So, do you also want to be a visionary leader?
Then you need to understand that when you are projected into a leadership role from your original place in the crowd, you become the focus of attention.
You are under the scanner now, and there is a set of people that follow your every move with utmost interest. It is so because your decision directly affects the crowd that you were a part of until yesterday.
Every leader should understand that each person in the team, from the lowest rank to the highest, is equally essential to a team’s success. A leadership vision should encompass all and take care of each individual’s needs in the company.
This post will take you deep into the world of Leadership Vision and help you understand how you can be a visionary leader. So, without any further ado, let us get started right away-
Table of Contents
What is Leadership Vision?
A leadership vision is what should keep you going from this point onwards.
The essence of being a leader is about having a vision. You should communicate this vision with your team, and it should be this vision that you move forward to achieve together.
Leadership vision also revolves around-
- The overall goal of the team
- Being best in the industry
- Accomplishing a fixed level of grants or memberships
- Aligning members, customer, prospective members & prospective customers
- Being visionary for own self, family, community, organization, or workplace
Essentials Qualities of a Leadership Vision
Every vision should have a few essential qualities that make it worth following. It should motivate the people who follow the leader to make it their own and achieve their vision.
- The vision should have a set direction and purpose in alignment with the organization’s goals.
- The vision should be able to inspire loyalty and empathy and involve the employees.
- Reflect the strengths, culture, beliefs, and values of the organization
- Inspire the employees’ enthusiasm and commitment of employees and motivate them to be a part of it
- Instill a sense of importance in the employees and help them realize that they are a part of something larger than what they do and what they are
- The vision should be made visible and heard, and it should be carried over to every employee in the organization with constant reminders, announcements, and meetings.
- The vision should be the driving force behind the courses of actions you take, like hiring people, choosing markets, and developing products.
- The vision must motivate people to challenge and outdo themselves.
- Leadership vision should be rational and reasonable, as well as challenging and motivating.
- Visionary leaders are credible, innovative, and clear.
How to Find Leadership Vision in an Organization?
Talking to your team is a suitable method of arriving at a leadership vision.
Talking to your team members might guide you in your thought process and help you better understand your vision.
Here are a few talking points that will take you further in your discussion with your team.
- The company’s culture and its uniqueness
- How to help create a lively work atmosphere in the team
- What are the processes that need improvement, replacement, or removal?
- Is there a necessity for training and personal development in the team?
- Identify the things that hold the employees back from accomplishing the tasks.
- Each member’s inspiration to succeed
- What makes the employees happy at work?
- What are the points for the leader to improve upon?
Finding answers to these points will shed light on what you need to do as a leader and what you should focus on as a leadership vision.
How do you plan to achieve your vision? – This is the next question that comes to mind after you have decided on a leadership vision.
What should you do to take your vision to successful completion? Here are a few thoughts that might help you in achieving your vision.
Short-term and Long-term Goals
What is your vision?
What do you plan to achieve in the long run?
How are you going to get there?
These are questions that need your immediate attention.
The final goal is to achieve your vision.
To get there, you need smaller, short-term goals that keep you going in the direction of the final goal.
These small goals help you keep your focus on the immediate task at hand and not lose yourself in the big picture. Having short-term goals also helps keep the motivation going.
The final goal is to culminate these little steps called short-term goals that keep the momentum up until you reach your final vision.
How to keep your Vision Alive?
Your vision as a leader will attain success only if your team works with you towards achieving it.
A leader cannot attain what he set out to achieve without the help of his team. It is the key to a leader’s success. Your vision, therefore, should be made known to the team. The team should also know how you plan to get there.
Communicating with the team about how far they have reached and how much more to go is essential. It also helps keep the spirit and excitement alive and feel like a part of the vision.
The team should always be reminded of the vision and its importance in its implementation and success. Keeping the team motivated and making them feel a part of the whole process is essential to keep your vision alive.
How to Take your Vision to the Next Level?
Helping your team understand your vision and asking them how they can help make it successful is taking the project to the next level.
As a leader, you have to make sure that each team member knows their part in the whole scheme. It should also be understood that their success is of the utmost importance to the ultimate goal’s success.
Making every member of your team feel he/she is an integral part of your vision’s ultimate success is very integral to your vision’s success.
Knowing you are essential is the best motivation and the best way to get work done and keeping people happy.
Key Leadership Skills to empower Leadership Vision
- Relationship Building is the foundation of a high-performing team
- Agility & Adaptability to stay on the cutting edge
- Innovation & Creativity to push your boundaries
- Employee Motivation to improve company’ efficiency
- Decision-Making to produce the best results
- Conflict Management to be a wise counsel
- Negotiation to win the game
- Critical Thinking is essential for producing a desirable outcome
- Focus & Results Orientation to move towards the road to success
- Commitment to be the leader everyone likes to work for
- Communication to convey information effectively
- Time-Management for controlling your priorities
- Quick Feedback Ability is the key for staying on track
- Cultural Intelligence for being ready for business globalization
- Command Responsibility for being the one in charge
- Self-Awareness to reach the pinnacle
- Delegation for becoming a mentor
- Organization should be your habit
- Consistency for being fair and avoiding favoritism
- Honesty to keep your word
- Team Building as unity is strength
- Emotional Intelligence to know thyself
- Ability to train other people for developing yourself first
- Ability to go above and beyond by expending more effort
- Confidence as for leaders there is no place for fear
In the next section, we will cover some of the key leadership vision quotes that will hone your skills to become a visionary leader-
Quotes on vision by various known leaders
1. “A mark of a leader, an attribute that puts him in a position to show the way for others, is that he is better than most at pointing the direction. As long as he is leading he always has a goal.” – Robert K. Greenleaf
2.“If you want to build a ship, don’t herd people together to collect wood and don’t assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea.” – Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
3.“Vision without execution is hallucination.” – Thomas Edison
4.“The very essence of leadership is that you have to have the vision. You can’t blow an uncertain trumpet.” – Theodore Hesburgh
5. “To the person who does not know where he wants to go there is no favorable wind.” – Seneca
Final Thoughts about Leadership Vision!
A leader has the power to bring out the best in his people. How the leader uses the power invested upon him is the measure of the leader’s success, the company’s success, the team’s success, and the success of each member of the team.
If each member of a team is happy and prosperous, the team succeeds. If the team succeeds, the leader succeeds, and if the leader succeeds, the company succeeds.
On the concluding note, we hope the leadership vision defined above will help you be a visionary leader.
Share your thoughts about the importance of leadership vision in professional and personal life in the comment section below.
Liked this post? Check out the complete series on Leadership