Adaption is needed everywhere. You can cite different examples of adaptation in real life to achieve the goals. Leadership is no exception to this trait; adaption is required there also. The leaders practice adaptive leadership to sustain every type of situation in the organization.
This type of leadership is regarded as an excellent approach to set up healthy growth parameters for the organization. Adaptive leadership is more effective in its implementation and focuses on the overall performance of the current situation’s growth.
It is evident from the recent studies that adaptive leadership shows positive effectiveness and empowers the leaders and employees. The organization’s good leaders use adaptive leadership to succeed with great work culture at the organization.
What is adaptive leadership?
Adaptive leadership is the act of mobilizing other peoples to handle all challenging situations in the organization. After applying adaptive leadership, the employees emerge as the winners.
To curb adaptive problems prevailed in the organization, the concept of adaptive leadership is executed. By this, the toughest situations are also survived with ease. There is no such training for acquiring adaptive leadership.
It is learned and then practiced to get more positive results. The four dimensions of adaptive leadership that can create a leadership framework for you are-
- Navigating around the business environments
- Having the ability to lead with empathy
- Leadership style to learn through self-correction and reflection
- Leadership ability to create win-win solutions
In this continually changing work culture environment, organizations face many problems that can become worse for it.
Consequently, the employees lack the production scale and end up being unproductive for the company. In such a condition, adaptive leadership comes into play. It helps to maintain the productivity of the organization by its applications.
Leaders take advantage of adaptive leadership to bring out the best from the employees while focusing on tough situations.
Adaptive Leadership vs. Traditional Leadership
Adaptive leadership revolves around focusing on leadership as a practice rather than as a position.
An adaptive leader thinks that situations continuously evolve, and accordingly, innovation and flexibility should be used. Let us understand how adaptive leadership is different from traditional leadership-
- In adaptive leadership, job-duties of the employees stay broad-based that offers flexibility while on the other hand, in traditional style, detailed and ironclad job-duty-lists are used
- In an adaptive style, different roles in an organization are fluidic while the traditional method has static job duties for the employees
- Adaptive leadership comprises open communications in which members are encouraged to have their network, while the traditional method involves controlled communication in a top-down organizational style
- Adaptive styles comprise policies that encourage members to innovate and find solutions, but traditional leadership offers strict guidelines for employees
- Adaptive leadership has temporary and fluid organizational structures while traditional leadership has bureaucratic and regimented departments
Principles of Adaptive Leadership
Adaptive leadership works on core principles that drive the whole process. These principles are effective in executing adaptive leadership in the organization.
The adaptive leaders make the team ready for every challenging situation that may come or is present in the organization. With adaptability, the team paces forwards by adapting to the current condition.
Further, the adaptive leaders instill confidence in their fellow teammates through good adaptive nature.
Following are the principles or attributes of adaptive leadership:
1. Navigation of the business environment
Navigation is essential to know about the condition of the organization and other factors leading it. Most organizations fail to adapt to the current situation because of a lack of navigation of the business environment.
To adapt to the current situation, adaptability is required. Adaptive leadership should be used in the right direction to get it done effectively. Navigation of the business environment leads to the proper organizing duties regarding it. So, that adaptive leadership can be executed on the situation.
Empathy is the core part of adaptive leadership. Without this, adaptive leadership is incomplete. The leaders practicing adaptive leadership should show empathy towards the situation and the other employees.
Adaptive leadership demands its executioners to empathize with most of the conditions in the organization. Lacking empathy makes the organization worse by all standards. It harms the productivity of the organization as well.
As the company doesn’t know where its customers and investors are coming from. Because of a lack of empathy, the decisions can also go wrong, not part of adaptive leadership.
3. Self-correction and reflection through learning
Adaptive leadership shows its approach in a very effective way in an organization. It does not mean that your team or you have to stop learning new skills.
Learning is a continuous process. You or your team both have to learn new things to adapt to the new environment continuously. A leader needs to learn new things all the time. Learning helps in quickly adapting the current condition. Learned persons always make the best impact on the organization.
Further, learning leads to new progression periods where the adaptive leaders and employees interact to make it better. In the adaptive leadership concept, you also have to accept failures as part of the learning process.
Self-correction is needed in adaptive leadership to make it better. Reflection and correction are two attributes of learning that should be practiced for positive results.
4. Creating the winning solutions
All organisms require the adaptability of this world. So does the corporate world. With an adaptive leadership concept, the creation of winning solutions is needed.
Every problem has a solution that comes to the leader’s mind after accessing the problem. In adaptive leadership, the leaders solve the problem through navigation and empathy skills. They create winning solutions for the problems.
Adaptive leadership gives space to all employees to make their creative ideas to design the winning solutions. The adaptive leaders make them more confident through empathizing skills. Moreover, adaptive leadership helps in maintaining the productivity rate of the organization to its optimal value.
Characteristics of a good AdaptiveLeader
The following section of the article gives all the characteristics of good and successful adaptive leaders. These traits are well observed in them that lead to maintaining the effective rate of an organization.
The characteristics are as follows:
- The leaders can link up all primary values for the organization. They are adapted to navigating all business environments.
- Adaptive leaders can create an environment that includes all types of diversified views. They encourage diversity in thoughts from the fellow members.
- All adaptive leaders possess empathy for their employees and organization for creating a good environment.
- They understand that change is a painful process. It should be adapted mindfully to get it right.
- The leaders remain proactive always. They tend to be in this state all the time.
- Adaptive leaders always learn new things to adapt to the new coming scenarios for the business field.
- They always have a good vision for the business environment.
- They inspire all employees through their actions and nature.
Final Thoughts about Adaptive Leadership!
Adaptive leadership has revolutionized the corporate world through its adaptability nature and advantages.
However, adaptive leadership has some challenges, but it is still good for all corporate business. Nowadays, every organization is utilizing adaptive leadership for the betterment of the organization.
Are you also in favor of adaptive leadership, or would you prefer traditional leadership? Share your views with us in the comment section.