NLP or neuro-linguistic programming is a theory created by renowned Americans John Grinder and Richard Bandler in the 1970s. It is referred to a connection between behavioral patterns, language, and neurological processes learned with experience or help of programming. Neuro-linguistic programming is considered an approach for improving human behavior and achieving specific goals in life.
What is Neuro-Linguistic Programming?
Personal development and understanding of the behavior patterns of self, as well as others, is a desired aspect in professional life. This has been possible through neuro-linguistic programming. It has also been a help in controlling our actions to a considerable extent.
Neuro-linguistic programming is used and studied in both academic and non-academic circles as one of the most powerful systems. This technique of behavioral modification is often used by medical practitioners, psychiatrists, general counselors, and hypnotherapists.
NLP or neuro-linguistic programming is credited with treating several problems of medical nature, for instance, allergy, learning disorders, depression, phobias, etc. with a single session. Its therapeutic benefits have impressed even people with a medical background
Because of its high popularity, neuro-linguistic programming was commercialized, and firms started using the system in industries. With time it became a favorite of firms that run leadership training seminars for government agencies and business organizations.
Components of programming
The significant components of neuro-linguistic programming are as follows-
One of the significant components of neuro-linguistic programming is that consciousness further divides into two separate paths. One which a person does knowingly and is known as the conscious component and the other unknowingly that is referred to as the unconscious component.
Every human being has several experiences in his unconscious mind and most cases, these representations have a major impact on our conscious decisions
The language we use as well as our five senses of smell, taste, touch, hearing, and sight helps people to look at the world and gain experiences subjectively. These representations control human behavior.
An essential component of neuro-linguistic programming is subjectivity. It refers to the manipulation of subjective experiences through a change in behavior.
The third and final component of neuro-linguistic programming is learning. It believes that it is imitative behavior that can be modified to create the desired behavior.
Reasons for an undertaking of neuro-linguistic programming
The main reasons for an undertaking of neuro-linguistic programming are as follows-
- Gain full control over emotions and thinking process
- Achieve desired success
- Become an expert at identifying non-verbal clues
- Eliminate phobias and fears
- Become an excellent and inspiring communicator
- Boost subconscious awareness
- Effective communication
- Correct unwanted behavior
- Find hidden information
Top techniques of neuro-linguistic programming
Some of the top techniques of NLP or neuro-linguistic programming are as follows-
1. NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of Dissociation
Feelings like shyness, nervousness, sadness, anxiety, etc. are part and parcel of human life. Most people have what we call a terrible gut feeling whenever they are in certain situations.
Their subconscious mind wants to protest and warn at the same time. NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of dissociation has proved a boon in such circumstances. It takes the following steps for successful implementation.
- First of all, it identifies all the negative emotions that you want to eliminate from your system, for instance, discomfort, rage, fear, anxiousness, etc.
- Next, the individual takes the stand of an observer and imagines himself floating out of the body
- The individual will start noticing the change immediately
- Imagine the whole process once again if you want a double dose of dissociation to remove all the negative emotions.
2. NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of Influence and Persuasion
Are you interested in persuading and influencing others, ethically of course. NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of Influence and Persuasion is a powerful tool that is used for both the purpose it mentions as well as in overcoming fear and conflicts.
The best part of the therapy is that the people are not consciously aware during this therapy.
3. NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of Content Framing
Feelings like helplessness and negativity become a part of the daily life of some people. They start fearing certain situations that they feel can lead to more problems. At such times NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of Content Framing can help in reframing the whole situation.
It can change the meaning of the experience from bad to good, negative to positive, and helplessness to empowerment. It shifts focus and clears the thinking process so that an individual can now take even-handed and rational decisions.
4. NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of Rapport / Getting Other People to Like You
Are you finding it difficult to get along with other people. Well, at such times, NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of Rapport / Getting Other People to Like You is your best option.
This technique can assist in building viable rapport with anyone and everyone. Just mirror the tone of voice, body language, and words of the person you want to create a rapport with. The brain will then send mirror neurons that are pleasure sensors that enhance a sense of liking for people mirroring them.
Use subtlety to create an unconscious rapport; otherwise, the other person may try to break it.
5. NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of Anchoring Yourself
It is quite easy to condition yourself to a specific behavior pattern because of a particular reason. This is stimulus-response and can be created through neurological association.
