Sephora is a subsidiary of its parent company LVMH. It is of French origin and was founded in the year 1969 by its founder Dominique Mandonnaud. The multinational brand is associated with lifestyle and retail industry as it deals with the personal care and beauty products. It faces competition from the following
- Richard Hudnut
- Ales Group
- Perfumes Lubin
Product in the Marketing mix of Sephora
Sephora offers a unique experience with its revolutionary concept of fragrances and cosmetic products in the global arena. The company offers nearly three hundred brands to its customers along with its own private label and it includes fifteen thousand products. Its extensive product portfolio includes-
- Face – Foundation, CC, and BB cream, Face Sets, Highlighter, Contour, Color Correct, Setting Powder and Spray, Face Primer, Concealer, and Tinted Moisturizer.
- Cheek – Highlighter, Contour, Bronzer, Blush and Cheek Palettes.
- Lip – Lip Sets, Lip Treatment and Balm, Lip Liner, Lip Plumper, Lip Gloss, Lip Stain, Liquid Lipstick, and
- Eye – Eye Sets, False Eyelashes, Under-Eye Concealer, Eye Primer, Eye-shadow, Eyebrow, Eyeliner, Mascara, Eye Palettes
- Accessories – Blotting Papers, Makeup Removers, Eyelash Curlers, Make-up Bag and Travel Bags
- Brushes and Applicators
- Lip Treatments and Lip Balms
- Self Tanners for Body and Face
- Sun-care for Body and Face
- Eye Care – Eye Masks and Eye Creams
- Masks – Face Masks and Sheet Masks
- Moisturizers – CC and BB Cream, Essences and Mists, Neck Creams, Face oils, Night Creams, and
- Treatments – Facial Peels, Acne and Blemishes Treatments, and Face Serums
- Cleansers – Blotting Papers, Toners, Face Wipes, Makeup Removers, Exfoliator and Face Wash.
Bath and Body
- Body Moisturizers – Body Lotions, Body Oils, Hand Cream and Foot Cream
- Bath and Shower – Soap and Hand Wash, Bubble Bath and Bath Soaks, Exfoliator and Scrubs, Shower Gel and Body Wash.
- Self Tanners for Body and Face
- SunCare for Lip, Body, Face
- High-Tech tools – Teeth Whitening, Anti-Aging, Shaving and Hair Removal and Cleansing
- Shampoo and Conditioner – Leave-in Conditioner, Conditioner, Dry Shampoo and Shampoo
- Hair Tools – Hair Accessories, Hair Combs and Hair Brushes, Curling Irons, Hair Straighteners and Hair Dryers
- Hair Styling and Treatments – Hair Thinning Treatment, Scalp and Hair Treatment, Hair Primers, Hair Masks, Hair Oil, Hair Spray and Hair Styling products
- Women – Bath and Shower, Body Mist and Hair Mist, Oils and Lotions, Rollerballs and Perfume
- Men – Bath and Shower, Deodorant and Body Sprays and Cologne
Tools and Brushes
- High-Tech Tools – Cleansing, Teeth Whitening, Anti-aging and Hair Removal
- Hair Tools –Hair Dryers, Straighteners, Curling Irons and Hair Accessories
- Applicators and Makeup Brushes – Sponges, Brush Cleaners, Brushes for Eye and Face and Makeup Brushes.
Place in the Marketing mix of Sephora
Sephora is a worldwide brand and has its headquarters based at Paris in France. It started its overseas expansion by opening its first store at New York City in the United States in the year 1998 and first store in Toronto in Canada in the year 2004.
Currently, Sephora operates in the United States alone with help of more than six hundred stores. It has spread its presence in places like Turkey, Sweden, Spain, Brazil, Mexico, Portugal, Italy, France, Denmark, Australia, New Zealand, Singapore, Philippines, Malaysia, Hong Kong, China, and India.
Sephora believes in creating a strong relationship between the brand, its products, and the customers. It has offered exclusive opportunities to try its products in its showrooms before making a purchase. All its stores are innovatively designed with experts and sales team to offer personalized services.
The experts also offer advice on the type of product that would suit the individual. Sephora has entered into a deal with JC Penny, a departmental store and offers its products via its outlets to consumers. It has launched its online store for US market in the year 1999 and Canada market in the year 2003. Currently, the company boasts of more than two thousand and three hundred stores spread over thirty-three countries.
Price in the Marketing mix of Sephora
Sephora’s present revenues are estimated at 4 billion US Dollars and are assumed as third highest amongst its competitors. It targets upper and upper-middle class section of society as its target customer. In the beginning, the company catered to women who were status and beauty conscious but with time it added men’s products in its portfolio and has started targeting both men and women as its target customers.
The company has positioned itself as a unique and qualitative brand that offers best products at affordable prices. It bears low overhead costs due to operational efficiencies and thus can afford to pass the margin to its customers via reasonable pricing.
Sephora faces lots of completion from rival brands and has adopted a competitive pricing policy that is lower than rival brands. It also uses promotional pricing and offers incentives and discounts to its loyal customers.
Promotions in the Marketing mix of Sephora
Sephora is a global brand that has adopted pull strategies as part of its marketing plans. It is a firm believer in promotional activities and has undertaken several plans to create brand awareness in the consumer market. It relies heavily on its word-of-mouth publicity as it is sure of the loyalty of its regular customers. They help in creating a vocal chain as they talk to friends and families.
This helps the brand in gaining extensive client list. It offers makeup tutorials to visitors as part of its in-store services. Sephora with help of its beauty consultants take part in several contests and events and offers beauty talks and tips to interested parties.
Sephora advertises via its print ads displayed in fashion magazines and print catalogs which are sent to its outlets. The company offers free services via its membership program Beauty Insider. It allows the regular members products at the discounted range and free samples. Recently it has roped in Indian actress Bipasha Basu as part of its team to launch a new store in Kolkata at India.
Sephora realizes the impact of social media tools in today’s techno-savvy environment and has created several opportunities for brand visibility. It has a Pinterest account where it encourages customers to pin their favorite colors and products and share it with others on the wall. It has 17.7 million and 2.3 million fan followers on its Facebook page and Twitter account respectively.