The Marketing mix of Ipad analyses the 4Ps of Ipad, which includes the Product, Price, Place, and Promotion of Ipad. The international company Apple Inc. designed, produced, and marketed the iPad. The company deals with tablet computers and was the first to launch the iPad, a fantastic innovation by the multinational corporation Apple that catapulted the company into instantaneous fame. As of date, more than 200 million units of iPads have been sold in the international market.
- Type: Tablet computer
- Industry: Consumer electronics
- Founded: April 3, 2010
- Founder: Steve Jobs
- Headquarters: California, U.S.
- Area served: Worldwide
- Key people: Tim Cook (Chairman) and (CEO)
- Number of employees: 154,000
Table of Contents
Ipad Product Strategy
Apple has a clear-cut policy while developing its products. All their products are distinctive, with special features that make them unique.
The first iPad was introduced in 2010, and the next models, iPad Air and the second-generation iPad Mini were introduced in November 2013. The USP of the iPad is its user interface, which is all about the screen, the multi-touch that includes a keyboard, Wi-Fi, and, depending on your iPad model, cellular connectivity. All the iPads can play music, take snaps, shoot videos, and perform various functions on the internet like emailing, browsing, and GPS navigation. The various types of iPads are as follows-
- The 1st generation iPad that set up the design patterns
- The 2nd generation iPad added a dual-core, dual-cored camera era for video calling.
- The 3rd generation included a retina display, 4G, and voice diction.
- The 4th generation iPad replaced the connector with a digital lightning connector.
- The iPad Air added a new processor and reduced the iPad thickness,
- iPad Mini has two versions, the 1st generation and the 2nd
Apple products mainly sell because you then belong to the Apple system. The iPad and the iPhone can be synced entirely in Apple’s strategy. Both have excellent software and apps that help day-to-day activities and can be modified for any business. Thus, the iPad is a choice for residential and business customers.
Apple’s iPad’s product mix includes various models catering to different needs and price points.
The product mix of Ipad in 2023 is as follows (Source)
- iPad (Standard): The ” iPad ” is often called the entry-level iPad.” It’s designed for general use, including web browsing, media consumption, and light productivity tasks. It usually features a good balance of performance and affordability.
- iPad Mini: A smaller, more portable version of the iPad. It’s ideal for users who prioritize portability and ease of use over screen size. Despite its smaller size, the iPad Mini typically doesn’t compromise much on performance.
- iPad Air: Positioned between the standard iPad and the iPad Pro regarding features and price. The iPad Air is lighter and thinner than the standard iPad and often includes more advanced features, such as a better display and more powerful processor.
- iPad Pro: The most advanced and expensive in the lineup, available in two sizes (usually around 11 inches and 12.9 inches). It’s aimed at professionals and power users, featuring top-of-the-line hardware, including the most powerful processors, high-quality displays (often with ProMotion technology for smoother scrolling and better responsiveness), and compatibility with accessories like the Apple Pencil and Magic Keyboard.
Each model in the iPad product mix is usually available in various storage options, and most come in both Wi-Fi only and Wi-Fi + Cellular variants. Apple also periodically updates these models with newer versions, including updated hardware and features.
Ipad Place Strategy
Apple has been able to grasp customers’ attention and interest by its approach to the distribution channels of its products. It has changed the dynamics of a “marketing place.” Being a premium company, Apple must ensure its distribution channel is “Premium.”
The company has a presence in nearly 200 cities worldwide, including in places like Canada, India, the USA, and the UK. Apple stores and outlets are established at well-placed locations where loyal and prospective customers can examine the iPads to their heart’s content and satisfy their curiosity about online purchases. These stores are located in premium localities and have fantastic interior and physical evidence qualities to attract customers.
The consumers also get insight and a glimpse into the management’s approach as well as the technical maintenance facilities of the company. The consultant network includes consulting firms and service providers that conduct on-site services for business and home users.
Apple has also developed a strong presence on the internet and provided easy accessibility to buying iPads. The presence of electronic shopping has helped the company to gain record sales of tablet computers. Online shopping is possible through Apple’s official site and other shopping sites.
The iPad’s place strategy is as follows:
- Apple Stores and Online Store: iPads are prominently featured in Apple’s own retail stores and online shopping platform, offering customers a direct purchasing channel and a hands-on experience with expert assistance.
- Authorized Resellers: iPads are available through a network of authorized resellers, including electronics retailers and department stores, ensuring widespread availability and accessibility for consumers.
