The Marketing mix of Axe analyses the 4Ps of Axe’s marketing strategy, which includes the Product, Price, Place, and Promotion of Axe’s products. The Axe marketing strategy comes from the colorful house of Unilever. The home care brand Unilever caters to almost half of the world’s population; over time, the brand has developed a sense of trust among people and tends to serve them with the best every time.
Axe is one of the most popular products; it not only spoils people with hundreds of products to choose from but also serves an experience like never before. Millions of deodorant brands are in the market, but only the likes of Adidas, Park Avenue, and Nivea compete with Axe.
The business development and product innovation team at Axe takes their work with other brands seriously; hence, we are lucky to see an exquisite combination of quality products and exceptional marketing campaigns.
- Type: Personal care brand
- Industry: Cosmetics and toiletries
- Founded: 1983
- Founder: Unilever
- Headquarters: London, England
- Area served: Worldwide
- Key people: Paul Polman (Chairman) and Alan Jope (CEO)
- Number of employees: 150,000
Table of Contents
Axe Product Strategy
Axe intricately understands that preferences differ from person to person; hence, they have started creating products with a range. The Axe perfume and deodorants come in all shapes and sizes. The varied fragrances cater to the tastes of people of all types. While kids are happy with the chocolate flavor, oldies are swaying it with the Musk flavor.
- Body Sprays and Deodorants: Axe is perhaps best known for its wide range of body sprays and deodorants. These products come in various fragrances and are designed to provide long-lasting odor protection.
- Shower Gels: Axe shower gels are famous for their distinctive scents and effective cleansing properties. They are formulated to cater to the hygiene needs of young men and often match the fragrances of Axe’s body sprays and deodorants.
- Hair Care Products include shampoos, conditioners, and hair styling products like gels and pomades. Axe’s hair care range is designed to meet men’s grooming needs with products that provide styling solutions and hair health benefits.
- Face Wash and Skincare: Axe offers a range of facial washes and skincare products for men’s skin. These products are formulated to tackle issues like oiliness acne, and to provide overall skin care.
- Fragrances: Axe also has a colognes and Eau de toilettes line, offering more sophisticated fragrance options and signature body sprays.
- Limited Edition and Seasonal Products: Occasionally, Axe introduces limited edition and seasonal products, which often include unique fragrances or special edition packaging. These aim to keep the brand fresh and engaging for its target audience.
Axe Place Strategy
The Axe is sold in more than 200 countries and regions. The brand Axe is known as Lynx in the United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.
With such a strong presence and a vast audience base, the product innovation team at Axe has tried to create sprays that cater to the needs of people worldwide. Axe Essence and Axe Musk are pretty popular in Asian countries, while Axe Africa is a rage among people from hotter regions.
Axe has a solid penetration in urban as well as rural areas and regions across the world, and it is because of these penetration levels that Axe has become a reliable brand overall.
Here’s the Place Strategy of Axe:
- Wide Retail Distribution: Axe products are widely available in various retail outlets, including supermarkets, drug stores, convenience stores, and department stores. This extensive distribution ensures easy accessibility for consumers across different regions.
- Online Platforms and E-Commerce: Recognizing the growing trend in online shopping, Axe products are readily available on e-commerce platforms such as Amazon, Walmart.com, and other online retail sites. This strategy caters to the convenience of digital-savvy consumers.
- International Presence: Axe has a robust global presence, with its products sold in numerous countries worldwide. This international reach caters to a diverse range of markets and consumer preferences.
- Strategic Placement in Stores: Axe products are strategically placed within retail environments to maximize visibility. They are often positioned near related products in the personal care sections to attract the target demographic of young men.
- Collaboration with Retailers for Promotions: Axe often collaborates with retailers for in-store promotions and displays. These partnerships help in enhancing brand visibility and appeal, especially during new product launches or special marketing campaigns.
Axe Pricing Strategy
What makes the Axe brand so popular is the exquisite range of products and the smartly done pricing. Pricing has played an essential role in making the brand popular among peers. A 150 ml spray is priced between 3-5 USD, which is quite affordable. The perfect range of products allows people to present the best of them to the world without making a hole in their pocket.
Users from hot regions of India and its sub-continent are addicted to this classic brand. A 150 ml spray battle can be purchased against the payment of 200 INR. The product is durable, which makes it cheaper. Axe, indeed, has a set of genius minds working on it. The exquisite range of products available for grabs at such an innocuous price is a cheating deal for everyone.
Axe is also known to use Bundling pricing, promoting 1 + 1 axe bundles or 2 + 2 Axe deo bundles. The company also uses cooperative marketing, and the product can be bundled with other products from within the house of the Unilever brand.
Axe employs a pricing and distribution strategy that is both competitive and market-savvy. This strategy is crucial in maintaining Axe’s strong position in the personal care market. Here’s its Pricing Strategy.
- Competitive Pricing: Axe operates in the highly competitive personal care market. The brand adopts a competitive pricing strategy to maintain its edge, ensuring its products are affordable yet offer perceived value. This approach is critical in attracting and retaining its core demographic of young men.
- Psychological Pricing: Axe often employs psychological pricing tactics, such as pricing products just below whole numbers (like $4.99 instead of $5.00). This strategy effectively makes products appear more affordable, enhancing their appeal to price-sensitive consumers.
- Product Line Pricing: Axe uses product line pricing within its diverse product range. This means products are priced differently based on their category – for example, deodorants, shower gels, and hair care products have distinct price points. This differentiation allows consumers to choose products within their budget while encouraging them to explore other items in the product line.
- Promotional Pricing: Axe frequently uses promotional pricing strategies, such as discounts, bundle offers, and limited-time deals. These promotions are particularly effective in driving sales among younger audiences looking for value in their purchases.
- Market Penetration Pricing for New Products: Axe occasionally adopts a market penetration pricing strategy when launching new products. Initially offering new products at a lower price, they attract customers to try the product to build a customer base quickly.
- Dynamic Pricing Based on Market and Region: Understanding the diversity of its global market, Axe adjusts its prices based on regional economic factors, competition, and consumer purchasing power. This regional pricing strategy ensures relevance and competitiveness in different markets.
Axe Promotion Strategy
Axe products have successfully won the world because of their impressive campaigns. The enterprise has marketed the various product lines quite smartly and ensured everyone uses them at least once.
Axe has established some serious stereotypes and monotony in axe marketing in the ad world, and almost every contemporary follows it. The sensuous ads where men who use Axe are shown as swaying with sexy models are the Unique Selling Proportion of this product.
FIND YOUR MAGIC is the tagline that moves the brand in all corners of the world. THE AXE EFFECT is another tagline that has helped the brand acquire a considerable market share and percentage.
The marketing geniuses have made this brand a success among people from all around the world. Axe is often criticized for its sexism and its objectifying of women in ads. But overall, the brand is mainly targeted at males, and the advertising has worked wonders for their brand equity.
Axe is here to stay and leverage people with access to more classic sprays. The AXE EFFECT has helped hundreds of boys and men portray their swag in the best possible way.
Some Recent Video ads and Print ads of Axe are:
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Marketing Mix