Sony Ericsson has been changed to Sony Xperia since 2012 and hence this SWOT is not valid anymore. Do check the SWOT analysis of Sony Xperia.
This is a SWOT of the leading mobile and phone manufacturing company sony ericsson. Sony Ericsson is a company which is rival to Nokia and has excellent phones on offer. Though it is not known to be as user friendly as Nokia, it is a considerable rival nonetheless.
Table of Contents
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Sony ericsson
- Existing Knowledge of Target Market which is consumers in the age group of 15-40. – Sony ericsson had a good knowledge of the target base which it wanted to target on.
- Research & Development done in vast number of Countries including Sweden, China, Japan , US & UK – This has helped Sony ericsson to gather useful knowledge base of what a diverse culture of customers might require from Sony Ericsson.
- Creation & Innovation of Fantastic Products – It has some fantastic products in its arsenal though it does not command the same market share as Nokia in India.
- Most attractive & innovative Global Brand – With a backing of
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Sony ericsson
- Low effective Distribution Channels – A major weakness on the part of Sony ericsson is that the distribution channel is ineffective. And hence it has not reached the nooks and corners of the country.
- Less importance given to Promotional activities – Because the promotions are lesser, people are not adopting its products faster.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Sony ericsson
- Untapped Markets- such as Rural markets – Always an opportunity in a country like India.
- More Demand for luxury products from high end user – Premium phones will give it a much required boost so that it can penetrate the market better.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Sony ericsson
- Strong Competition from Nokia which as 59% share whereas Sony Ericsson has 8.1% share – This alone is a major threat and there is a fear that Sony ericsson can be wiped out if this is the case.
- Competition from other small players in the market such as Samsung, Motorola etc. – These small players also conquer their own unique pockets due to which it loses market share.
- Entry of new competitors – The market is open for new competitors which is always a threat for Sony Ericsson.
- Change in technology such as introduction of ‘Iphone’ by Apple – This can be a major threat for the future of Sony Ericsson.
Comments are invited :)
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on SWOT