Outdoor Advertising Definition: Outdoor advertising refers to advertising that is displayed in outdoor locations and targets consumers when they are away from their homes. Examples include transit advertising like bus advertising or train ads; roadside billboards; digital billboards; and outdoor ads, including posters and ads on street furniture. It is, often referred to as Out-of-Home (OOH) advertising.
Outdoor ads are effective in reaching large audiences. They can often be seen from a distance, making them an excellent medium for communicating simple messages or building brand recognition. Outdoor advertising is also cost-effective and has the potential to reach people at a variety of times throughout the day.
Table of Contents
What is Outdoor Advertising?
Outdoor advertising is when a business runs an advertising campaign in specific geographic locations that reach prospects and potential consumers when they are outside their homes. Outdoor advertising may use different tools such as Billboards, Restaurant ads, Transit ads, or others.
Outdoor advertising is one such technique that is quite efficient as a mass-market medium, and you can use it for branding, broad messages, support campaigns, and so forth. It is a form of advertising where people can know about specific products or services when they are outside the home.
While you are outside, you might see billboard advertising about a specific product offered by a company. So, this is precisely what we call outdoor advertising. It is letting people know about the products or services through some ads when they are outside their homes.
9 Types of Outdoor Advertising
Here we are going to mention some of the essential types of outdoor advertising options –
1) Static Billboards
You might have come across a billboard now and then, right?
Billboards are giant posters that are displayed in some of the most popular locations in the area. Now, these giant posts are the ones that have some advertisement about the product or the services.
The crowds of people that see the poster can know more and more about a product. It can be said without a doubt that these billboards tend to work in the best way for sure.
2) Mobile billboards
There are some graphics and advertisement options that are often seen on trucks and buses, and they seem to be mobile. So any form of advertising media which is mobile can be used as Outdoor media.
This is another one of the most incredible forms of outdoor advertisements that brings the best results to the company. You need to try it once to have some great results.
3) Digital billboards
There are some other types of billboards which we are pretty sure that you are going to love for sure. You might have seen a proper digital billboard that has different advertisements every single time.
This is another one of the fantastic advertisements which tend to provide some great results to the company that is doing the ads for sure. So, there is no doubt that this one is worth a shot.
4) Lamp Post
This is another type of fantastic outdoor advertisement which is very common in some of the main areas. Particular lamp post banners are really noticeable at night by the streetlight. This is a typical banner style that makes sure that people are paying attention to the poster.
So, this is another fantastic form of outdoor advertisement that people need to try out in the best way.
5) Transit advertising
Now, this is another form of excellent advertisement which can target tourists, commuters, and people in the city. These people are always using extreme types of transport. So, that is something which they can see a lot of times.
Having some advertisements there can help the company out a lot. So, this is another type of outdoor advertisement which can be helpful.
There you have it, people. These are some of the types of outdoor advertisements that you need to try out. We are sure that the results would be great.
6) Outdoor Advertising on Bridges
You can opt for this type of advertising for targeting commuters, and for this, you can make a bridge banner for busy pulling in more prospects.
You can use these banners on different types of brides in your target location. This sort of advertising can be quite useful if your primary target group is the frequent travelers who follow the critical bridges in your areas.
Being aware of your market segment and its presence will help you come up with the right bridge outdoor advertising strategies. Bridges can be the most impressive point of attraction for many prospects, so using this strategy can be quite useful for you.
7) Point of Sale Displays
You must have noticed different products available at the billing counters. They are also integral parts of outdoor advertising in which, some impulsive buyers opt for those products just by seeing them in front of their eyes while waiting for their turn to come at the billing counter.
Businesses that opt for this strategy request store owners to place their products around the billing counters. However, the critical thing that you need to pay heed to here is that only tangible products are displayed here.
Interesting, unique, and useful products that can immediately draw the attention of buyers are considered the best pick for such sorts of advertising.
8) Retail Advertising
With this kind of outdoor advertising, you will be able to keep a customer proceeding to shop more. For this local outdoor advertising campaign, there is no preferred place over a shopping center to advertise the goods.
