan, the company has used dal in three varieties: South Spice Mix, Bengali Jhal, and Mumbai Chatpata Usal. Its taste is unique because of the use of everyday ingredients in Indian kitchens, like Rajma, pulses, and local spices.
Kurkure, a famous snack brand, especially in India, offers a variety of flavors and products in its mix.
- Masala Munch: A classic flavor that blends traditional Indian spices, offering a tangy and spicy taste.
- Green Chutney Rajasthani Style: Inspired by the flavors of Rajasthan, this variant has a unique taste of green chutney.
- Chilli Chatka: Chilli Chatka is packed with a fiery chili flavor for those who prefer a hotter, spicier snack.
- Tamatar Hyderabadi Style: This flavor brings the taste of Hyderabad’s famous tangy tomatoes.
- Puffcorn (Yummy Cheese): A cheese-flavored puffcorn snack, it’s a softer, puffier alternative to the traditional crunchy Kurkure.
- Solid Masti Twisteez: A unique twisty snack, differing in shape and texture, often available in different flavors.
- Monster Paws: A fun-shaped snack targeted towards children, with a milder flavor profile.
- Naughty Tomato: A tangy tomato-flavored variant famous for its unique twist on the traditional tomato flavor.
- Zig Zag: Introduced as a rice meal with a different shape and texture variant, offering a unique eating experience.
- Protein Bhujiya: A newer addition focusing on providing a protein-rich snack option.
Please note that the availability of these flavors and products can vary by region and time, and new flavors might have been introduced after my last training data in April 2023. Kurkure often experiments with new flavors and limited-edition products to cater to different taste preferences and regional tastes.
Kurkure Place Strategy
Although Kurkure is an Indian product manufactured and sold in all parts of the country, it has started gravitating toward other countries because of its huge demand and popularity. It has established a well-planned and detailed distribution network to reach every nook and corner of the country. The age-old business concept of C&F, then the distributor, then the dealer, and finally the retailer and consumer, is also used here.
This is done to make the products available at all the various big and small stores throughout the country. The products are easily accessible at general stores, high-profile outlets, and supermarkets. The company has even supplied huge stands to display their products at all the points. This is to increase the product visibility in the eyes of the children, the brand ambassadors’ main consumers, and the deciding factors in any household.
Kurkure has launched its unique product in the neighboring country, Pakistan. In 2007, PepsiCo’s local division, PepsiCo Pakistan, manufactured and launched the product kurkure. Later, Kurkure was also introduced to the American, UK, Eastern, and Western Canadian markets.
Kurkure place strategy is as follows:
- Extensive Distribution Network: Kurkure utilizes an extensive distribution network that ensures its presence in both urban and rural markets, reaching out to a wide range of consumers across various geographic locations.
- Presence in Multiple Retail Formats: The brand is available in various retail formats, from supermarkets and hypermarkets to small mom-and-pop stores, ensuring accessibility to a diverse customer base.
- Strategic Placement in High-Footfall Areas: Kurkure strategically places its products in high-footfall areas like malls, movie theaters, and convenience stores near schools and colleges to maximize visibility and impulse purchases.
- Online Retail Integration: Recognizing the importance of e-commerce, Kurkure has integrated with online retail platforms, allowing customers to purchase their products easily from anywhere.
- International Market Penetration: Beyond its strong presence in India, Kurkure has expanded into international markets, adapting its product offerings to suit local tastes and preferences in various countries in the South Asian region.
Kurkure Pricing Strategy
The right pricing policy is essential for any product as it determines the consumer’s choice. The method adopted by Kurkure is the perceived value strategy of pricing. In these changing times, the condition of the market is a bit volatile. Hence, the company has appointed executives who, with the help of advanced technology, arrive at the different pricing ranges of its products as well as the products of the competitors. They then arrive at a one-value pricing strategy that benefits the company and is affordable to the buyer.
The brand Kurkure has decided to keep a reasonable product pricing policy. All the items are available in different quantity packs, and each pack is rated according to its quantity. The pricing range starts from Rupees five, ten, and twenty, extending to the family pack’s thirty. The company has kept its pricing strategy competitive.
- Competitive Pricing: Kurkure employs a competitive pricing strategy to ensure its products are affordable and appealing to a broad consumer base. This approach is efficient for companies in price-sensitive markets, where consumers seek value for money.
- Psychological Pricing: Often, Kurkure products are priced slightly below round figures (like ?19 instead of ?20). This psychological pricing tactic makes the cost appear significantly lower, thus encouraging impulse purchases.
- Product Line Pricing: Kurkure’s diverse product range comes at different price points. This marketing strategy also caters to various consumer segments, from budget-conscious buyers to those willing to pay more for premium or unique flavors.
- Promotional Pricing: Temporary price reductions, bundle offers, and festive discounts are a part of Kurkure’s promotional pricing strategy. This not only boosts sales but also helps attract new customers and retain existing ones.
- Geographical Pricing: Recognizing the economic disparities across different regions, Kurkure might adjust its prices to match the purchasing power and competitive conditions of each market, both domestically and internationally.
- Dynamic Pricing: In tune with market trends, consumer demands, and competitive actions, Kurkure may periodically adjust its pricing. This dynamic approach helps maintain market relevance and profitability.
By combining these strategies, Kurkure effectively balances consumers’ affordability and brand profitability, ensuring a strong market presence and ongoing consumer appeal.
Kurkure Promotion Strategy
Kurkure was specifically launched to grab the Namkeen market, and to do so, it followed a very well-scripted promotional policy. The brand invested heavily in product innovation and its marketing policies. To keep its image vibrant and sparkling, it has come up with various winners. The company’s first campaign had the line “Kya karein control nahi hota,” and it created the image of irresistible and appealing munchies.
The next campaign captured the nation’s imagination with its tagline, “Jo bhi khaya kha ke mast.”The idea was to present the product’s unique flavor to the common person. Once the company had established its firm footing in the market, it started highlighting its values, taste, and distinct Indian flavor. Later, it decided to accept the most challenging of all challenges: to project its product as a snack that a family eats together. In 2004, in a surprise move, the brand roped in the actor Juhi Chawla as its ambassador. Rest, they say, is history. The bubbly and homely actor proved to be a blessing in disguise for the brand and took it to heights that even the brand had not imagined.
Over the years, the association continued, and Juhi and Kurkure became synonyms. Later, it presented kurkure as a teatime evening snack for the family members. The most successful of the kurkure taglines over a decade has been “Teda hai par mera hai,” featuring first Juhi Chawla and later a happy family with Parineeti Chopra, Kunal Kapur, Boman Irani, and Farida Jalal. The company also launched a scheme where special gift packs were launched during Diwali.
Kurkure promotion strategy is as follows:
- Celebrity Endorsements and Ad Campaigns: Kurkure utilizes high-profile celebrity endorsements and creative advertising campaigns to build brand recognition and appeal across diverse demographics.
- Social Media and Digital Marketing: The brand engages with consumers through social media platforms and digital marketing, leveraging online contests, interactive content, and influencer partnerships to enhance its digital footprint.
- In-store Promotions and Collaborations: Kurkure invests in eye-catching in-store displays, limited-edition flavors, and collaborations with popular events or brands to create buzz and increase product visibility directly at the point of sale.
Some Recent Video ads and Print ads of Kurkure are:
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Marketing Mix