NLP or neuro-linguistic programming technique of Anchoring Yourself assists individuals to associate themselves with the desired emotional response with a specific sensation or a phrase.
For instance, you can connect a particular ringtone with a happy feeling and condition yourself accordingly. Whenever you hear that tone, you will be reminded of the associated positive emotion and memory with it. It takes the following steps for successful implementation of this technique.
Steps in Neuro-Linguistic Programming
- First of all, it identifies all the positive emotions that you want to feel in your body, for instance, happiness, confidence, positivity, laughter, calmness, etc
- Decide what type of anchor you want is it a specific touch, for instance, pulling your ears or squeezing your fingers, or it is an external trigger like ringing a bell or a ringtone. It should not be a common trigger but a unique one that you do not use in everyday life.
- Think of a specific event or time when you felt that positive emotion that you want to associate with. Close your eyes and imagine yourself over there so that you can relive the memory. Make adjustments in your body language so that you are in that same state and feeling the same things
- Now touch the trigger that you have chosen. You will feel that swell as you relive the memory. Release the touch as the emotional state starts wearing off
- This action will create a stimulus-response that will trigger the emotion whenever you make that touch.
- You can make the response strong and powerful by adding another memory where you felt that same state by using the same trigger.
- It is possible to take help of this technique when you want to feel that specific emotion
The benefits of NLP or neuro-linguistic programming are as follows-
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial as it helps people to take control of their life. They can use language with grace and charisma that allows them to achieve the desired goals quite easily.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial as it gives people the necessary clarity and direction in life. It helps people to understand their current values that are driving your behavior so that you can make changes towards a better way of life.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial as it helps in learning about how to resolve conflicts with a minimum of fuss.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial as it helps in understanding the mindset and capabilities of people who have gained tremendous success
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in improving both organizational and team performances
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial as it replaces limited beliefs with powerful ones and unwanted behavior with one that is considered desirable.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in reducing stress and anxiety in a person. It is a therapeutic approach that has been a blessing in minimizing the feeling of claustrophobia, which is associated with an anxiety disorder. The guided sessions and linguistic mechanism that it adopts during the courses provide calmness and understanding of the situation
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in the coaching world as it helps to remove mental roadblocks with some of the best possible techniques
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in improving relationships. It is seen that the use of this strategy reduces depression and improves mood. It also enhances your understanding of how people operate and how to respond to them in various situations. When your mind is fresh, it will help to build a healthy relationship in both professional and personal life.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in business as it helps to improve coaching skills, leadership techniques, improved training, public speaking skills, and communication so that employees can reach new career heights
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in eliminating fears or phobias. It includes strategies that will help to act as a guide to your behavior so that you can make positive changes.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in sports. It helps the team in harnessing their mind to improve personal dedication, resilience, and determination.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in weight loss programs. Obesity is more about what’s in your mind and less about appetite. The behavior modification strategy will prove a blessing in changing behavior so that a person starts eating less.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in improving creativity. It helps an individual to understand the impact of sensory elements on his behavior. This will help in looking at the issues in a different light and solving them with a quiver full of new strategies and ideas
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in promoting the concept of learning in individuals. Sometimes children are unable to divert their minds towards studies. Implementing this concept helps to remove so-called roadblocks in their mind so that they can put their full onus on learning,
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in maintaining good health. It assists in changing bad and unhealthy habits with good and healthy ones.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in improving professional success. Employees working in a company can take its help and make changes in a behavior pattern that will suit the requirements of professional life. It encourages good behavior and discourages bad behavior from boosting productivity.
- Neuro-linguistic programming is highly beneficial in the education sector. The skills learned by students help them improve the level of concentration, overcome learning disabilities, and remove negative thoughts.
The limitations of NLP or neuro-linguistic programming are as follows-
- NLP or neuro-linguistic programming has an eclectic nature and is difficult to define as a proper treatment method
- NLP or neuro-linguistic programming does not have empirical evidence to its credit. The lack of appropriate claims and documentation works against it
As per the neuro-linguistic programming, human beings are in a behavioral loop where the external behavior leads to the internal response, and this results in a person responding in a specific manner.
NLP is considered an effective system that puts its onus on minimizing negativity and maximizing positivity by reprogramming our body and mind.