The conclusion or writing a good conclusion paragraph is referred to as the last paragraph in a paper, article, or essay that summarizes the mentioned information in a few relevant words.
It drives home the essential points and provides closure. A conclusion is the last chance for the writer to impress the reader and make a powerful impact on his mindset. It shows the reader why the essay mattered and the reason it was read in the first place.
As the name suggests, the words to conclude an essay are essential. The conclusion concludes and restates what was written earlier in the essay. It will not present any new ideas or rewrite the essay as that is not its purpose. It is the last chance to have your say, to show the importance of your words, and influence the reader.
In some cases, the conclusion pushes the existing boundaries to go beyond the confines of the essay. The topic of how to conclude an essay helps to create new connections, consider the broader subject matter, and focus on the importance of your findings.
Strategies for writing a good conclusion
Some strategies for writing a good conclusion are mentioned below
1. Play the so what and why should you care game
One of the popular strategies used for essay conclusion is to play the so what and why should you care When you are writing how to write a conclusion, think of the question, so what repeatedly.
If you are stuck at a specific point, think of that question and try to find the right answer. For example, this essay is very important for the readers. So what, it is essential because it provides information. Why should you care?
The information will act as a guiding force for the students, and this is why we care and so on until you find the right lines to make your conclusion the best.
2. Include an insight
If you are looking for an effective way for how to conclude an essay without saying in conclusion, you can include an insight from the essay to make it efficient
3. Return to the theme mentioned in the introduction
One of the popular strategies used to write a good conclusion paragraph is to return to the theme mentioned in the introduction. It will bring you full circle by creating a viable bridge between the introduction and conclusion.
If you have started the introduction by introducing a concept or idea, you can conclude with the same idea. It is also acceptable to use parallel concepts or keywords as a part of a conclusion to give it a definite ending.
One of the popular strategies used to write a captivating essay conclusion is to synthesize. Do not repeat things that were written earlier in the essay. Include a summary of the significant points and demonstrate how the points were made.
Pull all the information together through a few effective lines
5. Propose a course of action
If you are looking for an effective way of how to conclude an essay, you can propose a course of action in conclusion.
This can act as a question for further study or a solution and help in redirecting the thought process of the reader so that he can view the broader implications
Purpose of conclusion
The conclusion should be informative but brief as well. It should highlight the critical points and leave food for thought so that the reader can ponder on the essay awhile. It is about offering a final comment on the topic that you have written. The purpose of a conclusion is defined below-
- The purpose of a conclusion is to leave a strong impression with the reader
- The purpose of a conclusion is to make viable connections so that it can tie together the major points of the essay
- The purpose of a conclusion is to prove your thesis in an effective way
- The purpose of a conclusion is to demonstrate why the analysis is important
- The purpose of a conclusion is to give an ending to the essay in a meaningful manner
- The purpose of a conclusion is to show that the task or the reason for the essay is accomplished
- The purpose of a conclusion is to restate the statement
- The purpose of a conclusion is to express thoughts in a simple and clear language that can be easily discerned
- The purpose of a conclusion is to end the essay with something specific and not general as was the case with the introduction
What to include in a conclusion
Important components that should be included in a conclusion are as follows-
- A minimum of three to four sentences that will act as a summary of significant points
- The conclusion should wrap up the essay in a smooth and tidy manner
- Convey final thoughts
- The conclusion must analyze the main points of the essay
- It should restate and resonate with the thesis statement
- Integrating all ideas to highlight the importance of the topic
- Include logical and clear words and ideas
- Make your position clear and convince the reader that yours is the best approach
- Give food for thought
- The conclusion should be well proofread
What to avoid in a conclusion
Important components that should be avoided in conclusion are as follows-
- Do not go over the whole paper instead of offering a summary
- Do not state the thesis in conclusion for the first time
- Do not opt for a one-sentence conclusion
- Do not introduce something new in the conclusion for instance statistics or ideas as they are part of the main body in the essay
- Do not copy-paste any sentence that you have already mentioned in the essay
- Do not repeat any ideas from the essay
- Do not introduce a subtopic in the conclusion
- Do not provide any facts that will go against the arguments or ideas that are given in the essay
- Do not start the conclusion with phrases, for instance, To conclude, To sum up, To summarize, etc
- Do not undermine your argument by using apologetic phrases that sound confused and uncertain
- Do not keep the broader implications and central point unclear
- Do not use emotional or sentimental words or language in an analytical paper as it would lessen the faith of the paper
- Do not use statistics in the conclusion as its place is in the body of the essay
Outline of conclusion
A conclusion should be balanced, and the conclusion outline must include the following if you are looking for how to conclude an essay
1. A conclusion starter
It is the topic sentence that will restate the thesis statement. You can also paraphrase your thesis statement and write it first in the conclusion if you are looking for how to conclude an essay
2. A summary of the main parts
It includes 2-3 sentences that wrap up the arguments that were provided in the essay. It has two parts. The first is a supporting idea, to sum-up the significant points and the second is the main idea to highlight core facts and show the relevance of the essay
3. A concluding sentence
It is the final sentence and is written to summarize the whole paper and provide an answer to the query So what? The concluding statement connects the reader with the introduction and provides an all-important closure to the topic
Conclusions that are considered inappropriate and ineffective
Some of the conclusions that are considered inappropriate and ineffective are described below
1. The Sherlock Holmes conclusion
When the writer mentions the thesis for the first time in the conclusion, it is known as Sherlock Holmes’s conclusion because it looks as if the writer expects the reader to find hidden clues and meaning like the detective Sherlock Holmes. Sometimes the writer does not want to give away too much information in the early stage and keep on biding his time.
It becomes so late that the only place to fit it is in conclusion, which is considered inappropriate and ineffective. Do not opt for The Sherlock Holmes conclusion if you are looking for how to conclude an essay.
2. That’s my story, and I am sticking to it conclusion
When people do not have anything to say they generally have this mindset that says that’s my story and I am sticking to it.
This type of conclusion is considered inappropriate and ineffective as it only retells the thesis in a single line or two.
The conclusion is concise and does not clarify the ideas that were mentioned earlier.
3. The Grab Bag conclusion
Sometimes, writers try to incorporate additional information into the lusion. This is because they were unable to fit it in the introduction or body and now have no other place to fit it—the essay which until now was well-organized looks haphazard and created lots of confusion.
4. We shall overcome the conclusion
This is a powerful emotion to appeal no doubt but inappropriate and ineffective for a conclusion. It does not suit an analytical paper which should have proper facts
The conclusion of an essay is an important part of every essay as it provides an ending to the essay and completes it on a positive note. It is about summing up the whole essay and providing the audience with relevance to the topic as well as a final impression.
The words to conclude an essay should be framed in such a manner that the reader feels glad that he took out the time to read the essay.