Sony Ericsson has been changed to Sony Xperia since 2012 and hence this SWOT is not valid anymore. Do check the SWOT analysis of Sony Xperia.
This is a SWOT of the leading mobile and phone manufacturing company sony ericsson. Sony Ericsson is a company which is rival to Nokia and has excellent phones on offer. Though it is not known to be as user friendly as Nokia, it is a considerable rival nonetheless.
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Sony ericsson
- Existing Knowledge of Target Market which is consumers in the age group of 15-40. – Sony ericsson had a good knowledge of the target base which it wanted to target on.
- Research & Development done in vast number of Countries including Sweden, China, Japan , US & UK – This has helped Sony ericsson to gather useful knowledge base of what a diverse culture of customers might require from Sony Ericsson.
- Creation & Innovation of Fantastic Products – It has some fantastic products in its arsenal though it does not command the same market share as Nokia in India.
- Most attractive & innovative Global Brand – With a backing of
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Sony ericsson
- Low effective Distribution Channels – A major weakness on the part of Sony ericsson is that the distribution channel is ineffective. And hence it has not reached the nooks and corners of the country.
- Less importance given to Promotional activities – Because the promotions are lesser, people are not adopting its products faster.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Sony ericsson
- Untapped Markets- such as Rural markets – Always an opportunity in a country like India.
- More Demand for luxury products from high end user – Premium phones will give it a much required boost so that it can penetrate the market better.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Sony ericsson
- Strong Competition from Nokia which as 59% share whereas Sony Ericsson has 8.1% share – This alone is a major threat and there is a fear that Sony ericsson can be wiped out if this is the case.
- Competition from other small players in the market such as Samsung, Motorola etc. – These small players also conquer their own unique pockets due to which it loses market share.
- Entry of new competitors – The market is open for new competitors which is always a threat for Sony Ericsson.
- Change in technology such as introduction of ‘Iphone’ by Apple – This can be a major threat for the future of Sony Ericsson.
Comments are invited :)
Alternatively, check out the Marketing91 Academy, which provides you access to 10+ marketing courses and 100s of Case studies.
The SWOT of Sony Ericson was good but a detail explation of the points would have been a Add-On.. As in the Merket Share of nokia is high in India and even worldwide, so the reason for the high market share could have been explained in comparision with the loop hole of Sony Ericson.
TO just add on with the high market Share of Nokia the basis differnce that it has is it Contribution or else it eye on the diversity of india. As in India has more of population from the youth group and nokia has paid attention to it and has even tapped the Rural Market from 2002 itself
Hii. thankss for the suggestions. Obviousl in marketing everyone has his own point of view. to ur first post – A comparison would be part of a competition analysis and not SWOT which is internal analysis and rarely targets individual competitors. 2nd post – The rural market has been established as an opportunity. and hence the market share of nokia is better. we are not mentioning here sony is the leader. we are just mentioning its SWOT :) comments are invited :)