Clean & Clear Products is a line of skin care products owned by Johnson & Johnson. The products which are primarily catering to the skin problems of adolescents had products like face wash, face creams, foams, cleansers, and moisturizer. The brand looks at resolving skin issues like oily and dry skin, pimples, blackheads, fairness, dull and tired skin.
Johnson & Johnson has the brand Neutrogena in the skin care category and but it is in the premium category. The brand is sold in more than 46 countries today and in addition to the Clean and Clear line, there is also a category called Soft which is meant for people with mature skin.
The Clean & Clear product range started its story with a face wash that was meant for teenage girls.The company through its interesting promotions and the right blend of other elements of the marketing mix for Clean & Clear product line.
Strengths in the SWOT analysis of Clean & Clear
The following are the strengths of Clean & Clear:
- Association with Johnson & Johnson: Through their successful line of baby care products Johnson & Johnson already have a strong presence in the minds of female customers and even children are made familiar with the name from a very tender age. The association of Clean & Clear.
- Customer Engagement: Clean & Clear has been able to maintain a high level of customer engagement through a series of promotions and online and social media services. In addition to simple tips for clear skin that they provide on their website, the brand also arranges the free consultation with skin care experts through a chat service where customer are encouraged to share their skin problems for which the expert offers them skin care solutions. The same can also be done by calling a toll free number.
- High customer retention: Like in the case of most other Johnson & Johnson product lines, even Clean & Clear does not have very strong competition and thus enjoy the high level of trust and goodwill.The customers are satisfied and thus are brand loyal which helps them retain almost 80 percent of their customers.
- Right targeting: Clean & Clear product line is targeted towards a niche segment which has a lot of concerns about skin – girls in their pre-puberty and adolescent years. This target segment not just has skin issues but are concerned about looking good and thus are vulnerable.
- Marketing Mix: Johnson & Johnson has taken care of ensuring that all elements of the marketing mix are set in a manner for Clean & Clear that it can garner maximum business. The product line includes resolving skin issues like oily and dry skin, pimples, blackheads, fairness, dull and tired skin.The brand is priced in the economy range and is available in various quantities. The company sells the products through its distribution channel which in extensive and the product is currently available in almost 46 countries.
Weaknesses in the SWOT analysis of Clean & Clear
Some of the key weaknesses of Clean & Clear are :
- Low penetration in rural markets: Clean & Clear products have a low penetration in the rural market of India which is a huge untapped market with high potential.
- Strong competition from ayurvedic brands: Mainstream ayurvedic companies like Himalaya and Patanjali have moved in with a big bang into the skin care segment.Customers are worried about the chemical content in ayurvedic creams which are making them favorable towards the latter.
- The high cost of innovation: The need for innovation in the skin and beauty care segment is frequent and this is creating a need for a lot of research. Added to that is the need for testing to ensure that these products are safe and suitable for the skin type for which it is intended.
Opportunities in the SWOT analysis of Clean & Clear
Some of the opportunities include :
- Huge market Potential: The skin care market has a lot of opportunities for growth in skin concerns. Some of the areas where growth is expected include anti-aging, pigmentation and sun protection creams.These are areas where Clean & Clear does not have significant presence since it mostly involves the mature skin.
- Men’s cosmetics: In India, there is a sudden surge in the demand for men’s skin care products. Though some companies have fairness creams for men there has not been much activity for kids in their adolescent of pre-puberty years. This is a segment where Clean & Clear has the presence already.
Threats in the SWOT analysis of Clean & Clear
Some of the threats include:
- Competition: The main competitors of Johnson & Johnson Clean & Clear are Himalaya, Patanjali, and Garnier.