Top wine brands in the world in 2022 are the ones producing high-quality wines in prestigious winemaking regions of the USA, France, Spain, Germany and Italy. Their offerings include some of the most exclusive wines made from quality ingredients like Cabernet Sauvignon, Pinot Noir, Pinot Grigio, Cabernet Franc, Chenin Blanc, Riesling etc. Chardonnay and Cabernet Sauvignon are the top-selling white wines and red wines varietal in the US respectively.
Wine is one of the most popular beverages in the world with a worldwide consumption of 236 million hectoliters in 2021. USA and France are the largest consumers of wine, drinking 33 million hectoliters and 24.7 million hectoliters respectively.
Top wine brands in the world in 2022 are facing stiff competition in the wine industry because each brand is trying to offer high-quality wine in a great bottle with a crisp taste and balanced flavors from their vineyard to wine lovers. Let us go through some of the most popular wines and wine brands of the year 2022.
Table of Contents
An Overview of Top 12 Wine Brands in the World in 2023
1. Chateau Lafite Rothschild
- Origin Country: France
- Owner: Rothschild Family
- Founded:19th Century
- Location: Pauillac, Merdoc, France
Chateau Lafite Rothschild is at the top of the list of the best wine brands in the world in 2022 offering some of the most sought-after expensive red wines to a wine lover. The average price of a 750 ml bottle of vintage wine has fetched $911 making it one of the most popular wines in the world.
The French wine estate produces Bordeaux wine in the vineyards at Pauillac in the Medoc region which has a production capacity of 35,000 cases annually. The grape varieties used by Chateau Lafite Rothschild are 3% Cabernet Franc, 70% Cabernet Sauvignon, 25% Merlot and 2% Petit Verdot. In rare cases, the most popular wine brand has created 100% Cabernet Sauvignon wine like the 1961 Vintage.
Best wines from Chateau Lafite Rothschild
- CHATEAU LAFITE 1869 – A limited edition series that was sold at a price tag of 230,000 USD at Sotheby’s
- CHATEAU LAFITE ROTHSCHILD, PAUILLAC – Full-bodied and refined Bordeaux red wine with notes of cigar box spice, cedar, earth and dark berries. Made from Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot for a great taste
- CARRUDES DE LAFITE, PAUILLAC – an elegant and velvety red wine made from Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot with aromas of brown spices, cocoa, sweet tobacco and ripe berries.
- Origin Country: Australia
- Founder: Christopher Rawson Penfold
- Founded: 1844
- Parent Company: Treasury Wine Estates
- Chief Wine Maker: Peter Gago
Penfolds is one of the oldest wineries and best wine brands in the world in 2022. The Penfolds logo is one of the most recognized trademarks and sought-after wines as eight Penfolds featured in the 2012 list of the Most Desired Brands.
Penfolds Grange 1955 was named by Wine Spectator as one of the Top 12 Wines of the 20th Century. The 2016 Yattarana Chardonnay is one of the most popular wines in the world with a taste of stone fruit, a hint of roasted almonds and vanilla flavors.
The wine producers operate several vineyards in the Southern Australian wine region producing wine made from Adelaide (Shiraz), Eden Valley (Woodbury), Coonawarra (Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon), Barossa Valley (Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz) and McLaren Valley (Cabernet Sauvignon, Shiraz and Grenache).
Best wines from Penfolds
- PENFOLDS GRANGE – Penfolds Grange is made of Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah and has spicy and intense flavors with a hint of ripe tannin and oak
- PENFOLDS 2004 BLOCK 42 – One of the most expensive limited-edition wines directly sold from the winery
- PENFOLDS Bin 311 CHARDONNAY – The Chardonnay uses fruit sourced from three regions to create a fruit-flavor wine with citrus flavors, mineral acidity and complex aromas of peach fruit and white nectarine.
3. Marchesi Antinori
- Origin Country: Italy
- Founded: 1385
- First Vintage: 1385
- Location: Florence, Italy
Marchesi Antinori is one of the oldest, most popular and biggest wine brands in the global wine industry. The iconic wine brand produces nearly 20 million bottles across 150 labels annually.
The iconic winemaker has several wines to its credit. The Monteloro Estate produces white wines and the Antica Napa Valley winery produces Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Sangiovese, Pinot Noir and Cabernet Franc
Tignanello makes red wine blends from Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese and Cabernet Franc, Chianti Classico and white wines from Malvasia Toscana, Trebbiano, Pinot Bianco, Riesling and Pinot Grigio.
