What is telephone etiquette is one of the most common questions in the minds of people. It is how the person on the phone handles the conversation and behaves with the person at the other end. It includes the way you greet, the way you conclude the call, your words, the tone, the pitch, the small nuances, and even your listening skills.
The telephone is one of the primary communication tools and has a place of importance in the professional atmosphere. This is often the first point of contact and helps create a favorable impression from the onset of a deal.
22 Tips for Telephone etiquette training
Follow the mentioned guidelines for telephone etiquette training
- One of the essential things to remember for telephone etiquette training is that you should always be prepared with the necessary tools as preparation is the key. Keep a bundle of papers as well as a pen near the telephone. There should also be a local telephone directory to go through if required. Also, keep a contact list of the people whom you have to call regularly as well as the essential services in your neighborhood in case of any emergency.
- Speak the words in a precise and clear manner so that the person at the other end can make out the words clearly
- Keep your voice at a medium level so that it is appropriately audible and does not sound harsh and sharp on the telephone
- Do not take too long to pick up the incoming call. If for any reason you miss it call back to know the reason for the call
- Do not keep the conversation too long as the person at the other end might have some other important work to do
- Greet professionally with a pleasant tone and voice during interaction on the telephone.
- Start with a greeting, for instance, good morning, good noon, welcome to the company, hello, how I may help you, etc. Next, state the name of your company or department and introduce yourself. Lastly, offer help by saying, “how may I help you”?
- Calling people especially customers and clients at odd hours like early mornings and late nights are considered rude hence avoid it at all cost
- After greeting the person at the other end, ask whether it is a convenient time for him to talk. If he is busy, there is no point in any interaction as it will not prove meaningful
- Make the person at the other end feel welcome if he is calling you or be enthusiastic if you are calling him. Be sincere in your efforts as this will come across loud and clear even on the telephone
- Use the correct form of address, for instance, sir or Mr for gentlemen and Ms or Madam for females
- You can address the person by name if you have been interacting with him for a long time and are on good terms
- Keep your content relevant and to the point. It is a professional call that does not play with words instead of conveys the information crisply in a convincing manner.
- Do not put the person on the other end on hold for an extended period as it is considered against phone etiquette at work.
- Give the caller your full attention. Take one call at a time and do not try to make do with multiple calls as you will sound distracted in every one of them.
- The listener is bound to get irritated if you keep on interrupting him during a conversation
- Control the conversation from the beginning and keep the caller on the track if you are looking for telephone etiquette training. Ask related and relevant questions and use a direct approach to deal with the issue at hand
- Do not eat anything while talking on the phone as it is considered bad manners and against telephone etiquette training activities. Avoid drinking, smoking as well as chewing anything as the sounds will be audible, and it will be against social and etiquette norms
- Take an accurate message if you are the intermediary. Do not use shorthand or a shortened version as it might change the meaning of the message or result in any miscommunication. Include callers name, for whom the call is and date and time with the message
- Do not nod as the person at the other end is not able to see you instead provide spoken signals like sure, yes, of course, good, I understand, hmm, etc.
- After your conversation is complete, reaffirm the highlighted point and end the conversation with pleasant words. Avoid saying Goodbye and instead use words like nice speaking with you, and please call again, good day, take care, etc
- Leave a good impression at the end of the conversation
Importance of etiquettes
Importance of telephone etiquette is because of the following reasons –
- Telephone etiquette is considered necessary as it helps to show professionalism. It does not matter whether you are a start-up or an established entity in both cases; you will have to communicate your work knowledge to the interested parties. The best medium at your disposal is the telephone, and if you are adept at telephone etiquette it will help to establish your business far and wide
- Telephone etiquette helps to earn the C of the customers and with time their loyalty
- Importance of telephone etiquette is that it helps to create a good impression by showing respect and being polite
- Telephone etiquette encourages potential customers to reach the stores and purchase the available goods and services.
- When you can satisfy all the queries and wants of the customer on the phone, it will result in high ratings for customer satisfaction.
In this age of technological advancement, telephonic communication is still considered one of the most convenient ways of making conversation. Most organizations are quite determined to maintain proper telephone etiquette for the successful flow of information and healthy communication with their customers and clients. a
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Careers