One of India’s popular chocolates in its category is Cadbury’s Perk which is positioned as the wafer coated with chocolate. Cadbury’s Perk was initially owned by Kraft Foods but is currently a part of the product portfolio of the international confectionery conglomerate Mondelez International.
The brand is available in many popular variants like Perk, Perk Xtra, Perk with Glucose Energy etc. The brand which has not just been popular as chocolate but also a snack is targeted towards kids between the age group of 10 to 14 with its rich taste and texture and presence of water in it. With strong endorsements by young celebrities like Alia Bhatt, the chocolate continues to give stiff competition to its nearest rival Nestle Munch and Kit Kat.
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Cadbury Perk
The following are the strengths of Perk:
- Taste: Cadbury Perk has always positioned itself somewhere in between a chocolate and a snack primarily because of the presence of wafers in it. This was launched as a response to their competitor Nestle’s launch of Kit Kat. However, the Perk was positioned as bigger and better and this helped Cadbury capture the market quicker than their rivals.
- Benefit positioning: Perk has always used benefit positioning as their pitch against their rivals. While the initial strategy was to speak of a bigger and richer chocolate priced the same as the rival brand, the recent launch of the glucose energy version of Perk has been positioned as the snack that can increase energy levels.
- Brand Ambassadors: Though Cadbury’s has always relied on the slice of life or humor in their advertisements recently when Nestle roped in Sushant Singh Rajput for their Munch ads, Perk retaliated by roping in Alia Bhatt. This was a good move since the brand ambassador was someone who appealed to the target audience. There was a similar strategy when Munch used Rani Mukherji and Perk roped in Preity Zinta.
- Richer and bigger: Perk has always been positioned against their competitors as a richer and bigger bar which has a lot of benefits like glucose for example in the new version as against the competitor. The chocolate maker also prices the bigger chocolate at the same price as the competing brands successfully targeting the value-oriented Indian customer who always looks for bigger benefits at the same price.
- Social Media Marketing: Since Perk targets teenage audiences primarily the brand has taken to social media for its publicity lately and the company has been fairly successful in grabbing net sentiments amongst their target age group.
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Cadbury Perk
Some of the key weaknesses ofKissan Ketchup :
- Ingredients: The ingredients indicated in the pack of Perk are the vegetable oil, fats, and artificial flavors, without a clear mention of the type of oil or artificial flavors used. This has made the customer apprehensive.
- Getting the value right: Cadburys just like other chocolate companies in the market is struggling to balance the increase in commodity prices while maintaining the prices of the chocolate bar the same.
- Distribution Challenges: Cadbury’s faces a lot of challenges in the distribution of chocolates since when temperatures surge especially in North India there is a risk that the chocolate bar may melt.
- Competition from internal brands: In the 8000 crore chocolate market in India Cadbury’s Perk faces the highest competition from an internal brand from the same company Cadbury’s Dairy Milk and Cadbury’s 5 Star which are older brands.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Cadbury Perk
Some of the opportunities include :
- Favorable Trends: The Indian chocolate industry is going to be benefited by favorable economic trends like growth in per capita income, increased the frequency of shopping and more spendable income. The rural to urban migration is yet another favorable trend. All these are likely to increase the per capita consumption of chocolate.
- Untapped Rural Market: While multinational confectioners who have tried to enter into India primarily look at only urban markets there is the huge untapped rural market which can be easily targeted by popular brands like Cadbury’s Perk.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Cadbury Perk
Some of the threats include:
- Competition: Some of the major competitors of Cadbury’s Perk are Dairy Milk Silk, Dairy Milk, 5 Star, Kit Kat and