The Solaia makes Solaia red wines with Cabernet Sauvignon, Sangiovese and Cabernet Franc and has earthy flavors and aromas of leather, smoke, oak, black fruits, tobacco and chocolate.
Best wines from Marchesi Antinori
• 1990 MARCHESI ANTINORI SOLAIA TOSCANA IGT – Finest red wine with dark magenta color, flavor of fine tannins and a pleasant taste of dark fruit notes
• 1971 MARCHESI ANTINORI TIGNANELLO TOSCANA IGT – Full-bodied wine with notable freshness, mature nose, complex notes, vivid taste, mature palate and intense flavors of cherries, plum, nuts, vanilla and tobacco
• 2010 MARCHESI ANTINORI SOLAIA TOSCANA IGT – Red wine with deep red ruby color, well-balanced palate, sweet spice nose and red berry fruit notes
4. Louis Roederer
- Origin Country: France
- Founded: 1776
- Renamed By: Louis Roederer in 1883
- Location: Reims, France
The champagne house Louis Roederer is one of the best wine brands in the world in 2022. The iconic wine brand exports nearly 3.5 million champagne bottles to 100 countries every year. The wine producer plants most of the grapes and buys the rest from established contacts.
Louis Roederer puts the focus on sustainable practices and produces both vintage and non-vintage wines. Vintage cuvees like Rose Vintage are made from 70% Pinot Noir and 30% Chardonnay grapes and Cristal is made from 60% Pinot Noir and 40% Chardonnay grapes. It has a silky texture, fruity aromas, citrus notes and mineral quality.
The non-vintage wines like Brut Premier are made from Chardonnay, Pinot Meunier and Pinot Noir grapes and have a delicious creamy taste with almond flavors. It is aged for three years in cellars for distinct taste and flavor.
Best wines from Louis Roederer
• LOUIS ROEDERER CRISTAL 2014 – A vintage champagne made from Chardonnay and Pinot Noir grapes that have been bio-dynamically farmed because of sustainable practices
• LOUIS ROEDERER BRUT ROSE 2016 VINTAGE CHAMPAGNE – The Brut Rose has a fresh taste and fruity flavor with ripe and juicy characteristics and balanced bubbles
• LOUIS ROEDERER 2012 VINTAGE ROSE CHAMPAGNE MAGNUM – The Vintage Rose is a rare and unique champagne with fruity flavors
5. Harlan Estate
- Origin Country: United States of America
- Location: Oakville, Napa Valley, USA
- Founded: 1984
- First Vintage: 1990
Harlan Estate is one the best wine brands in 2022 producing Bordeaux blends. There is a high demand for cult wineries amongst wine lovers because of high-quality wines. Harlan Estate is known for producing wine under the brand name The Maiden and Harlan Estate. The winemaker produces nearly 2,000 cases annually
The winemaker in the Harlan Estate in Napa Valley cultivates several varieties of grapes like Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot. Amongst these, the Cabernet Sauvignon wines are the most expensive. The wines have aromatic purity, a sublime finish and well-balanced integrated tannins.
Best wines from Harlan Estate
- 1990 HARLAN ESTATE, NAPA VALLEY, USA – The vintage is a classic wine made from Bordeaux blends like Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Petit Verdot. It has polished tannins, a velvety palate and notes of blackcurrant, cedar and tobacco on tasting
- 2016 HARLAN ESTATE THE MAIDEN, NAPA VALLEY, USA – The Bordeaux blend Napa Valley classic red wine has fruity flavors and notes of herbs, black cherries, coffee and licorice
- HARLAN ESTATE 2005 – The Napa Valley full-bodied red wine has fruity flavors, a smooth finish and notes of lead pencil, spring flowers, violets, blueberries and blackberries
6. Weingut Egon Muller, Scharzhof
- Origin Country: Germany
- Founder: Jean-Jacques Koch
- Founded: 1797
- Location: Saar Valley, Mosel, Germany
- Owner: Egon Muller IV
Weingut Egon Muller, Scharzhof is one of the most popular wine brands in the world in 2022. The family-owned winery uses only Riesling grapes in wine production. It is one of the greatest producers of white wines in the world.