At shopping malls or centers, customers are motivated to shop, and being an excellent advertiser; you have to exploit this mindset in your favor. You can come up with different types of marketing materials and use them at various places in the mall. For different items that people regularly purchase, outdoor retail advertising is considered highly useful. Posters, banners, storefronts, etc. are some of the most common forms of retail outdoor advertising options that you can try.
9) Outdoor Signs
Outdoor signs are an excellent medium to spread the word about your products and services. You can use big or small signs, depending on the nature of your campaign. These signs are useful to attract attention and ensure people remember your brand after they encounter it.
Digital signs are among the most effective outdoor advertising tools out there. These signs can change frequently, presenting diverse content, which makes them ideal for targeting specific audiences. They also allow businesses to display real-time updates like alerts or special offers. Furthermore, digital signs simplify tracking customer feedback.
Benefits of Outdoor Advertising
Outdoor advertising brings with it a multitude of advantages. It’s versatile, allowing advertisers to tailor their campaigns to their target audience, and it’s also cost-effective. Whether you’re a small firm looking to save on expenses or a larger company that can afford high-cost placements, outdoor advertising offers a solution for everyone.
1. High Visibility: Outdoor advertisements, especially those placed in high-traffic highways or busy subway stations, are highly noticeable and hard to ignore. This ensures a wide reach for your brand or product.
2. Cost-Effective: Compared to other forms of advertising, outdoor advertising can be a low-cost option, providing a high return on investment. It’s a particularly good choice for small firms with limited marketing budgets.
3. Targeting Specific Audience: Outdoor advertising can be strategically placed to reach a specific target audience. This can increase the efficiency of a campaign drastically.
4. Flexible and Creative: Outdoor advertising allows for unique and creative executions using different shapes, sizes, and styles to catch a viewer’s eye.
5. Constant Exposure: Unlike other mediums, outdoor advertisements are accessible to consumers 24/7, ensuring continuous exposure and repeated reinforcement of your message.
Examples of Outdoor Advertising
Some of the examples of out of home advertising used by small businesses as well as big companies are –
1. McDonald’s sundial billboard: This billboard is used by McDonald’s back in the year 2006, and it is still rated as one of the best examples of outdoor advertising. In this creative billboard ad, McDonald opted for an M-shaped sundial that displayed a range of snacks from McDonald’s depending upon the specific times. So, it used to show coffee and croissant in the morning while burgers and patties in the afternoon, and so forth.
2. Audi A4 Wi-Fi hack: Audi quite adeptly uses outdoor advertising in one of its campaigns in the year 2016. They offered a series of Wi-Fi hotspots at the 2016 New York Auto Show whose names were the advertisements of their new model Audi A4. Different names of the Wifi hotspots were “328 reasons to choose A4”, “A4: more torque than 328i”, and “A4 has Wi-Fi”. This strategy was quite effective in sharing the company message in the most impactful manner possible. First, they were offering free services to the car fans, plus they were psychologically influencing them to not only remember the Car model but also the core features that make it superior to other competitors.
How to Choose an Outdoor Advertising Service Provider?
Choosing the right outdoor advertising service provider can make all the difference in how effective your campaign is. You should consider the following factors when selecting an outdoor advertising agency –
- Understanding of your brand and target audience
- Creativity and innovation in campaign design
- Proven track record of successful campaigns
- Wide range of advertising mediums offered
- Competitive pricing and value for money
- Professional customer service and support
- Sound knowledge of current trends in outdoor advertising
So, that was all about outdoor advertising, and we hope you would have understood different types of out-of-home advertising techniques and their impacts in widening the reach of a brand and encouraging more sales.
Different outdoor advertising strategies have been quite prominent for small as well as big businesses for ages. It empowers a brand to use different varieties of creativity to target more and more prospects and enjoy better lead generations and conversions.
Have you ever tried outdoor advertising techniques for optimizing the presence of your brand?
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Advertising