Halls is a UK based brand and belongs to the medicinal industry. The license to distribute the products is with Cadbury which is known as Cadbury-Adams. It was founded in the year 1930. Mondelez is the owner of the Halls brand globally. The business faces high heat competition and Strepsils is one of the major competitors in the market.
Table of Contents
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Halls :
This helps in understanding the core areas of the business where it beats the competition and has the competitive advantage in the market. Strengths are generally the core competency of the business.
- Operations – The brand recall of Halls is high due to the presence in more than 90 countries in the world.
- Product Line – Halls brand has a diversified product offering apart from the flagship product. It has an expansive portfolio of many brands and a differentiated product range, situated to blow into the altering consumer inclinations across the globe.
- Consistent Innovation in products – Halls continuously conduct market research which helps in better understanding of the needs of the medicinal industry and hence better end product.
- Well established distribution network – The pricing strategy and the distribution network of the business is very well established in comparison to its competitors in the market. Due to its well-established distribution network, it is able to drive more sales.
- Markets of Scale – The business is able to achieve economies of scale. As the distribution is global and hence the plants operate at highest capacity possible to serve to the demands of the global market. It has close to 300 plants across the globe. It has more than 170000 employees all over the world.
- Taste and flavor well recognized and appreciated – The products from the Halls are very well recognized and it gives a distinct flavor.
- Effective Marketing Initiatives – The business is able to execute effective marketing initiatives to attract the non-consumers and retain the existing ones. It has a well-established PR department as well to address consumer concerns. This helps in enhancing the interests of the consumers in the brand.
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Halls :
This is the pain area of the organization where it does not have the resources or skills. Business has to work upon these areas so that they are not left behind from the competition. Though there will be some or the other weakness it should not be an area which takes the business pout off the market
- Substitute products – the industry is highly competitive and more than that there are many substitute products available in the market with the same packaging which further reduces the selling volume
- Competition – The brand faces the heat of competition from local players and other established players in the market such as strepsils, Ricola, and Vicks.
- Presence in rural areas – The brand though has a good distribution network but is not able to establish good distribution to the rural areas.
- High brand Switching – As mentioned above there are multiple competitors and local players, this made it easy for the consumers to switch brands and being a low involvement product consumers don’t bother to be brand loyal.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Halls :
This helps in understanding what other things a business can do with the current skills and resources. It helps the business to know the areas where it can expand and take a lead in order to diversify the business and expand the customer base
- Aligning with the needs of the consumer – The world now is having increasing awareness about the health supplements and medicines and hence with the emergence in this knowledge of the consumer’s Halls can align with the new needs to better innovate its product strategy.
- CSR – Good track record presenting the environment and social accountability that appeals to the principled attractive consumer who likes to consume products and brands that are correctly manufactured and sustainably complete.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Halls :
This analysis helps in understanding what are the areas which can impact the business in future or right away. So business has to prepare itself to handle the threats in the market landscape. Competition or increasing number of players in the market with same value proposition is a threat to business as it directly lowers the customer base and revenue
- Presence of Local players and Copy Brands – Local products as alternatives to its brands. A major problem for Halls is the presence of too many regional players, especially as a mouth freshener.
- Competition and New Entrants – The space is highly competitive due to the presence of local and other global players.
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on SWOT