Egon Muller has tied up with Miroslav under the label Chateau Bela and Michael Andrewarta to produce dry Kanta Riesling.
The Egon Muller wines are sold at very high prices as the wines are aged for a long period so that they can reach their peak.
Best wines from Weingut Egon Muller, Scharzhof
- SCHARZHOF RIESLING QBA – The intense and light wine is made from Riesling grapes and has a slate flavor with a peach palate
- SCHARZHOFBERGER SPATLESE 2019 – Overripe full-bodied sweet and dry wine made from Riesling grapes with fruit aromas, smoky finish and etched palate
- 2016 SCHARZHOFBERGER RIESLING KABINETT – The Riesling has a complex palate, notes of apple, musk, earth and berry, herbal mineral quality, fresh and clear nose and spicy aromas
7. Screaming Eagle Winery and Vineyards
- Origin Country: USA
- Location: Oakville, Napa Valley, USA
- Founded: 1986
The California wine estate Screaming Eagle Winery and Vineyards is one of the best wine brands in the world in 2022. Jean Phillips was a real estate agent who started acquiring several vineyards on the recommendation of Robert Mondavi, a leading vineyard operator in Napa Valley. This is how the brand Screaming Eagle Winery and Vineyards came into existence
The Napa Valley winemaker produces cult wines and limited editions of varietal wines. The brand produces several varieties of grapes like Cabernet Franc, Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and Sauvignon Blanc. The winery has an annual production of 400 and 750 cases
Best wines from Screaming Eagle Winery and Vineyards
- SCREAMING EAGLE CABERNET SAUVIGNON 1992 – The Cabernet Sauvignon premium beverage is a limited-edition bottle and one of the most expensive wines sold at a price tag of 500,000 USD, The six-litre bottle is aged in new oak casks and has aromas of vanilla, boysenberry and blackcurrants with a hint of oak
- 2016 SCREAMING EAGLE VINTAGE – A full-bodied dry white wine with straw color, citrus fruit flavor, mineral notes and pepper finish
- SCREAMING EAGLE SAUVIGNON BLANC 2011 – The Sauvignon Blanc is one of the most expensive wines from the Screaming Eagle Winery and Vineyards. Only 30 cases are produced annually to maintain its exclusivity
8. Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
- Origin Country: France
- Location: Vosne-Romanee, France
- Founded: 1869
Domaine de la Romanee-Conti is one of the popular wine brands in the world in 2022 that produces both Burgundy blend red wine and white wine. The wine brand plants Pinot Noirs in most of its vineyards and Chardonnay in only Montrachet where white wines are produced.
Domaine de la Romanee-Conti’s bottles of wine are sold at exorbitant prices at auctions. The wine producer produces 6000- 8000 cases of wine annually and it includes eight different types of vines from eight vineyards.
Best wines from Domaine de la Romanee-Conti
- LA TACHE, DOMAINE DE LA ROMANEE-CONTI – The Burgundy red wine is made from Pinot Noir grape and has a rich fruit flavor and smoky notes
- DOMAINE DE LA ROMANEE-CONTI 2019 – The vintage is one of the most sought-after wines from DRC vintages
- 2007 GRANDS-ESCHEZEAUX, DOMAINE DE LA ROMANEE-CONTI – The wine has ripe raspberry and cherry flavor with a creamy texture, notes of ginger and cardamom and hints of caramel and vanilla.
9. Domaine Etienne Guigal
- Origin Country: France
- Founder: Etienne Guigal
- Location: Rhone Valley, France
- Founded: 1946
The family-owned winery Domaine Etienne Guigal is one of the most popular wine brands in the world in 2022. Also referred to as La Mason Guigal, the brand is known for some of its most sought-after Syrahs like La Landonne, La Turque and La Mouline
Domaine Etienne Guigal produces top-quality wines through sustainable practices. Its flagship wines Like La Landonne have helped the winery to become one of the renowned wine brands in the industry.
Besides Cote-Rotie which is found in rose, white and red forms), Domaine Etienne Guigal is a producer of Saint-Joseph, Chateauneuf-du-Pape, Condrieu, Crozes-Hermitage and Hermitage.