- Carrier Partnerships: Through partnerships with mobile network carriers, iPads, especially those with cellular connectivity, are offered carrier-specific deals and plans, enhancing their appeal to mobile users.
- Educational and Corporate Sales: Apple targets educational institutions and businesses with tailored sales programs, offering iPads in bulk with special pricing and support, thus tapping into the educational and enterprise markets.
- International Availability: iPads are available globally, with Apple ensuring a strong presence in key international markets, adapting their strategy to meet local demand and compliance requirements.
Ipad Pricing Strategy
Apple has kept a premium pricing policy for its iPads. Apple’s approach to premium pricing policy is unique. They first analyze the markets and determine the specific budgets of various individuals in different sections of society. Then, they make an ideal product that can fit to a particular budget. All its products are priced so that the consumers will not be able to say that they cannot afford an Apple iPad. At the same time, the customer should have a special “desire” for the product so that he finds buying it an achievement.
The company also offers a distinct pricing approach to the iPad. A consumer can buy a mini iPad, which excludes a retina eye scan. This gives the consumer an even cheaper option and enables price elasticity that will benefit both the company and the consumer. Thus, the company’s strategy for the iPads includes the flexibility to minimize the prices. However, due to Apple’s innovation and premium brand equity, the iPad has a premium price over other tablets.
The iPad’s pricing strategy is a sophisticated blend of market positioning, product segmentation, marketing mix, and value perception, designed to appeal to a diverse range of consumers and maximize market penetration. Here’s a detailed look:
- Premium Pricing for High-End Models: The iPad Pro, the flagship model, is priced at a premium, targeting professionals and power users. This pricing reflects its advanced features and critical elements like superior processing power and display technology, reinforcing Apple’s positioning as a provider of high-quality, innovative products.
- Competitive Pricing for Mid-Range Models: The iPad Air is positioned in the mid-range market segment. Its pricing is competitive, balancing advanced features with affordability. This premium price strategy aims to attract a broader customer base, including casual users and professionals seeking a balance between performance and cost.
- Value-Based Pricing for Entry-Level Models: The standard iPad and iPad Mini are priced to offer value, making them accessible to a broader audience, including students and budget-conscious consumers. This pricing strategy is crucial for market penetration and maintaining a solid customer base in the competitive tablet market.
- Price Skimming for New Launches: Apple often employs a price skimming strategy for newly launched iPad models, setting initial high prices that appeal to early adopters and tech enthusiasts. This approach helps recoup research and development costs quickly before gradually lowering prices to capture a larger market share.
- Segmented Pricing Based on Storage and Connectivity Options: Apple further segments its pricing within each iPad model based on storage capacity and connectivity options (Wi-Fi only vs. Wi-Fi + Cellular). This tiered pricing strategy allows customers to choose a version that fits their budget and needs, enhancing the product’s appeal across different consumer segments.
Overall, Apple’s pricing strategy for the iPad reflects a keen understanding of market dynamics, consumer behavior, and brand positioning, enabling the company to maintain its status as a premium technology leader while catering to a diverse range of consumers.
Ipad Promotion Strategy
Apple is known to be the most innovative marketer and builds its promotions on the foundation of innovation. All of its communication vehicles send a message to the customers that the iPad is different and unique. Apple mainly uses ATL medium to communicate the same, and very little BTL medium is used.
For Apple, the promotional strategy is vital, and this thought process has helped them maintain a stronghold in the market. Their promotional strategy and approach include the introduction of iPads in classrooms at school and college levels. The company has aggressively marketed its products by making it clear that it uses compact, lighter, and easier-to-handle technology.
Apple stores offer discounts and special packages on online purchases exceeding a certain amount. They also provide free shipping for some of the orders. Overall, whenever a new variant is launched, or during the festival period, you will see the newspapers and television filled up with ads for the latest version of the iPad.
The iPad promotion marketing strategy here is as follows:
- Integrated Marketing Campaigns: Apple utilizes a mix of advertising channels, including TV, online, and print media, to showcase the iPad’s features, emphasizing its innovative technology and user-friendly design.
- Collaborations and Sponsorships: Apple partners with educational institutions, creative professionals, and enterprises, leveraging these collaborations to demonstrate the iPad’s versatility and effectiveness in various fields.
- Seasonal Promotions and Discounts: Apple occasionally offers seasonal promotions, discounts, and bundle deals, particularly during holiday seasons and back-to-school periods, to boost sales and attract customers a wider range of customers.
Some Recent Video ads and Print ads for Ipad are:
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Marketing Mix