Mobile marketing refers to the different methods that enhance the reach of various products and services through mobile/smartphones.
It is more of an advertisement practice that targets explicitly mobile users as a part of their campaign. Some factors, like the location, age, interests, etc., of the users, are considered. This will provide a better connection between the brand and the customers.
Additionally, customized marketing strategies can help build better and stronger communication footholds for consumers and the brand that they go to purchase.
What is Mobile Marketing?
Mobile marketing is a strategy where brands or businesses make campaigns or advertisements meant solely to be viewed in smartphones, which means they are compatible with being viewed in the smartphone without their quality and message being compromised. As many people have started using mobile phones, making communications to them entirely through their mobile phones can mean the generation of a fairly targeted audience.
It helps give customized, real-time updates and brand promotions, which can be easily accessed by people right on their phone screens from the comfort of their home.
The trend of digital marketing is based on the concept of mobile marketing and providing people with content that makes them stay in the loop with the functionalities of a brand. It also helps the brand stay relevant in the minds of the consumers.
The Necessity for Mobile Marketing
One might argue the variety of reasons that exist for requiring mobile marketing. It will be a waste if marketers do not target the mobile-browsing crowd and the millennials in present-generation marketing.
Following are some of the reasons why mobile marketing is a necessity in today’s world driven by technology.
- Consumers have started consuming digital media voraciously. This means that the consumption patterns of their media have changed and evolved over the last decade. Now, people use the internet more for their requirements, rather than television or radio. Thus, it makes sense for marketers and advertising agencies to shift some of their strategies to a more digital platform.
- The purchase of mobile phones has increased over the last decade. Starting from the button phones now is the age of smooth-running touch screen phones, where people spend about 80% of the time they spend on leisure and entertainment. Thus, campaigns made solely for mobile phones can give better recognition.
- It was also found through research that 20% of the people prefer using the Tablet to mobile phones because of the comfort they get from using the larger screen. Thus, providing marketing communications in a readable format on a tablet can help reach a slightly greater audience.
- The kind of internet that people get nowadays has changed as well. Previously, the internet charges used to be high, and even at that high price, getting good download speed was not possible. But nowadays, countless network service providers and WIFI companies provide large GBs of internet per day at a fairly reasonable rate. In such a situation, providing advertisements, through the internet, that reaches the people can help increase sales.
- Social media has come about in the last decade or so. Be it Facebook, Twitter, or Instagram, people use them religiously. Some people wake up, and the first thing they do is scroll down their social media feeds. When so much of peoples’ media usage and attention has been grabbed by social media, it is necessary to have social media campaigns aided by mobile marketing strategies. It helps in reaching both the older and the budding younger generation.
Types of Mobile Marketing
Listed out are the types of Mobile marketing that exists today.
1. App-based marketing
Countless apps are available in the play store or the App Store. Most of these apps are free to download with in-app purchases at times. People who cannot or do not want to make in-app purchases have to go through the Ads.
Therefore, all the time people spend on these apps, a chunk of them is used in marketing. Facebook or Instagram does pay promotions and marketing communications for brands or third-party apps visible to the people and helps generate organic traffic.
2. In-game marketing
Many of the downloaded games via the app stores have been purchased, and one can also watch ads to get bonus points or gain trophies for playing. That is another way in which markets and brands are pitched to the audience when they are engaged in a good game.
These ads usually appear as popup ads or video ads, comprising about 30 seconds to a minute. They help a lot in getting new consumers to think about a particular product or brand.
3. QR Codes
These are specific codes that intrigue peoples’ curiosity and make them check further. Nowadays, rather than jamming a lot of content in a single template, a lot of marketing is done by directing people to a website or a page through a QR code.
It is easy because people have to scan it using their phone’s camera, and the algorithms can take you there. This again helps bring in organic traffic to the brand’s website.
4. Location-based marketing
These are highly targeted marketing communications and advertisements on peoples’ phones, depending on where they are currently. This works because when you move from one place to another, the phone’s GPS might acknowledge your current location. Advertisers and brands want their ads to be generated in a localized manner to have a focused distribution.
