Image consulting is defined as a professional endeavor to improve an individual’s professional and personal image by making viable changes in his behavior, appearance, and communication. This is like any other process where an expert tries to make his client a better version of himself to achieve desired outcomes.
What are image consulting services?
It is the fact that every individual has a huge amount of potential to look better, but he is either unaware of it or is unable to help himself because of the lack of proper knowledge. An image consultant appears like a boon in these circumstances as he can help the person make the best possible impressions with a few changes.
Impressions matter. This is why people are consciously opting for a consultant who can provide important tips on how to behave, talk, and present themselves at important events. An image consultant will generally offer advice on wardrobe, color, hair styling, vocabulary, grammar, voice, eye contact, body language, posture, handshake, and even tips on etiquette and dining so that there are no goof-ups.
The following often hires an image consultant
- Job seekers
- People who want an image makeover
- Corporate executives
- Professional speakers
- College and university students
- Real estate agents
- Media personalities
- People on the look-out for partners
Types of image consultants
Some types of image consultants are as follows
1. Leadership consultants
Leadership consultants are the new rage as they put their onus on providing leadership training for academic institutions, corporations, and business entities.
Their focus is on grooming people so that they become ready for leadership roles. With the help of seminars, lectures, and workshops, these consultants make the leaders look the part to fit right in.
2. Business and executive consultants
This type of consultants put their onus on clients from the corporate sector. They help business professionals and executives to prepare for social events, business events, speeches, and presentations so that they can present themselves in the best possible manner
3. Fashion and wardrobe consultants
These consultants have a good client base that includes both male and female individuals and professionals who are on the look-out for a makeover to improve their physical appearance. As the name suggests, fashion and wardrobe consultants put their onus on these two categories, fashion, and wardrobe to make suitable changes in the outward show.
They offer valuable advice to their clients on accessories, clothes, style, design, color, materials, and various other related and relevant things. They also make valuable recommendations on salons, health and fitness programs, and grooming so that the clients look comfortable and confident in their new avatar.
Fashion and wardrobe consultants have to undergo extensive training in several fields like personal shopping, wardrobe organizing, color draping, and doing makeovers.
Easy steps for hiring the right image consultant
Take the following steps for hiring the right image consultant
- Identify which service you are actually in need of. Do you want help with your appearance or wardrobe or something else? When you are clear on your needs and requirements, you can only hire the right consultant for the job.
- Decide what the ideal image you want to present and how do you want others to perceive you are
- Determine the value of image consulting tips and services and whether it will prove fruitful for you on both a personal and professional basis
- Ask acquaintances for referral especially ask someone who you think has undergone a successful makeover
- Go through a reputed agency that has a good record
- Shortlist at last three applicants and do a face-to-face interview to determine which one is the most capable as well as suitable for your needs
- Ask them to share some of their experiences as this will give you a fair idea about their modus operandi.
- Check references, image consulting certification, and qualification before coming to a decision
- Select the one who you think will be able to handle your demands and make a difference
Reasons for hiring an image consultant
Some reasons for hiring an image consultant are
- You are not satisfied with your choice of clothes, accessories, etc. and want to make a difference
- You want to have a wardrobe that will flatter you
- You want to learn the art of shopping especially buy things efficiently and effectively
- You want to redefine your professional wear to make a favorable impression and achieve professional growth
- You want to look fabulous and not just ok
- You do not have any confidence and think that the services of an image consultant can help you to dress powerfully and become self-confident
Advantages of image consulting business
The advantages of opening an image-based consulting business are as follows
- The start-up cost of opening an image-based consulting business is very low compared to some other fields. It has proved a lucrative business, and within a short time, the company will start showing profits. This is a win-win situation for a person if he shows inclination in this field
- The best part of this type of business is that you do not have to make an initial investment for premises to cut down the cost. Work from home because most of the time, you will be at the client’s place to help him in his endeavor
- Your creativity, skills, and knowledge are the tools that will help you in this business. You do not have to make heavy investments other business entity does on machinery, premises, equipment, etc
- An image consultant does not have to hire permanent workers in the initial days. He can form viable partnerships with life coaches, personal trainers, stylists, hairstylists, make-up artists, grooming officials, etc. When his business starts booming, he can hire as per his requirements
Disadvantages of image consulting career
The disadvantages of opening an image-based consulting business are as follows
- It is a challenging field as the consultant will have to gather essential details about every client that comes his way. This is going to prove a time-consuming process where he will have to work long hours and give his 200%, which is not possible every single time
- The consultant has to look the part as he will step into a field where his style, impression, personality, and persona will decide whether the business will be given to him or not. If a consultant does not have an appealing appearance, then his chances of making it out in this field are slim to none
- Tact and subtlety will have to be ingrained in the consultant if he wants to make a name for himself. He will be working with essential people whose egos are bigger than their bank balance, and a single error can prove costly
- The image consultant will have to be on his toes throughout his career. He needs to know all the latest trends as any goof-ups can prove costly to the business
Image consulting services are a profitable business and in great demand. Almost everyone wants advice on his behavior, appearance, style, etc. to positively impact an unforgettable impression on other people.
This is the world where the outer facade matters more than the inner one, and an image consultant helps to polish the outer shell so that it looks shining and beautiful to the world.
Alternatively, check out the Marketing91 Academy, which provides you access to 10+ marketing courses and 100s of Case studies.