Best wines from Domaine Etienne Guigal
- COTE-ROTIE, LA MOULINE, ETIENNE GUIGAL – A full-bodied, dry red wine made from 100% Syrah with exotic aromas of spice, flowers, bacon fat, red fruit, black fruit, earth and pepper
- 2017 ERMITAGE EX-VOTO BLANC, ETIENNE GUIGAL – A dry, still and white wine
- COTE-ROTIE, LA TURQUE, ETIENNE GUIGAL- A dense dark wine
10. Moet & Chandon
- Origin Country: France
- Founder: Claude Moet
- Cellar Master: Benoit Gouez
- Founded: 1743
The champagne house Moet & Chandon is one of the popular wine brands as well as one of the largest champagne producers in the world in 2022. The wine brand produces nearly 28,000,000 bottles of high-quality champagne annually.
Moet & Chandon produces several wines under different labels like the Dom Perignon made from Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. The brand also founded a venture of sparkling wines called Domaine Chandon. The wine brand rose to new challenges and has created Moet Ice Imperial, a refreshing champagne that can be enjoyed in a specially designed large glass.
Best wines from Moet & Chandon
• MOET IMPERIAL BRUT – Crisp, a clear sparkling wine made from Pinot Meunier, Pinot Noir and Chardonnay. Has an intensity of green apple and citrus fruit with hints of white flowers
• MOET & CHANDON NECTAR IMPERIAL ROSE CHAMPAGNE – Nectar Rose is available as sparkling wines, red wines and white wines and is made from Pinot Noir, Pinot Meunier and Chardonnay
• MOET & CHANDON GRAND VINTAGE EXTRA BRUT 2009 – The sparkling wine is made from Pinot Noirs and have notes of honey and mild spices along with pink grapefruit and floral scent of peony and rose
11. Josh Cellars
- Founder: Joseph Josh Carr
- Founded: 1932
One of the popular wine brands in the world Josh Cellars has produced some of the finest wines in its winery. The vintage wines were produced in collaboration with the winemaker Tom Larson. At the onset, the brand was interested in only Cabernet Sauvignon but soon after began producing Chardonnay for wine enthusiasts.
Over the years the portfolio of Josh Cellars began to expand to include Cabernet Sauvignon, Chardonnay, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Sauvignon Blanc, Rose and Red Blend. Currently, the wine brand offers 10 varieties along with the Premium Reserve wine collection.
Best Wines from Josh Cellars
- JOSH CELLARS CABERNET SAUVIGNON – The Cabernet Sauvignon has flavors of cinnamon, toasted hazelnut and blackberry with hints of toasted oak and vanilla
- JOSH CELLARS PROSECCO ROSE – The Prosecco Rose is a refreshing and crisp wine with notes of blackberry and wild berry
- JOSH CELLARS PINOT GRIGIO – The California Pinot Grigio is crisp and fresh with melon and citrus flavors and hints of juicy pear
- JOSH CELLARS SAUVIGNON BLANC – The Sauvignon Blanc has a crisp, clean finish with hints of green apple and flavours of kiwi and lemon
12. Kendall Jackson
- Origin Country: USA
- Location: Santa Rosa, California, USA
- Founded: 1982
- Founder: Jess Jackson
Kendall Jackson is one of the popular wine brands of super-premium wine and has created a niche place for itself in the global industry. The brand offers red wines, white wines and sparkling wines and is known for its smooth finish and fruity flavours
The product offerings of Kendall Jackson include Chardonnay, Cabernet Franc, Malbec, Meritage, Zinfandel, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah, Merlot, Pinot Noir, Pinot Gris, Riesling and Sauvignon Blanc.
Best Wines from Kendall Jackson
- KENDALL JACKSON SAUVIGNON BLANC – The medium-bodied Sauvignon Blanc white wine has flavours of grapefruit, pear and honeysuckle and hints of lime and fig.
- KENDALL JACKSON PINOT GRIS VINTNERS RESERVE – The Pinot Gris white wine has an aroma of pears and apples and hints of vanilla and butter.
- KENDALL JACKSON CHARDONNAY WINEMAKER’S BLOCK – The Chardonnay is a white wine with fresh fruity flavours and hints of spice and vanilla.
The global wine industry is worth nearly 340 billion USD and is expected to grow to 450.7 billion USD by 2025. The demand for high-quality wines from traditional winemaking regions is at an all-time high as wine lovers are looking at popular wine brands for a great bottle of high-quality wine.
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Lists