Foodpanda is a German mobile food delivery marketplace. It is headquartered in Berlin, Germany and established during the year 2012. It operates in about 40 countries and territories. Foodpanda service permits users to make their orders from any local restaurants through mobile or websites.
Foodpanda has partnered with about 27,095 restaurants in about 193 cities and it has its business with about 15,733 delivery riders. During the year 2016, the firm was taken over by Delivery Hero.
The Delivery Hero brand contains multiple international brands. In Asia and Eastern Europe, it is Foodpanda, in Europe, Canada, and Australia it is Foodora, in the Middle East it is hellofood, and in Russia, it is Delivery Club, etc.
Foodpanda process various orders and sends them directly to partner restaurants. It will then deliver it to their customers. The service is available through mobile applications and websites.
Customers can order food by entering their postcodes on the website. They can browse for food from the list of available restaurants that is shown to them on the website. Customers can also create meals by browsing restaurant menus and then selecting for items that they want to order.
Once the selection is made, the customers need to enter their address and proceed for checkout. The respective restaurants receive the orders and the food will be delivered to the customers. Foodpanda will send out an SMS to confirm the orders along with the estimated delivery time.
Foodpanda is not about just bringing the favorite and good food for the customers from their preferred restaurant, it also about making a connection. Foodpanda sits out with the chefs fixing up various menus that arrives fresh and is also delicious and full of flavor.
During the year 2017, Foodpanda has re-branded from Orange to Pink by having updated logs across all countries. The iconic panda remains at the forefront of its logo.
Foodpanda has also launched a new app and an excellent user interface with various features like live tracking of orders, dynamic delivery time, etc for customers.
- Type: Online food and grocery delivery platform.
- Industry: Food delivery.
- Founded: March 2012.
- Founders: Ralf Wenzel, Jakob Angele, and Niklas Östberg.
- Headquarters: Singapore.
- Area served: 11 markets in Asia, including Singapore, Hong Kong, Thailand, Philippines, Bangladesh, Cambodia, and Myanmar.
- Current CEO: Jakob Angele.
- Number of employees: 80,000+ Worldwide
- Major products: Food delivery, grocery delivery, and quick commerce.
Table of Contents
Strengths in the SWOT Analysis of Foodpanda
- Excellent Platform – Foodpanda process various orders for the customers and sends them directly to partner restaurants. Once the order is processed, it delivers it to its customers. The service is available to the customers through mobile applications and websites, where the customers can order food by entering their postcodes on the website. The customers can browse for food from the restaurant list shown on the website. After the selection, the customers need to enter their address and proceed for checkout. The respective restaurants receive the orders and the food will be delivered to the customers. It will also send an SMS for order confirmation and the estimated delivery time.
- Online Ordering – Foodpanda accepts orders through its websites and mobile applications. It connects customers and restaurants.
- Investments – Foodpanda has raised a venture capital of $318 million. It had raised about $20 million in the initial funding from Rocket Internet and Investment AB Kinnevik during the year 2013. During the same year, iMENA Holdings had invested about $8 Million. It had also received another funding of about $20 Million during the year 2014. Goldman Sachs had also invested about $100 Million in Foodpanda. All these findings are, in fact, a huge strength to the company.
- Various International brands – Foodpanda has been taken over by the firm Delivery Hero during the year 2016. The Delivery Hero brand contains multiple international brands. In Asia and Eastern Europe, it is Foodpanda, in Europe, Canada, and Australia it is Foodora, in Middle East it is hellofood, and in Russia it is a Delivery Club, etc.
- Global Operations – Foodpanda has its business operations in various countries in Eastern Europe, Middle East, and Asia.
- Global Rebranding – During the year 2017, Foodpanda has re-branded from Orange to Pink by having updated logs across all countries. The iconic panda remains at the forefront of its logo.
- Quick Delivery – Foodpanda process the food delivery with less time as it tries to sync its customers to the nearby restaurants.
- Trained Employees – Foodpanda has trained people for making their delivery faster.
- Wide Coverage – Foodpanda has a wide coverage of restaurants and it fits the vast customer requirements and food preferences.
- Good Customer Support – Foodpanda has excellent customer support and works for their requirement and food preferences. It keeps changing the food menus and tries to expand it connect with restaurants.
Weaknesses in the SWOT Analysis of Foodpanda
- Orders from nearby restaurants – Orders are only available from restaurants that are in the zone of the order placed. This is a weak point as all the restaurants will not be available at all places.
- Tap on the Free Delivery – Quantity required for free delivery is sometimes a bit more for one person.
- Yet to cover more – Foodpanda has not yet covered in all areas in a city.
Opportunities in the SWOT Analysis of Foodpanda
- Growing Market – There seems to be in the right fit as in the growing market there is the possibility of potential customers.
- Customer Expansion – Foodpanda must expand its horizon to meet more customers requirements. It will have to tie with many restaurants and bring more customers to the website. This will provide more opportunity for the business.
- Increase in Customer Loyalty Programs – Foodpanda can set up may customer loyalty programs to make the customer stay with them. They could initiate some offers, some reward programs, to make them sustain with them. This would provide a huge opportunity for them.
Threats in the SWOT Analysis of Foodpanda
- Increased Potential Competitors – There seems to be an increased competitor in this market. This is a major threat to the Foodpanda business.
- Low Customer – Over the years of its initiation, there seems to be a low customer in the business. The business should bring out ways to increase their customers as it could be a serious threat to the business.
- Change in economic condition – Economic changes in the world will affect the business. This is also a huge threat to the company.
- Ease of going to the nearby restaurant – People might tend to go to the nearby restaurant instead of getting it ordered through the website. This is also a threat to the business.
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on SWOT