SMS has become a very convenient way to connect with the consumer, make sales, or address grievances. Knowing their phone number from the database helps companies send out bulk messages to many of their customers, and most of this kind of communication calls the people to action.
6. Mobile-image ads
These are Google Ads that come up anytime someone goes through websites. These links help in redirecting consumers to the main website for the brand in that ad.
Steps of Mobile Marketing
There is no doubt in the fact that mobile marketing is not a single-step process. Various activities are involved in conducting a successful market drill among customers. The various steps involved in it are,
1. Know your Audience
Firstly, you can proceed with mobile marketing until you are quite familiar with your audience. Promotion of any kind of brand or service requires an in-depth knowledge of the customers who will be affected by it. Even the slightest information about their behavior or buying patterns can provide a huge advantage to the company.
This is sometimes also referred to as the Persona of the buyers. Personas are a mere reflection of a person that is visible to people in his surroundings. Make sure to track their habits and other regular practices, as it will help you develop more effective marketing strategies.
2. Goal Selection
As we move along this guide, you will come across various features that will help you understand the mechanics involved. This includes developing personas, creating a personalized marketing toolkit, and a calendar for the same. Moreover, get to know about various methods to combine the current channels with your strategy,
3. Initiate KPIs
Key Performance Indicators or KPIs will give an overall estimate of how strongly you are following the marketing strategies created in the early stages. You should have a clear picture of KPIs for a successful mobile marketing campaign.
- Acquisition – There is no doubt in the fact that your mobile marketing strategy should be quite a user friendly. No one would like to go for lengthy emails and not even understand your goal. Try to be compact and make sure the important headlines are mentioned on the top.
- Engagement – Potential customers should directly approach the features provided. Everyone should have an opportunity to connect with your brand, and hence you should focus on improving your content’s SEO score.
- Customer Service – Mobile marketing is entirely based on proper customer service management. All the tabs and buttons should be directly linked to the actual website and generate an easy user connection service.
4. Track Mobile Metrics
Mobiles are the most used devices while dealing with this kind of marketing campaign. Make sure that your content is getting positive feedback from the users.
You can track this using various tools to tell you about the improvements you can have on your website. Not to mention, have a regular check on the various statistics and numbers of your campaign.
Tips for Optimized Mobile Marketing
Here are some tips one can use to make one mobile marketing strategy successful.
1. Make your site mobile-friendly and easily navigable
It is important not just to stick to a website but also to make app versions of your website so that it can be used on mobile phones. Make the site and the app easily navigable; just some clicks needed. A user-friendly interface impresses the consumers.
2. Meticulously curate the content
Be careful of the kind of content you put out because the customers are not foolish. Make the content relevant and relatable and perform SEO for reaching a wider audience.
3. Do marketing through SMS
These are a convenient way of sending out marketing communications. Using the customer’s name in starting these messages helps add a personal touch to the message and makes the customer feel important.
4. Create QR Code
QR codes help in increasing curiosity and, along with that, provide ways for quick access.
5. Use Social Media
As people find social media relaxing to use and find it a significant part of their daily routine, host campaigns and quizzes on your social media pages to keep the customers in sync with the brand.
Implementation of a Successful Mobile Marketing strategy
If you understand your consumers, it will help create a message or build communication that would make sense.
People will be motivated to buy only if they find your product or brand viable in their lives somehow. Communicate to them in media platforms where they can be found most often. Spend time researching your customers’ media habits to place marketing communications effectively.
Send out relevant emails in the form of personalized marketing campaigns so that people find them relatable. Optimize it so that the image or the message is not lost on the audience when they try to access it over their mobile phones.
Build coupons, codes, and offers that help draw peoples’ attention to your brand. Attach QR codes that will call them to action to visit your site and make a purchase. In such a way, host daily Instagram stories to let your consumers know of upcoming launches or sales.
Thus, in this age of technology, it can be seen that the internet has become irreplaceable, and because of that, the purchase and usage of smartphones have increased many folds in the market.
As more and more people take to using the smartphone, Marketers need to communicate with consumers so they might feel comfortable and be more active in making purchase decisions.
With the tips above, go ahead and build your mobile marketing strategy and give it a shot to establishing yourself further.